• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Para-Riggers

I’m new to the forum and I’ve done some searching around for this topic but couldn’t really find anything. I’m currently a RSM in cadets and I plan on getting my wings within the next two years I have left. I’m going reg force once I age out and joining up with the RWR. The problem is they don’t have a jump tasking, so my questions are. What courses do I have to take to become a rigger. Will I have to get posted to PPCLI Edmonton or Trenton? Any information on the process or even something to do with becoming a para instructor would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rigger is a sub trade of Supply Technician, so you'd have to join that trade. Once in the trade they typically do the para PT test during the QL3 to select people for the Rigger positions. Joining doesn't mean you'll get one of those positions, though I know Supply is under strength I'm not sure on the competitiveness or availability of Rigger positions at the moment.

TrunkMonkey315 said:
Rigger is a sub trade of Supply Technician not Infantry, so you'd have to join that trade. Once in the trade they typically do the para PT test during the QL3 to select people for the Rigger positions.

That may be changing to Rigger becoming an any trade posn, years away from a decision likely but possible.

MJP said:
That may be changing to Rigger becoming an any trade posn, years away from a decision likely but possible.

I could see that happening since they've already done it with a few trades, I think it would be a good move.

TrunkMonkey315 said:
I could see that happening since they've already done it with a few trades, I think it would be a good move.

I agree

So basically, I’d have to do my BMQ then DP-1 then QL3(not to sure on what that is assuming it’s a course for supply techs) and depending on my fitness they’d select me for rigger? I’ve heard that my local recruiter is pretty good at helping people getting where they wanna go.

64McDonaugh said:
So basically, I’d have to do my BMQ then DP-1 then QL3(not to sure on what that is assuming it’s a course for supply techs) and depending on my fitness they’d select me for rigger? I’ve heard that my local recruiter is pretty good at helping people getting where they wanna go.

BMQ, BMQ-L (SQ) then QL3 (your basic trades course). If selected for Rigger on your 3's you'll move to your Jump course then your riggers course upon completion. If not selected, you'll be a regular Supply tech.

DP-1 is for the Infantry, which a Rigger is not.

Ok, I see. My plan is to get my wings In cadets so I can skip through jump course in the military unless they’d send me for a refresher. So I’d have to do BMQ-L? Is that the BMQ course for everyone but infantry? And I’m also not too sure on what the QL3 is. Sorry haha

64McDonaugh said:
Ok, I see. My plan is to get my wings In cadets so I can skip through jump course in the military unless they’d send me for a refresher. So I’d have to do BMQ-L? Is that the BMQ course for everyone but infantry? And I’m also not too sure on what the QL3 is. Sorry haha

Scroll down to Basic Occupation Training and that's what you'll learn on the QL3.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/administration-support/supply-technician.html

Not sure how it will work if you have your wings via Cadets. Supply tech can be any element, if you go Army you'll do BMQ-L at some point, either before or after your 3's. I think there may be a few trades in the Army that don't do it, I can't remember. Most will though. With that being said I don't know how the Rigger world works when it comes to your element, maybe someone else has more info. I've only seen them wear the Army DEU but I've only met a few.

MJP said:

I think that it was an any trade job for a while in the 70s and 80s or so I seem to remember announcements in CFSOs (repeated in ROs) calling for applications.  It didn't become a Sup Tech specialty until 1984 (according to the attached from https://canadianairborneforces.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2010-Maroon-Beret.pdf)

Attachments

• History of para rigging.png
    History of para rigging.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 282
64McDonaugh said:
Ok, I see. My plan is to get my wings In cadets so I can skip through jump course in the military unless they’d send me for a refresher.

Your jump course is your jump course, you're not skipping through anything. It's likely just as hard to get a spot in Cadets as it is in the RegF.

The jump course is pretty hard to get on but my corps gets pretty good opportunities to go. I’m also in great physical shape and score very high on the testing which helps people get selected. I’ve talked to a rigger, Jon from Warrior Gear he said it’s not hard to do it’s just a lengthy and demanding course.
Im planning on staying in the forces till I could get full pension as long as it’s a good work life and it’s not too brutal.

