• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

mariomike said:
Been a while since I did BMQ, but from what I remember,  the bayonets looked pretty lethal.

If you fall on it, then yes it’s pretty lethal and deadly. If you try to cut thread with it, good luck.

paleomedic said:
If you fall on it, then yes it’s pretty lethal and deadly.

So I've heard,

Member of Ceremonial Guard Wounded by Bayonet
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/106511.0
"I came back to post when I had the epiphany of the fact that it was most likely the metal "clickers" that so many put under their boots."
4 pages.

paleomedic said:
If you fall on it, then yes it’s pretty lethal and deadly. If you try to cut thread with it, good luck.

Good luck indeed. That's a violation of QR&O 103.48 – DESTRUCTION, LOSS OR IMPROPER DISPOSAL

I was talking about threads,like the ones on your uniform or the ones you will use to sew labels with. I’m pretty sure those are exempt from QR&O 103.48.

The bayonet won’t cut paracord wither without some serious sawing and elbow grease.

paleomedic said:
I was talking about threads,like the ones on your uniform or the ones you will use to sew labels with. I’m pretty sure those are exempt from QR&O 103.48.

The bayonet won’t cut paracord wither without some serious sawing and elbow grease.
If I get approval for a straight razors you best be sure I'm bringing my hone. Nothings worse in life than a dull knife.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Elmo said:
Straight razors, shavettes or double sided safety razors. Yes or no.

For reference to the discussion,

October 2018
CANADIAN FORCES LEADERSHIP AND RECRUIT SCHOOL
http://www.forces.gc.ca/assets/FORCES_Internet/docs/en/training-establishments/ji-bmq-bmoq-v15.pdf
1 Razor with blades (non disposable)

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces.

mariomike said:
For reference to the discussion,

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces.
But by that standard and definition a straight razor and or a shavette/ safety razor would be applicable. My guess is theres an underlying rule that says no but I want to make sure.

paleomedic said:

I was trying to make a joke, my problem is I'm not very funny. That said the CAF could probably still find a way to charge someone for cutting or burning uniform threads if they wanted to.

What’s the procedure with prescription inserts? I have -1, and I provided my prescription during medical. I don’t really need the inserts cuz I see well in my opinion. Is that mandatory to get them during your BMQ or you can avoid getting them not to waste money. Will they ask people about inserts or they will have them ready without your participation?

What’s the procedure with prescription inserts? I have -1, and I provided my prescription during medical. I don’t really need the inserts cuz I see well in my opinion. Is that mandatory to get them during your BMQ or you can avoid getting them not to waste money. Will they ask people about inserts or they will have them ready without your participation?

V1994,

Mike Bobbitt said:
  • You will not spam the boards. This is usually described as making the same post over and over, or the same post to multiple forums or threads. Thanks for your cooperation,

Army.ca Staff

What’s the procedure with prescription inserts? I have -1, and I provided my prescription during medical. I don’t really need the inserts cuz I see well in my opinion. Is that mandatory to get them during your BMQ or you can avoid getting them not to waste money. Will they ask people about inserts or they will have them ready without your participation????

Sorry, my bad. Inserts are kinda small glasses that go inside your ballistics and gas mask (that’s what I have been told by CFRC). My question is: is that mandatory to wear your glasses if you are more than fine without them ? Are they gonna check your vision again during the BMQ to determine whether you need glasses or not ?

V1994 said:
Sorry, my bad. Inserts are kinda small glasses that go inside your ballistics and gas mask (that’s what I have been told by CFRC). My question is: is that mandatory to wear your glasses if you are more than fine without them ? Are they gonna check your vision again during the BMQ to determine whether you need glasses or not ?

Oh! Wow, learn something new every day. (I didn’t get my glasses until well after leaving CFLRS, so that option never applied to me.) Someone else will have to chime in, but AFAIK you still have to bring your prescription with you and staff will take care of whoever needs what during the applicable day...including those I guess.

Hi,

Where it mentions a bag, (day pack). Is there anything against a framed hiking bag? I got given one for free and I was going to use it.

Thank you,

Turner

Arty.Runner said:
Hi,

Where it mentions a bag, (day pack). Is there anything against a framed hiking bag? I got given one for free and I was going to use it.

Thank you,

Turner
Probably overkill. If you're flying in you will have to pay extra for baggage weight. Tbh I got a small 24" duffel bag and a 3day backpack. One for checked baggage and another for carry on. You shouldn't need to bring much because most things you can get through canex.

V1994 said:

It's up to you but it's not mandatory to wear your glasses. There's a non-mandatory vision check if you want new pairs of free glasses and the insert for the ballistic glasses while at basic.

Elmo said:
Probably overkill. If you're flying in you will have to pay extra for baggage weight. Tbh I got a small 24" duffel bag and a 3day backpack. One for checked baggage and another for carry on. You shouldn't need to bring much because most things you can get through canex.

According to CANFORGEN 110/14, Air Canada will allow CAF members to take up to three bags (up to 32kg each) free of charge and West Jet will allow four bags.  Personnel traveling to Basic Training are CAF members.  The trouble, however, is they likely don't have ID cards yet.  They will have travel documents though, so it may be worthwhile asking for this benefit when checking in.  However, don't fight the counter staff if they don't allow it (the rules do say you need an ID card).  It's not their fault.

Having said this, if you end up having to pay for baggage, and you're only bringing those items you were told to bring, keep your receipt and you should be reimbursed on your travel claim.

Good morning,

Looking through my list for what I need to pack for BMQ and on the list is "1 water resistant sport watch". Does anyone know offhand if a Fitbit is acceptable?

Thank you in advance

Back