• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay - Reserve BMQ

alexvjc

Inactive
Reaction score
Forgive me if it has been answered before though I couldn't find any info on my particular situation. I was offered a position at my local reserve regiment and I'm expecting to begin the weekend BMQ course this fall. Do you get paid hourly during BMQ like you would on a parade night? Are there any expenses like in reg force BMQ?

To be clear my reason for joining is in no way financial but I would find this information valuable.

Thanks all.

You do not get paid hourly in the Reserves.  While on Class A you sign a pay sheet, either for a half day(parade night) or a full day (BMQ weekend training day).

The only expenses you may have would be for items like shoe polish, gas(if you are driving to/from), etc.  When you go on course in the Reserves, you will have your Rations&Quarters provided at no cost to yourself.

To add you will also be given TD (Temporary duty) this is an allowance given for each day your on course or tasking. It's about $17.30 per day. TD and any travel expenses that you are authorized for will go on a claim that your unit will do up. The claim amount is separate from your pay.

That's excellent, more than I expected. The CF really takes care of their people.

CdnClassic said:
The CF really takes care of their people.

The first time you have bills that you can't pay because someone didn't enter your pay in time, you won't say that.

Teager said:
To add you will also be given TD (Temporary duty) this is an allowance given for each day your on course or tasking. It's about $17.30 per day. TD and any travel expenses that you are authorized for will go on a claim that your unit will do up. The claim amount is separate from your pay.

TD is not payable for activities that occur in the local area. Like the weekend BMQ.

ModlrMike said:
TD is not payable for activities that occur in the local area. Like the weekend BMQ.

Weekend BMQ can be done outside local area. Kingston ran one that have Brockville Rifles and some others on it last year, drove them down every weekend for it.

PuckChaser said:
The first time you have bills that you can't pay because someone didn't enter your pay in time, you won't say that.

Haha I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

ModlrMike said:
TD is not payable for activities that occur in the local area.

Does anyone happen to know where the Lorne Scots Regiment (Based in Brampton, ON) sends their recruits for BMQ? I'm assuming Toronto. Would that be considered local?

CdnClassic said:
Haha I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Does anyone happen to know where the Lorne Scots Regiment (Based in Brampton, ON) sends their recruits for BMQ? I'm assuming Toronto. Would that be considered local?

Fort York Armories if i'm not wrong.

PuckChaser said:

Or when the pay clerks pay goes through but not your own  :nod:

CdnClassic said:
That's excellent, more than I expected. The CF really takes care of their people.

Until your injured. Then its a whole new ball game.

Eye In The Sky said:
That's a pretty broad and misleading post IMO.

Your entitled to your opinion. I don't want to derail the thread but I suggest doing some reading over in the VAC and other soldiers benefits board. A lot of members may not like hearing those types of posts for new recruits because it may scare them off. Getting injured is very real in the CAF and knowing what your entitled to and the benefits is important. It is also important for them to know the long drawn out process and the fight it takes to get those benefits.

When I joined I never even looked at benefits or at VAC. So with posts like that I hope the new recruits do a little research into it so they are fully aware of what they are entitled to and the process.

That post was also my opinion but one that comes with years of experience. I know I'm not the only one with that opinion either.

I've got almost 2 and a half decades in the CF.  I have been injured during that time and also am a VAC 'customer'. 

I think it is important to keep separate the treatment you get from the CF if you're injured and how VAC handles their cases; is that a fair statement then?

No, its not fair. Although the CF has come a long way it is still a work in progress and one that seems to constantly needs to be in check. There are many issues still happening. Look at the current JPSU issue. Yes, the staff are hard workers but are overworked and short staffed and help is not getting to a lot of soldiers that need it.

There is also a large difference between being injured and continuing to serve and being injured and given a medical release.

Fair enough.  I'll end my comments with this; it is not the case for everyone who is injured while serving. 

Hey, I'm registered for BMQ during the fall for my unit in Lethbridge. I was wondering about the pay, like how much per week, and when you get paid.

Ruffles250 said:
I was wondering about the pay, like how much per week, and when you get paid.

For reference, perhaps,

Pay during Fall BMQ(Reserves)

will be merged with,

Canadian Forces Pay Scales/Rates (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/882.0
14 pages.

See also,

Pay Scales for Primary RESERVE
http://army.ca/forums/threads/123857.0

Reserve pay dates
https://army.ca/forums/threads/121129.0

NCM Class A and B Service Rates
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/ncm-class-a-b-service-rates.page

Total amount that Reservists make in a year 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/117121.0

Pay BMQ weekend
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+pay&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=3Ka7V8msEMeC8Qf4rrHoDg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+pay+weekend

etc...

It's what 11 weekends?

So 11*2 full days plus 11 half says for a total of 22 + 5.5 = 27.5 days.

I'd wager you'll work two weekends a month, on average one should fall on each pay period. But pay can be delayed for a variety of reasons so I wouldn't count on the money always coming in when it is supposed to. You should also get some t.d which will add extra income, but I forget the rate.

You may get the opportunity for supplementary training with your home unit, which will provide additional income. Your mileage may vary.

Back