• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pastimes and hobbies that hook you :)

Vets Dottir

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I have hobbies on the brain right now and while in here I decided to look for hobbies threads, interested to read what folks in here like to do, and maybe taklk about some of my own pastimes. I found a very old thread, last posted in in 2003, so maybe a new start thread is a good way to go.

At 55 now, looking back throughout life and right up to date, some interests just keep drawing me back to them eventually. I've always been creatively inclined, artistic leaning, but never really took anything far and developed my talents and skills. I putter.

I also got into geneology and family history and thats been an off and on thing for about 6 or so years. I was heavy into in for a while but slacked off a lot ... I have TONS of info, here there and everywhere, still disorganized, and I organize a bit here and there, now and then. ;D

Music, I use to play a few chords on guitar and was constantly singing since early childhood. Never took that far, just for pleasure, but I have sang a few times at open mike or music get together. Now my voice is toast, Never use it so I guess I've about lost it. Guitar and piano ... no can do anymore (severe ulnar drift)

Drawing, painting, doodling. Planned on art school but becoming Mom derailed that and kept that to messing around when the urge hits. Still undeveloped, untapped, but was told I had a ton of talent ... oh well, pfffft ... still untapped  ;D I mess around sometimes to see what materials and tools can do.

Jewelry, the most skilled as I lived with a goldsmith and worked for him. He trained me to do almost everything and use almost every tool and I made a lot of jewelry, up to and including making gold and sterling wire starting from a lump of metal. Jewlry I made was all over Vancouver and New York etc. I made whatever orders needed filling, rings and earings etc. When I left, I also left the full workbench and shop behind so that was that BUT I did get into making jewelry by hand a bit, as a hobby. Bought ready made wire and stones and beads and such and put them together ... my way. People loved them. A woman from a Wells Fargo saw some of my designs and wanted me to supply her. I couldn't. No money to stock up and produce.

These days with the severe ulnar drift I'm very limited in what I can do with my hands BUT I'm having a blast these days, testing out my hands, to find out what they can do with simple hand tools and inexpensive available supplies that I can buy or make myself (challenges the creative juices) Who knows, maybe I will manage to come up with designs I can design and make and get a biz licence and start a little homebased entrepreneurial endeavor.  If things start to move I can start buying and making better quality designs with some quality control, and who knows, grow! As far as biz goes, there are a lot of ways to branch out from just making jewelry. I'm thinking thinking thinking and having fun running with this to see where it leads me. I love a challenge!

Have you folks seen some of the art jewelry out there? Amazing stuff, some of it. Awesome to go "art designs" rather than just "assemble"

This keeps my excess free time and me busy and happy being challenged and is great exercise for my hands.

Its fun and I like creating designs and things.

Lots of things I would enjoy getting into but costs for a lot of hobbies and things I'm interested in just aren't in my budget, like for many folks.

For instance, I won't be restoring any WW2 vehicles or collecting much, unless of course I start making and selling tons of jewelry and art ... yeah right  ;D

It's interesting to hear what other people are into so I hope people will jump in and talk about their "my thing" :)

I used to be heavily into genealogy but all the easy stuff is done and all the new stuff is pretty abstract after 200 years back.  I've found lines back to Odin and Thor but I'm not too sure about the accuracy of it.  An amazing thing is proving family legends.  An ancestor from Russia was supposed to have been in Napoleon's army that invaded Russia.  Finding 5 French/German POWs in the village confirmed the story but I still haven't pegged which one.  I am still working on a Loyalist connection in Hastings County and my daughters could join the Daughters of the American Revolution.  My direct maternal ancestor lived at Cornwall for a short period but ended up in a New York militia regiment in the War of 1812.  My wife's ancestors were rich English who made their money in Jamaica and married into rich and powerful families.  Putting one's ancestors in history makes it much more meaningful.  Yes it's totally addictive.

Dennis Ruhl said:
I am still working on a Loyalist connection in Hastings County and my daughters could join the Daughters of the American Revolution. 

That might also make them United Empire Loyalist.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Empire_Loyalist
I used to subscribe to Ancestry.com

Good stuff!!! Yes, geneology is totally fascinating to go digging up family history and you start learning all sorts of things about history of the people and times too.

