• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Patrol Dress

Maxman1

Reaction score
What are the specific rules for wearing patrols? I have a set (the previous owner was a Warrant who served in Korea, so I need to have the crown and ribbons removed and my hooks sewn on; I'll get to it soon, it's only been two years). The pants have two stripes for some reason but I think I can get one stripe removed.

For headdress, do I need a forage cap or is a beret fine for line infantry?

The dress regs also say in hot weather, army pers can wear the Navy white high collar tunic with midnight blue shoulder boards and the blue pants. I assume rank should be gold on white, is it worn on both sides with Canada shoulder titles or only the right with no shoulder title?

What are the specific rules for wearing patrols? I have a set (the previous owner was a Warrant who served in Korea, so I need to have the crown and ribbons removed and my hooks sewn on; I'll get to it soon, it's only been two years). The pants have two stripes for some reason but I think I can get one stripe removed.

For headdress, do I need a forage cap or is a beret fine for line infantry?

The dress regs also say in hot weather, army pers can wear the Navy white high collar tunic with midnight blue shoulder boards and the blue pants. I assume rank should be gold on white, is it worn on both sides with Canada shoulder titles or only the right with no shoulder title?
Does your unit have standing orders? Maybe check those in regards to specifications.

You'll probably want to start reading the Canadian Army Dress Instructions, published somewhat recently. Patrol Dress is also referred to as 1C (Ceremonial Patrol Dress) and 1D (Undress).

As Remius suggested, you should also look into if your unit/regiment has its own standing orders. There is quite a bit of variation between infantry regiments. Is there a specific occasion that you are looking to wear patrols, such as a wedding? (There is a table of correct orders of dress for different types of events in Chapter 5).

You'll probably want to start reading the Canadian Army Dress Instructions, published somewhat recently. Patrol Dress is also referred to as 1C (Ceremonial Patrol Dress) and 1D (Undress).

As Remius suggested, you should also look into if your unit/regiment has its own standing orders. There is quite a bit of variation between infantry regiments. Is there a specific occasion that you are looking to wear patrols, such as a wedding? (There is a table of correct orders of dress for different types of events in Chapter 5).

Yes, I have already gone over the dress regs. It states for headdress, a beret or forage cap is appropriate, the universal army pattern for trousers is a 4.4 cm stripe, but infantry are to have a 0.6 cm stripe (trousers are the same for full dress, undress/patrols and mess kit). Rank insignia is in Chapter 3, and the white tunic is the same as the blue or other patrols (right side only, no Canada flash), except on a white backing.

The variation is mainly based on what type of infantry a regiment is classed as. Rifles and highlanders for example wear green coats instead of blue. My regiment uses the standard pattern jacket with blue cuffs (we're a pretty nondescript unit).

Some regiments have their own way of handling Master Corporal insignia (such as pinning a collar dog over the hooks, or having Privates wear no insignia, Corporals wear one hook, Master Corporals wear two), but mine does not. I've noticed all the officers with patrols have gold braids on the shoulder boards.

Mostly I'll wear them to dinners. Most of the sergeants/warrants and a few officers have patrols they wear to dinners or levee.

Yes, I have already gone over the dress regs. It states for headdress, a beret or forage cap is appropriate, the universal army pattern for trousers is a 4.4 cm stripe, but infantry are to have a 0.6 cm stripe (trousers are the same for full dress, undress/patrols and mess kit). Rank insignia is in Chapter 3, and the white tunic is the same as the blue or other patrols (right side only, no Canada flash), except on a white backing.

The variation is mainly based on what type of infantry a regiment is classed as. Rifles and highlanders for example wear green coats instead of blue. My regiment uses the standard pattern jacket with blue cuffs (we're a pretty nondescript unit).

Some regiments have their own way of handling Master Corporal insignia (such as pinning a collar dog over the hooks, or having Privates wear no insignia, Corporals wear one hook, Master Corporals wear two), but mine does not. I've noticed all the officers with patrols have gold braids on the shoulder boards.

Mostly I'll wear them to dinners. Most of the sergeants/warrants and a few officers have patrols they wear to dinners or levee.
Well, best course of action may be to consult with the RSM. If others in your unit already wear patrols, then there "should" be some sort of direction that has already been provided on proper wear, such as in Regimental Standing Orders.

