• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay screw up

PteAJL

Inactive
Reaction score
So the 15 was pay day... I didnt get paid.

I talked to my course staff, apparently my route letter for the course didn't go through properly or some administrative screw up like that.
My course staff said that I would get a contingency payment next week.
Not too sure what that is, would anyone mind telling me?

Contingency payment just pays you the money early (for the days you worked since the course started), since normally you'd have to wait until the end of the month to get paid for that whole month if the clerks missed getting the route letter into the system in time.

PteAJL said:
So the 15 was pay day... I didnt get paid.

I talked to my course staff, apparently my route letter for the course didn't go through properly or some administrative screw up like that.
My course staff said that I would get a contingency payment next week.
Not too sure what that is, would anyone mind telling me?

Welcome to life in the Reserve. 

Bad News:  They can't fix BS like this that's been going on for years. 

Good News:  We're getting pips & crowns.

New pay system is due to be in place for 2017 - a single pay system for both Reg and Res.

dapaterson said:
New pay system is due to be in place for 2017 - a single pay system for both Reg and Res.

CCPS Mk XXVII?

ArmyVern said:
Bad News:  They can't fix BS like this that's been going on for years. 

Good News:  We're getting pips & crowns.

I read something (before I got out), that the powers that be were looking at updating the pay system (ie integrating RPSR/CCPS and modernizing it to say Window XP from it's current DOS base), sometime around 2015.

Hatchet Man said:
I read something (before I got out), that the powers that be were looking at updating the pay system (ie integrating RPSR/CCPS and modernizing it to say Window XP from it's current DOS base), sometime around 2015.

Just in time for the rollout of Windows 7 across the DWAN!

Found out on the 15th that I am not even in the pay system yet, not really surprising, told it "should" be fixed within another 15 to 45 days, till then manual pay each pay day at 3 pay incentives below my present level and base not spec 1 so they do not miscalculate and  over pay me. oh well

dapaterson said:
MPMCT is going to deliver a COTS payroll system.

We have needed a new pay system since the SCONDVA report(s) in the 90's identified that we all wanted to get paid every two weeks, not twice a month, like everyone else.  But that this required new pay software.  So it's only been over 15 years and we are finally modernizing our pay system ....

Jon

Gizmo 421 said:
Found out on the 15th that I am not even in the pay system yet, not really surprising, told it "should" be fixed within another 15 to 45 days, till then manual pay each pay day at 3 pay incentives below my present level and base not spec 1 so they do not miscalculate and  over pay me. oh well

I spent 3 months getting cheques waiting for my Reg F pay account to be turned on... the ROR could even look me up in the system as I had an account for my Cl C deployment pay. Ottawa subsequently deleted the account, and started it again for next to no reason. I was told I was lucky it was only 3 months.  :facepalm:

Old EO Tech said:
We have needed a new pay system since the SCONDVA report(s) in the 90's identified that we all wanted to get paid every two weeks, not twice a month, like everyone else.  But that this required new pay software.  So it's only been over 15 years and we are finally modernizing our pay system ....

Jon

However, moving to every 2 weeks instead of twice a month means each pay will be reduced - 26 payruns a year instead of 24, so about 5% less each pay.  And the moment that happens, the caterwauling will start immediately.

In the current system there are simply too many reasons why a reserve member on class B service doesn't get paid on time;

1. Class B contract not entered into the system.
2. Contract entered, but not certified (possibly awaiting confirmation of arrival).
3. Certified, but not activated.
4. Certified and activated, but not in time for the next pay period.

The majority of these issues can be resolved simply with a well-organized finance section and orderly room and good communication, but too often it seems the system works against the member.

Stop payments, emergency and contingency payments can also create headaches of their own.   

A contingency payment is an e-mail request put through Ottawa Mil Pay Helpdesk essentially asking for a fixed calculated dollar amount to be deposited into a members account. It usually reflects on the next pay period.  It is also subject to a deadline usually before the deposit day, so by the time the member sees that the pay didn't come in, its already too late. 

Under the new system, the intent is that entering and approving the period of service in the new HRMS will trigger the pay entitlement - that is, a single record entry instead of two.  Multiply that time savings by the number of periods of class B service in the CF every year and it will provide some relief to ORs.

dapaterson said:
However, moving to every 2 weeks instead of twice a month means each pay will be reduced - 26 payruns a year instead of 24, so about 5% less each pay.  And the moment that happens, the caterwauling will start immediately.

I'm sure we can communicate that effectively, and any reasonable CF member would gladly give up 5% a pay to get rid of the long paydays 4-5 times a year....I certainly would.

Jon

dapaterson said:

So those that can't manage their monies now will now have to manage on less. 

Then of course there is the bundling of December pays, over the Christmas/New Years period, that would reduce those pays back to 25 or 24 anyway, adding to the continuing problem of people still not knowing how to manage their finances.

George Wallace said:
So those that can't manage their monies now will now have to manage on less. 

I disagree,...they will be paid more often so less time in between to blow the wad.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I disagree,...they will be paid more often so less time in between to blow the wad.

I disagree for the following reasons:

1.  If they can't manage their money now, how can less time (bi-weekly) and less money make up for that?

2.  They will still likely face the same Christmas/New Years pay situation where all their Dec and part of Jan pay goes into the bank.  This will now cover three to four pay periods as opposed to two.  Again, if they could not manage their money before, how will they manage with the three pay period break?

It all boils down to personal financial management.  If a member can control their spending and make deposits into their savings for those little emergencies in life, then there is no problem with the current system.  Changing the system, to bi-weekly with less pay, will not solve the personal financial problems faced by those who can not learn to budget their earnings. 

George Wallace said:
1.  If they can't manage their money now, how can less time (bi-weekly) and less money make up for that?

By the same reasoning that if your dog eats everything you put in his/her bowl at one time then you spread out the feedings throughout the day, less food more often.

George Wallace said:
2.  They will still likely face the same Christmas/New Years pay situation where all their Dec and part of Jan pay goes into the bank.  This will now cover three to four pay periods as opposed to two.  Again, if they could not manage their money before, how will they manage with the three pay period break?

So why do this??.......I just had 5 weeks off and I didn't get paid in advance.  Pays should be pays............things were different when you almost had to go to YOUR bank and YOUR branch to get money but those days are long gone.

Back