My dads side is documented and preserved going back to almost Adam and Eve - was Adam or Eve really a Viking? :D  Just kidding abot that original couple. Dad though born in Canada was Icelandic parents and ancestors. I think records and connections go back to some time in the 800's for my dad's side??? Father of New Iceland (Canada settlement my relative started our Manitoba Icelandic community) Can't remember but trees go pretty far back. Very interesting stuff.

Through Moms side I think earliest so far is about 14/1500's but I'm descended from the furtrade usual blends of European and local natives, so some of my genes haves been here way longer than explorers and furtraders genes :D

Researching one family WW2 soldier set me down this path and mingling with military types for years that I've connected to through my geneology. It never ends and its been great to break into. I think with geneology its a case of "I bet you can't do just one" ... the door is open and the family tree is full of wars histories and service. What a world of info and history AND FRIENDS its opened me up to.

The net is incredible! I guess the net is my other hobby. Daily addiction :D

mariomike said:
That might also make them United Empire Loyalist.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Empire_Loyalist
I used to subscribe to Ancestry.com

My GGGrandmother was probably born at Trenton, Ontario, in the 1820s and I can't find her birth.  She had a genealogist's curse surname - Smith.  There were more than a few Smith Loyalist families.  She married into a family of rebels and traitors whose history is well documented by the DAR.

I've been working on family genealogy for quite a few years now - spending way too much time "digging up dead relllies", and looking for black sheep! Mostly its my grandfather on my mother's side who's the dilemma - but I'm beginning to make some headway there. One of my late husband's ancestors rode in the Charge of the Light Brigade and lived to tell the tale - still seated on his horse! His name was James Webster, and there's an internet page on him. One part of the family is traced back to 1720, and I'm still digging through the 1800's for the other parts. They come from England and Scotland, which makes the search harder from Winnipeg, Manitoba! Lots of fun, though, and like someone's already said, the history you learn!

Other hobbies are knitting and crochet. I've just finished the first chihuahua sweater I've ever knitted.

Hawk

I know that Smith curse! Mine too, Moms side.

I also remember going through every J or Joseph Smith in the Archivianet Attestations papers - I think more than 200 Joseph's and my first try, found nothing. Months/year/s? later I tried again, one by one down the list, opening every one, and BINGO!!! I think my Grandpa had not been transcribed yet the first time I looked. I don't know.  I had no idea if he had served. He had!!! Excellent :) My Smith's very hard to find in the haystacks but lots of cross referencing and checking I found my Smith's greats and stop dead at Westminster, 1808 I think. No solid birthdate or place or parents names other than arriving FROM Westminster 1808 to work for HBC ... RRS settled down at retirement and the rest is history, or family tree.

I would love to know his/our Smith line farther back. Yeah, Smith is tough if you don't have more than common given name and there are so many ... Westminster areas alone has tons of John James Smith's. HBC doesn't have that background info either. SO I empathize with you but keep up the hope. Someone will show up with the rest of the tree, or parts of it. Net is amazing.

Hawk, did any of your family serve/work for the Hudsons Bay Company? If so, I don't know if you are aware of this but HBC archives shows biographical sheets on their employees/servants. Some give incredible amounts of service info and person and even family data. Some give almost zilch.

A great resource for peole with ancestors with HBC history :)

http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/biographical/index.html

I waited a LONG time when I started searching the bio sheets because they had only transcribed up to "M's" I think ... a much longer wait (a year? more? and finally one day I popped in and there they were! HURRAH Looks like they've completed transcribing the whole alphabet now though.

Geneology can sure be a long drawn out process waiting for bits of info to show up, or to find.

Hawk said:
Other hobbies are knitting and crochet. I've just finished the first chihuahua sweater I've ever knitted.

Hawk

I think maybe this is an age thing for me? I've started to enjoy and get interested in traditional things like lace and pearls and needlework things. Love watching history shows and shows like Antiques roadshow and hear the stories. No dollar store disposable throwaway goods there! and great stories!

I paint. Using oil on canvas.
Haven't done a picture in the last few weeks or so, but I've got another medically enduced vacation as a result of yet another surgery coming up, so I'll have plenty of time to have at it again.