Well, best course of action may be to consult with the RSM. If others in your unit already wear patrols, then there "should" be some sort of direction that has already been provided on proper wear, such as in Regimental Standing Orders.
Really guys, the CAF is being relegagated to a boy scout troop and you are worried about a uniform that should have died years ago. Most RSMS joined just befor lunch yesterday.

Really guys, the CAF is being relegagated to a boy scout troop and you are worried about a uniform that should have died years ago. Most RSMS joined just befor lunch yesterday.

Seeing as he came here looking for information on Patrol Dress, I imagine it is of importance to him and his unit to seek and obtain clarification.

That isn't going to impede or enhance our Strategic capacity anymore than the Recruiting thread does.

Really guys, the CAF is being relegagated to a boy scout troop and you are worried about a uniform that should have died years ago.
Given units are still maintaining patrols, that suggests at least some fondness for the things, which flags ancient high-collared wool kit as a morale/retention item. Removing an item that at least some personnel are attached to (and which doesn't seem to be the subject of complaints), and which costs the Crown either little or nothing, is a bit of an own goal.

Given units are still maintaining patrols, that suggests at least some fondness for the things, which flags ancient high-collared wool kit as a morale/retention item. Removing an item that at least some personnel are attached to (and which doesn't seem to be the subject of complaints), and which costs the Crown either little or nothing, is a bit of an own goal.
I agree it's an "own goal", but more that it's actually unnecessary staff work to remove it.

If no one minds it (I don't know if "fondness" is what I'd say) then there's no issue keeping it on the books.

I agree it's an "own goal", but more that it's actually unnecessary staff work to remove it.

If no one minds it (I don't know if "fondness" is what I'd say) then there's no issue keeping it on the books.
That too!

There must be some attachment, somewhere, or units (even noting the role the regimental mafii have in supporting this sort of thing) would have switched to using only No. 1s ages ago.

That too!

There must be some attachment, somewhere, or units (even noting the role the regimental mafii have in supporting this sort of thing) would have switched to using only No. 1s ages ago.
Yeah, it's called "we want to look special/different". :sneaky:

Every Regiment in Canada seems to have some sort of tradition dress and do not knock historical ties.
Ask the RSM if Enlisted, he or she would guide you to the proper dress reg and unit customs.
Officer rank see the Adj.

I remember working at LFCA HQ and going back to home unit on a final parade as the Regiment was changing over to Arty. The Area Sgt Major and the HQ CWO took my uniform apart and got out the rulers and changed almost everything button, collar dog, name tag, and shoulder flashes because they wanted me to go back look perfect. They were right.
I took the uniform home after wards and sewed in small Xs where each pin went thru so I would always look good on parade.

They are full of knowledge and can direct you in proper dress details

I've been tasked to drive the CO, DCO and RSM to a meeting Saturday, that might be a good opportunity to ask.

It should be noted that not every Scottish Regiment is a highland regiment, for example, I wear a blue patrol jacket with a kilt.

As far as the rank goes, I wear my correct rank because I had to buy the jacket and rank badge myself, I'm not going to wear one rank lower just because the forces can't figure out how to standardize the ranks on ceremonial dress and every RSM has their own idea about what it is. I've ssen everything from the normal standard, to Ptes wear nothing, Cpl and MCpls both wear two and Sgts three, to Everyone MCpl and below wears one rank lower.

It should be noted that not every Scottish Regiment is a highland regiment, for example, I wear a blue patrol jacket with a kilt.

As far as the rank goes, I wear my correct rank because I had to buy the jacket and rank badge myself, I'm not going to wear one rank lower just because the forces can't figure out how to standardize the ranks on ceremonial dress and every RSM has their own idea about what it is. I've ssen everything from the normal standard, to Ptes wear nothing, Cpl and MCpls both wear two and Sgts three, to Everyone MCpl and below wears one rank lower.
Not Army so maybe I’m missing context:

Why would people wear one rank lower?

Not Army so maybe I’m missing context:

Why would people wear one rank lower?
For some reason, they don't like to put Maple Leafs on ceremonials, so they needed to figure out a way to distinguish MCpl from Cpl. They have tried to justify by saying that a MCpl now does the job that a Cpl and a Cpl does the job that a LCpl used to, which isn't actually the case. If they were going to do that it should be MCpl wear one, Sgt wear two, WO wear three, CQ's wear three with the Crown, MWO's wear just the crown, RQMS wears the crown with wreath, and RSM is unchanged, although they should probably be wearing the British version of the Royal Arms if we are going down this road.

Back