• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

::)

Ruckmarch

How very brilliant of you to offer some advice that counters what the Joining Instructions say.

Bully for you, and your luck, that your Instructors didn't care about a pair of runners, as per checklist, being missing.

Are you positive that the OP will have the exact same Instructors, or will (s)he have anal Instructors who want to see everything as per checklist?

You know darn well the twit isn't paying attention to detail and will no doubt ask if (s)he can bring a laptop, next?    ::)

If the list says to bring something--bring it.  

Rinker got his answer, even if he doesn't know how to ask a question, perhaps it will help with his attitude also. And before someone else decides to tell others to blatantly break the rules, we'll lock this up.

Milnet.ca Staff

I am leaving for my BMQ in 9 days and have purchased everything except the following :

Plastic soap dish
plastic toothbrush
toothpaste
mouth wash
dental floss
non disposable razor with blades
shaving cream or gel, can
deodorant
shampoo
laundry detergent

I am hoping that all of these items will be available to me at the CANEX upon my arrival in st.jean as they seem like basic items... I'm hoping that if i am wrong somebody will correct me before i am without these items for 2-4 days (yikes)

As for the drinking and going to bars... come one, I love to go and have a beer as much as the next guy... but this is a course designed to help you in your ****ING MILITARY CAREER !!! , I don't think its too much of the CF to ask for you to try your darn est for near sobriety over the 13 weeks. I am not saying I am not going to relax with a beer on weekend 5, I am just hoping that we can all enjoy it responsibly.

I would suggest get the plastic soap dish x2 and toothbrush x2 and shaving cream x 2 (one for use and one for inspection) and get them before hand.  Everything you can buy now simply put buy now why risk that the canex is out because everyone else waited and bought their stuff last minute plan ahead and avoid getting jacked up for something simple

Yes the buy 2 of each trick. If you were on the BMOQ course where you get a "private box", you can hide the extra in there and just always leave the other one on show ready for inspection.

Your first week in st jean, you are going to be given $220 advance no matter what, marched to canex as a platoon and made to purchase stuff like padlocks, laundry bag et al. After about 4-5 weeks, you will be able to go to canex by yourself.

Canex is expensive and you will soon find out when you get your weekends off and go into town or Montreal. There is a wal-mart and boston pizza down the road that most people hangout at

a lot of the time on here they suggest things like swiffers, rubber gloves, 2 of everything and extra stuff is that really absolutly neded I am trying to save room.

Also do we need a pocket knife/multi tool or do we get the gerber on our fourth day?

Also does the Canex at St. Jean have things like FMP books for refill, pens, pencils, etc...

Sorry if it sounds stupid but Ive never been in a CANEX or know whats there.

phionex said:
a lot of the time on here they suggest things like swiffers, rubber gloves, 2 of everything and extra stuff is that really absolutly neded I am trying to save room.

Also do we need a pocket knife/multi tool or do we get the gerber on our fourth day?

Also does the Canex at St. Jean have things like FMP books for refill, pens, pencils, etc...

Don't worry. You don't need 2 of everything. If you did, the instruction would have said, bring 2 of everything or, buy 2 of everything. Besides, if you are doing everything you can to keep things tidy and clean, why would you have a secondary set for inspection in the first place?

Don't let those comments confuse you. Just prepare as per instruction and any further instruction in regards to what you need, will be provided when you get there, I am sure.

Good Luck.

Thermal said:
Don't worry. You don't need 2 of everything. If you did, the instruction would have said, bring 2 of everything or, buy 2 of everything. Besides, if you are doing everything you can to keep things tidy and clean, why would you have a secondary set for inspection in the first place?

Don't let those comments confuse you. Just prepare as per instruction and any further instruction in regards to what you need, will be provided when you get there, I am sure.

Good Luck.

1 question for you.  Have you graced the Green Doors of CFLRS yet?  (i.e. have you completed, started BMQ?)

If not...why are you giving advice on what someone needs/doesn't need, should/shouldn't do?

See, its like this.  August 9th, I have to take an Air Canada flight to Toronto.  I am not a pilot. Therefore, you won't see me in the cockpit, giving advice on things I know nothing about, such as how to fly a plane, land a plane, what to do on take-off, things like that.

Only thing I bought prior to Canex are hangers.
I'm bringing electric razor (head), swiffers, wet ones and transparent soap.

I intend to not cheat with a 2nd kit, only cheats are the transparent soap and swiffers.  :-*

Do y'all know if we can bring our own pillow?

Eye In The Sky said:
1 question for you.  Have you graced the Green Doors of CFLRS yet?  (i.e. have you completed, started BMQ?)
No, not yet.

Eye In The Sky said:
If not...why are you giving advice on what someone needs/doesn't need, should/shouldn't do?
It was not an advice. It was my speech of general common sense with reference to the joining instruction that is addressed to every recruits heading for the St-Jean green doors. If you look at my comment again, you will see that non of it says anything about "needs/doesn't need, should/shouldn't do" outside of the guidelines of the CFLRS' joining instruction. (For example, above person was wondering if we need to bring a pocket knife - well, this is what it says on the instruction - Fire arms or edged weapons (switch-blade knives, knives with blades longer than 6 inches) are prohibited.