Blackadder1916 said:
I think that it was an any trade job for a while in the 70s and 80s or so I seem to remember announcements in CFSOs (repeated in ROs) calling for applications.  It didn't become a Sup Tech specialty until 1984 (according to the attached from https://canadianairborneforces.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2010-Maroon-Beret.pdf)

Yes I should have said changing back to any any trade job. It has been in the Sup world for so long not many people know that it use to be any trade.

So how hard would you say it is to get selected for rigger or para instructor? Is it hard to even get in to the course(s) or is it by chance/avaliabitly you get in?

The Packer Rigger trade originated in 1950 in the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps and the troops practiced their craft in 28 Central Ordnance Depot in Camp Shilo, MB. It seems to me that as part of the unification - trade consolidation goat screw of the late sixties and early seventies, they ended up combined with RCAF safety systems techs and may even have been given that title. (NOTE I AM NOT SURE, BUT A BRAIN CELL KICKED THIS BIT OF TRIVIA OUT OF ITS RECESSES.) The rigger world did move to Edmonton as the Canadian Forces Parachute Maintenance Depot.

So what - this suggests the trade was associated with the logistics world for most of its existence. I know one of my (para qualified) instructors in recruit training in the RCA Depot in 1958 remustered to RCOC and was posted to 28 COD to be trained as a rigger.

Thanks for the history Old Sweat very interesting. I know that if someone wants to be a rigger once they complete phase 3 of rigging they can be offered to pack the SAR’s chutes.

Packer/Riggers are a Sub Occupation of 00168 Sup Tech.  Any Sup Tech, regardless of uniform, can apply for this.  We just had an excellent LS leave the East Coast to be a Packer/Rigger.

As far as I know this Sub Occ is only open to Supply Techs.

I have never been so inclined.  But they seem to be continually recruiting as I think they have trouble filling their numbers. 

Having had them in to give briefs on Sup Tech 3s and 5s that I have taught, you are required to complete a separate PT test, and pass and interview.  At which point you will either be selected or not.  After that its off on that path.  I think which goes:  Jump Course -> Packing Trg and OJT -> Some years later Rigger Quals are possibly earned.

Packers and Riggers are not the same thing.  At least thats how It was explained to me a laymen.

You are still a Sup Tech while under this employment and will be required to complete all of the QL levels of Supply Trades trg.

They are also incorporated in the Sup Tech merit listings for promotions.  But they can promote out of sequence to fill a vacancy in the Packer/Rigger world.

You will also very likely leave the Packer/Rigger world for Sup Tech employment at some point as you are promoted up the ranks.

Thank you for the in-depth reply. What are the QL’s of supply tech and how long do they take to reach? So what your saying is you’ll have to leave the appointment of “Rigger” at some point of your career unless you decide to stay Cpl forever?

64McDonaugh said:
Thank you for the in-depth reply. What are the QL’s of supply tech and how long do they take to reach? So what your saying is you’ll have to leave the appointment of “Rigger” at some point of your career unless you decide to stay Cpl forever?

A QL is a Qualification Level.  So for Supply we have QL 3,4,5 and 6.  These are generally qualifications of trade proficiency that are required for you to earn a substantive rank.  The vary in lengths of 4 weeks to 2 months.  QL 4 is a package that is singed off by completing tasks in different areas of Supply.  This QL can take a few months.

Packer/Riggers are a small group, so the more you move up in rank the less positions there are.  Keep in mind I never said you would have to leave just that it is very likely as you progress through the ranks.

To sum up.  If you want to get into the Packer/Rigger world, join as a Sup Tech and on your QL3 course make sure you make your wishes known to your course staff and they will help you start down that path.  You should have a brief from the Packer/Riggers on your QL3.  They will also PT test, interview, select and offer all before your course is over. 

Back