• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay FY 07/08

Here you go:

CANFORGEN 175/07 CDS 041/07 281405Z NOV 07
CF PAY, PLD AND DND HOUSING SHELTER CHARGES
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CBI 205.45 (POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL)
B. CBI 205.452 (TRANSITIONAL POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL)
C. DAOD 5024-0 DND LIVING ACCOMMODATION INSTRUCTIONS

AS YOUR CHIEF OF THE DEFENCE STAFF, I AM COMMITTED TO MAINTAINING YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE THROUGHOUT THE COURSE OF YOUR CAREER, AND THROUGH THE VARIOUS CF LOCATIONS WHERE YOU MAY BE ASKED TO SERVE. AS YOUR COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS ARE IMPORTANT ELEMENTS OF YOUR QUALITY OF LIFE, I AM PLEASED TO INFORM YOU OF ANNUAL ADJUSTMENTS TO YOUR PAY TOGETHER WITH CHANGES AFFECTING POST LIVING DIFFERENTIAL (PLD). OF NOTE, ADJUSTMENTS TO MONTHLY SHELTER CHARGES ARE DEFERRED UNTIL 1 APRIL 2008

CF PAY: THERE WILL BE A 2.0 PERCENT PAY INCREASE FOR ALL GENERAL SERVICE OFFICERS (GSO) AND ALL NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS (NCM). THE SAME INCREASE APPLIES TO PILOTS (LCOL AND BELOW), AND MEDICAL AND DENTAL OFFICERS (LT AND 2LT). THIS ECONOMIC INCREASE IS EFFECTIVE 1 APRIL 2007 AND IS ANTICIPATED TO BE DELIVERED IN YOUR END-MARCH 2008 PAY. REMEMBER THAT PAY ADJUSTMENTS LIKE THESE REMAIN AN IMPORTANT FACTOR IN THE LONG-TERM CALCULATION OF YOUR PENSION AND BENEFITS. THE SAME PERCENTAGE INCREASE APPLIES TO ENVIRONMENTAL ALLOWANCES AND TO THE CFS ALERT ALLOWANCE

PLD: THE CALCULATION OF PLD HAS BEEN IMPROVED TO MAKE THE MODEL MORE RESPONSIVE TO ECONOMIC CHANGES AFFECTING CF LOCATIONS THROUGHOUT CANADA

PLD WILL REMAIN AN IMPORTANT TOOL TO STABILIZE COST-OF-LIVING STANDARDS FOR CF PERSONNEL WHEREVER THEY MAY SERVE IN CANADA. RETROACTIVE TO 1 JULY 2007, PLD WILL BE BENCHMARKED TO THE NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION (NCR) AND ADJUSTED ANNUALLY. IF IT COSTS MORE TO LIVE IN A GIVEN AREA THAN IT DOES IN THE NCR, THE GIVEN LOCATION WILL RECEIVE PLD. IF IT COSTS THE SAME OR LESS TO LIVE IN THE GIVEN AREA THAN IT DOES IN THE NCR, CF PERSONNEL IN THAT LOCATION WILL NOT RECEIVE PLD. I AM CONFIDENT THAT THIS IS EQUITABLE AND WELL MEETS THE NEEDS OF CF PERS SERVING ACROSS CANADA

IN CERTAIN AREAS, IN PARTICULAR EDMONTON, COLD LAKE AND CALGARY, PLD RATES WILL INCREASE RETROACTIVE TO 1 JULY 2007. IN THOSE LOCATIONS WHERE PLD WILL BE REDUCED, THE REDUCTIONS WILL BE IMPLEMENTED BY RANK AT THE RATE OF ONE THIRD EACH YEAR COMMENCING 1 APR 2008 FOR NCM IN THE RANK OF WO AND ABOVE AS WELL AS FOR OFFICERS IN THE RANK OF LT(N)/CAPT AND ABOVE. EFFECTIVE 1 APR 2009, THIS PHASED PLD REDUCTION WILL ALSO BE IMPLEMENTED FOR SERGEANTS AND BELOW AS WELL AS FOR OFFICERS IN THE RANK OF SLT/LT AND BELOW. FOR CAPT(N)/COL AND ABOVE LIVING IN THE NCR, THE NEW PLD RATE FOR THAT LOCATION WILL BE IMPLEMENTED IN FULL AS OF 1 APR 2008. THE NEW PLD RATES WILL BE PROMULGATED IN A SEPARATE CANFORGEN AND WILL BE AVAILABLE AT WWW.FORCES.GC.CA/DGCB/ ONCE RATES FOR ALL AREAS HAVE BEEN CALCULATED