Eye In The Sky said:
See, its like this.  August 9th, I have to take an Air Canada flight to Toronto.  I am not a pilot. Therefore, you won't see me in the cockpit, giving advice on things I know nothing about, such as how to fly a plane, land a plane, what to do on take-off, things like that.
See, it would be like this. August 9th, I have to take an Air Canada flight to Toronto. I should be on time for check-ins. Bring my photo ID's. Sit tight and buckle up seat belt when taking off and landing. I should follow the airliners instruction when boarding an aircraft whether I am a pilot or not.

Don't worry. You don't need 2 of everything. If you did, the instruction would have said, bring 2 of everything or, buy 2 of everything.
Very true the instructions would say bring two of everything but let me tell you I have been in for years and still have a second set for inspections.  I am merely offering advice from my personal experience.  For obvious reasons everyone situation might be different (instructors being harsh or lenient although the latter is unlikely) as well back in the day when I graced those green doors we were allowed to keep personal items in a shoe box (one from either the boots or dress shoes you are given) that was free from inspection, so keeping a second set was simple, granted times have changed but better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.  Just my two cents

cdnsoldier1982 said:
Very true the instructions would say bring two of everything but let me tell you I have been in for years and still have a second set for inspections.  I am merely offering advice from my personal experience.  For obvious reasons everyone situation might be different (instructors being harsh or lenient although the latter is unlikely) as well back in the day when I graced those green doors we were allowed to keep personal items in a shoe box (one from either the boots or dress shoes you are given) that was free from inspection, so keeping a second set was simple, granted times have changed but better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.  Just my two cents

I do appreciate your advice, thank you.
Just about to leave right now, to the airport, wish me luck.  :salute:

Thermal out.

lucasbutts said:
I am leaving for my BMQ in 9 days and have purchased everything except the following :

Plastic soap dish
plastic toothbrush
toothpaste
mouth wash
dental floss
non disposable razor with blades
shaving cream or gel, can
deodorant
shampoo
laundry detergent

All of this is available at the Canex. You may not get the brand you want/like, though, when it comes to shampoo, deodorant, or detergent.

cdnsoldier1982 said:

I agree. I tried the 'not cheat' approach and almost got charged for when my shaving gel decided to spit out a tiny little bit of goop one day. A counselling is one thing, but you don't want to be charged for poor hygiene. I'm convinced that the instructors like it when candidates have a shadow kit for inspections because it makes life easier both for us and for them. ;)

Thermal,

Good luck.  Keep it simple...do what you are told, when you are told, how you are told.

If you're wondering where that advice comes from...I used to be an Instructor at CFLRS and many other courses army-side.

Keep your stick on the ice!

phionex said:

You can get swiffers, Magic Erasers, gloves, etc. at the Canex. You can also get books and pens, but you will get what you need from your course staff in that regard anyway, so I really wouldn't bother spending any $$ on that. When you run out, you just send a msg through your chain of command (via the course senior or CPC) that you need more and it will magically appear.  :D

Not sure what you need a pocket knife for, although you may be able to get one at the Canex as well. You won't get your bayonnet until you get your rifle...somewhere around week 4/5. (I think for us it was the end of week 4 and then wpns handling was week 5.)

Eye In The Sky said:
Thermal,

Good luck.  Keep it simple...do what you are told, when you are told, how you are told.

If you're wondering where that advice comes from...I used to be an Instructor at CFLRS and many other courses army-side.

Keep your stick on the ice!

Thank you very much.

The trick to the saving gel can is, don't cover it immediately after use, leave it open till just before inspection. I had a shadow kit during my time and a few others did too. I was the master of making bed with hospital corners though and ironing.

For those about to go, just remember that for every unbutton shirt/jacket and thread on your your clothes, it's 25 push-ups in the middle of your hall counted out loud.

Share the duties amongst your section members, if one person is good at making beds, get the person to teach everyone or go round doing it for all of you, vice-versa.

I was in the blue sector, so that was like living in a mansion  ;D

Everyone talks about having a shadow kit but exactly where would you place this? I hear that if the instructors find them they will not be exactly pleased about it.

jacksparrow said:
For those about to go, just remember that for every unbutton shirt/jacket and thread on your your clothes, it's 25 push-ups in the middle of your hall counted out loud.

Or write a 2000-word essay on why buttoning all your buttons is important.  >:D

Here's a tip: Check all your buttons after your inspections. Sometimes, the DS' hands slip and accidentally open a couple when they are perusing your closet. ;)

Tempestshade said:
Everyone talks about having a shadow kit but exactly where would you place this? I hear that if the instructors find them they will not be exactly pleased about it.

There's a personal locker space of about 1" X 1" to keep private items that you don't wish to display during an inspection. Although it is unlocked for inspection (all your locks must be on your desk), our DS never opened those little cubbies to look at what is inside. Just don't forget to lock it when you go out.

Back