And I play the acoustic guitar. Not very well, but I play it nonetheless.

Oddball

Vets Dottir - I was going to ask you if you'd checked the HBC Archives. My relatives arrived here after the time of the settlers. Have you looked through Manitoba Vital Statistics? I'd been able to trace my rellies once they came to Canada through Vital Stats, Attestation papers, census records and Henderson's directories at the library. Its prior to them arriving here that's my problem!

Hawk

Hi Hawk. thanks for thinking of HBC too, and the others. I did find the other places too. I guess we diggers find the same places to check in our searving :D

My ancestors, our connection point, now Manitoba, etc too, came from local Natives as mentioed of course, as well as England, France, Scotland, mostly from the Orkneys. I haven't visited the sites I used to go searching in for a long time now and forget off the top of my head what the wevsires were. So I'm sure we have bisited the same places (online)

I didn't have the funds to buy into data places that cost. I did actually connect with other trees searching a lot of the same lines as me though. in Rootsweb etc, so got lucky with a lot of info there. LDS and whatever archives and vital stats or censuses available too. Manitoba Vital stats gace me lots!

Automated Geneology is great too and I love being able to do easy name or location searches of the censuses. A whole lot quicker and easier than scrolling photocopies of census pages one by one :D Waiting for 1916 to be free thouggh (ancestry.com has it all locked up for now so gotta pay to access)

I'm not doing much with geneology these days.

I hope you can find your missing branches!!!!

I search all the free sites - not too much money in my life either! I've found a couple of British sites where the people are really helpful - B-G Forums is one, another is Family History UK Community Forums. I don't have the url's off hand. Some of the people there have access to census records, and they've been a big help. In one of them they helped me prove a second marriage I suspected but couldn't find proof. My son may be going to England next year, and I'm hoping to send him off to Kew for some research!

Well, thanks for the search leads. They sound very familiar so am sure I probably visited them and bookmarked those places. 

I wish everyone good luck at finding their own relatives :)

FYI everyone, I just noticed a number of typos in my posts. I seem to do a lot of that since my hands went south and I type with the side of my thumb on right hand and one finger on the other, and don't spot the typos sometimes. I apologise!!! Doesn't help to have a black keyboard with thin white letters that are hard to see :D sorry :(

Geocaching. Try that.

All you need is a GPS and go to www.geocaching.com Its a combination of a land nav ex and a scavenger hunt.

Oddball and everyone else, maybe those of us with cameras can start a little "Show and Tell" photos of some of the things we make or do. That would be awesome. I can't upload pics from my camera to the computer anymore though and haven't been able to figure out the problem It just stopped finding the external camera one day :( I tried all sorts of things so it may be the cord which I can't replace or find one to test out before trying to budget that cost in and springing for a new one if that ends up not being the problem.

Almost every afternoon, weekdays, at 2 pm Mountain time on KSPS? channel 48 here? they have a program where artists demonstarte and show how to paint , telling people how to as they go. Some good info and demos of how to create certain effects and use the tools. I watch it often.

It would be fun to stock up on good quality supplies and materials and just cut loose, and maybe take some workshops etc, but it all costs money I don't have :D I like acrylics because they dry fast so never got into using oils ... except as a kid and doing the old paint by numbers thing and being frustrated with long time to dry so long time to paint. I'm too impatient for oils.

@VETS DOTTIR

it sounds as youve about covered the ball field per se for non extreme hobbies. But if you are interested in what i may call westcountry activities, camping hiking quadding and snowboarding. good for all 4 seasons

AndyRad said:
@VETS DOTTIR

it sounds as youve about covered the ball field per se for non extreme hobbies. But if you are interested in what i may call westcountry activities, camping hiking quadding and snowboarding. good for all 4 seasons

:D Yeah, any extreme sports for me are getting my groceries and laundry up and down stairs but at least I'm managing without my walker these days. Don't think my extreme sports are the kinds you mean and don't interest you guys and gals :D

i am now in military  history  books mor ethen i was when I was in highschool i think i read almost every  book the highschool had on world war 2. But now for the most part I m into model trains and  photography.

Back