ADJUSTMENTS TO DND HOUSING MONTHLY SHELTER CHARGES WILL BE DEFERRED UNTIL 1 APRIL 08. AS YOU KNOW, TREASURY BOARD POLICY AND QUEEN S REGULATIONS AND ORDERS DICTATE THAT CHARGES FOR CROWN OWNED HOUSING MUST REFLECT LOCAL MARKET VALUES. THIS MEANS THAT YOU CAN EXPECT CHARGES TO INCREASE IN SOME AREAS, DECREASE IN OTHERS OR REMAIN UNCHANGED

IN SOME AREAS, CF PERS LIVING IN DND HOUSING WILL FACE A SITUATION WHERE THEIR MONTHLY DND HOUSING SHELTER CHARGE WILL INCREASE, ON 1 APRIL 2008, WHILE THEIR PLD WILL DECREASE. THIS WILL OCCUR BECAUSE THE GENERAL RELATIVE SPENDING POWER IN THEIR AREA HAS INCREASED, BUT THE MONTHLY SHELTER CHARGE HAS NOT YET BEEN ADJUSTED TO THE LOCAL MARKET RATE AS REQUIRED BY TREASURY BOARD POLICY

I KNOW THAT WHILE MOST OF YOU WILL BE PLEASED WITH THIS ROUND OF ADJUSTMENTS, SOME OF YOU MAY FEEL THAT YOUR OVERALL SITUATION HAS NOT IMPROVED. REMEMBER TO THINK OF THESE CHANGES IN TERMS OF THEIR BENEFITS TO YOU OVER THE COURSE OF YOUR CAREER, AND THROUGH THE VARIOUS POSTINGS THAT YOU MAY EXPERIENCE. THE NECESSARY STEPS ARE BEING IMPLEMENTED TO ALIGN OUR BENEFITS WITH CANADIAN SOCIETY, WHILE ENSURING YOU ARE TREATED FAIRLY AND EQUITABLY, AND IN A WAY THAT ADDRESSES THE DEMANDS THAT MILITARY LIFE PUTS ON YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. THE LONG-TERM BENEFITS OF THESE ADJUSTMENTS ARE LASTING IMPROVEMENTS AND REPRESENT THE CHANCE FOR ALL OF US TO ENJOY A COMMON STANDARD OF LIVING, WHEREVER WE ARE CALLED TO SERVE IN OUR COUNTRY

YAY!!!

Now to see the PLD rate for Edmonton. I await with anticipation!

Essentially this amounts to a lump sum payment of a years worth of back pay... taxed accordingly.

2%?, so does this mean that new Pte's in BMQ will be now making $2533/month instead of the previous $2484? I understand the backpay is being implemented hopefully in the end-march pay, but am wondering if the increase is effective on all pay from this point on?

JBoyd said:
2%?, so does this mean that new Pte's in BMQ will be now making $2533/month instead of the previous $2484? I understand the backpay is being implemented hopefully in the end-march pay, but am wondering if the increase is effective on all pay from this point on?

Yes. The effective date is 01 April 2007. That means that all personnel (less those excluded by CANFORGEN message) are effectively now earning another 2% month. So, your pay just went up 2%.

When it does eventually show up in your bank account (end Mar estimated as per message) -- the backpay of that 2% / # months since 01 Apr 07 will be deposited and from there-on-in your 2 % pay adjustment (ie your raise) will become a normal part of your deposited monthly salary.

CDN Aviator said:
Yay ?

for 2%  ?

This "pay raise" is simply catching up to inflation.  Its hardly a "raise"

So, I take it you're giving yours back as unwanted??

Heck, I'll keep mine. They taught me in math class that 2% is 2% more than zero.  ;D

ArmyVern said:
So, I take it you're giving yours back as unwanted??

Heck, I'll keep mine. They taught me in math class that 2% is 2% more than zero.  ;D

See, edumakashun at Oromoscow High is good for sumtin. It made us smrt!  ;D

CDN Aviator said:
This "pay raise" is simply catching up to inflation.  Its hardly a "raise"

Had it been announced and implemented on 01 Apr 07, it would've been a "raise" based on the rate of inflation at that point.  However, implementing it a year in arrears has ensured this "raise" was overtaken by inflation.  This has become a "cost of living increase".

Nonetheless, I agree with Vern.  2% is 2% more than I earned this time last year.

Since this raise is a year late, what do you think the chances are that another adjustment will happen in Apr 08?

211RadOp said:
See, edumakashun at Oromoscow High is good for sumtin. It made us smrt!   ;D

Yup. Also taught me to be happy with whatever I can get.

CDN Aviator, if you don't want yours, feel free to dump it into my account.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Since this raise is a year late, what do you think the chances are that another adjustment will happen in Apr 08?

