• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PEI Provincial Election '23

Halifax Tar

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

Dennis King promises humility, kindness after winning 2nd term as P.E.I. premier​

Dennis King will return for a second term as premier of Prince Edward Island after his Progressive Conservatives won 22 seats for a commanding victory in Monday's provincial election.

The Liberals won three seats and will form the Official Opposition, while the Greens fell to third-party status with just two MLAs.

Voter turnout was a record low of 68.5 per cent of the province's roughly 109,587 registered voters, according to Elections P.E.I.

That's down from the 77.66 per cent seen in 2019, which represented the most votes ever cast in Island history at 83,185, and a sharp drop from the more than 80 per cent turnout that has historically defined Prince Edward Island as a model of political engagement among Canadian provinces.

More at link below.

Dennis King promises humility, kindness after winning 2nd term as P.E.I. premier​

Dennis King will return for a second term as premier of Prince Edward Island after his Progressive Conservatives won 22 seats for a commanding victory in Monday's provincial election.

The Liberals won three seats and will form the Official Opposition, while the Greens fell to third-party status with just two MLAs.

Voter turnout was a record low of 68.5 per cent of the province's roughly 109,587 registered voters, according to Elections P.E.I.

That's down from the 77.66 per cent seen in 2019, which represented the most votes ever cast in Island history at 83,185, and a sharp drop from the more than 80 per cent turnout that has historically defined Prince Edward Island as a model of political engagement among Canadian provinces.

More at link below.

Saw that. Looks like a convincing mandate despite the “low” turnout.

Saw that. Looks like a convincing mandate despite the “low” turnout.

Ya a ten point drop is pretty significant. I admit to not being in tune with PEI politics but it seems like they are happy with what they have, and maybe that kept people away ?

Ya a ten point drop is pretty significant. I admit to not being in tune with PEI politics but it seems like they are happy with what they have, and maybe that kept people away ?
That is my suspicion. Especially if it’s a forgone conclusion.

It was a quick election called when the government was mostly popular, and the opposition parties were unready. Like others said, Islanders for the most part were pretty happy with the government, so there wasn't much interest in the election.

It was a quick election called when the government was mostly popular, and the opposition parties were unready. Like others said, Islanders for the most part were pretty happy with the government, so there wasn't much interest in the election.
Even at 68% turn out was better than the last 10 federal elections.

Even at 68% turn out was better than the last 10 federal elections.
It's a small place, people likely know/know the family of, or have at least met their MLA. I can't really say the same for most federal ridings.

Back