Good but you won't get until 31 Mar 09.

That along with the monthly FOA...and another deployment next Aug......my RV is paid for  wooohooo!

Haggis said:
Had it been announced and implemented on 01 Apr 07, it would've been a "raise" based on the rate of inflation at that point.  However, implementing it a year in arrears has ensured this "raise" was overtaken by inflation.  This has become a "cost of living increase".

Its not that i disagree with Vern. 2% is more money indeed.  My problem with it is exactly what you describe above.

Jammer said:
That along with the monthly FOA...and another deployment next Aug......my RV is paid for  wooohooo!

Did that monthly FOA thing ever get confirmed?

2%!
I'm not going to complain about the raise, but the national average raise for all jobs this year was about 3-5%.
The inflation rate alone was almost 3%.

The new PLD is good for someone who lives in Alberta (who will now get a significantly higher PLD) but what about someone who's posted to Victoria or Halifax for example.  I assume the PLD at those places will be dropping by about 200$ a month, seeing how Ottawa's PLD is about 200$.

So, taking the inflation rate into consideration and the new PLD, I just received a pay decrease today.

I'm happy with the money I make, don't get me wrong.  I'm just pointing out some details.

Infantry said:
2%!
I'm not going to complain about the raise, but the national average raise for all jobs this year was about 3-5%.
The inflation rate alone was almost 3%.

The new PLD is good for someone who lives in Alberta (who will now get a significantly higher PLD) but what about someone who's posted to Victoria or Halifax for example.  I assume the PLD at those places will be dropping by about 200$ a month, seeing how Ottawa's PLD is about 200$.

So, taking the inflation rate into consideration and the new PLD, I just received a pay decrease today.

I'm happy with the money I make, don't get me wrong.  I'm just pointing out some details.

No your pay went up 2% today.

Halifax ... I dunno -- I don't see much difference in prices for homes, good or services between my current location and there -- yet we receive no PLD here.

PLD is NOT pay. If you're losing PLD due to the new way of business, that's still not a paycut. After all ... you were lucky to be getting it in the first place ... your "average Canadian" who is required to move to Alberta due to their employment surely isn't receiving that benefit. And sorry, but the cost of living in Halifax doesn't compare with that in the NCR -- so if they're zero ... so should you be.

Perhaps you are considering it a pay cut because you have just become used to receiving it as an over-and-above-entitlement benefit??

Kind of like arguing that troops should receive foreign duty allowances indefinitely -- just because they have become used to receiving them (and spending them!!) and consider it part of their "pay." Well, it's only part of your "pay" while the need (thus entitlement) exists.

Using the latest inflation rate of 2.4% from Statistics Canada (http://www.statcan.ca/english/Subjects/Cpi/cpi-en.htm), a 2% cost of living adjustment actually results in a 0.39% pay decrease in real terms, plus foregone interest on the money that has been withheld.

That's life though. Some times you get a big payday (like that raise 2 years ago) and sometimes it's not so great. I think the staggered withdrawal of PLD in some locations is a good way to approach the reduction of PLD for some bases, so I'm glad they took that approach.

ArmyVern said:
No your pay went up 2% today.

Halifax ... I dunno -- I don't see much difference in prices for homes, good or services between my current location and there -- yet we receive no PLD here.

PLD is NOT pay. If you're losing PLD due to the new way of business, that's still not a paycut. After all ... you were lucky to be getting it in the first place ... your "average Canadian" who is required to move to Alberta due to their employment surely isn't receiving that benefit. And sorry, but the cost of living in Halifax doesn't compare with that in the NCR -- so if they're zero ... so should you be.

Perhaps you are considering it a pay cut because you have just become used to receiving it as an over-and-above-entitlement benefit??

Kind of like arguing that troops should receive foreign duty allowances indefinitely -- just because they have become used to receiving them (and spending them!!) and consider it part of their "pay." Well, it's only part of your "pay" while the need (thus entitlement) exists.

I know PLD is not pay.

Where are you posted?  Just wondering why we would be getting 374$ a month PLD and your location isn't.  There must be a reason. 

Housing is about the same here as it is in Ottawa, but the tax rate here is alot higher (3rd highest in Canada, Ontario is one of the lowest) and the price of everything from groceries, property tax, and fuel is significantly higher.

If an average canadian was required to move to Alberta, from let's say, the maritimes, the rate of pay in Alberta is significantly higher than it would be in other provinces. i.e. an electrician in Halifax making 18$ an hour and he would get 30-40$ an hour in Alberta (just for an example).

By pay decrease, I didn't mean a pay cut, I meant receiving less money.

Later

Back