• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Perception of MP’s by other Military Members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispi

Inactive
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a redundant question, but as a person currently going through the recruitment process with MP as my 1st choice, I’m curious of the perception from other Military personnel toward MP’s. 
I understand the anti-authority view some have, and I get the whole Navy vs. Army vs. AF bias, but it seems that there is a lot of resentment towards MP’s in general - Even more-so regarding the so called “working in the field” or LDA.

Throughout my recruitment process, which I admit is still in its early stages (Interview and hopefully MPAC in 2010-still to come) I’ve always thought I was applying as a member of the Canadian Forces 1st, and member of the police 2nd.  I’ve read a lot of the threads in the Recruiting, The Recruiting Process, and  Military Police Branch sections on these boards.  I’ve spoken with several persons currently in the Military and I’m starting to see a pattern of general anti-MP personalities.

While this is expected for civilians to show some resentment towards the various policing agencies in the country, I’m surprised to see so much towards the MP’s or as I was told…  “Meatheads”.
Are you all not serving your country under the same Canadian Forces Flag?

Weather I become a MP, or accepted as member of the Canadian Forces at all, I still believe that MP’s are soldiers first and foremost.  They deserve the same respect I would give anyone in a uniform…  Be I a Civilian, or member of the CF in another trade.

Who gives a crap about what other people think.  Do you want to be a MP?  Then don't worry about what other people think.  I am sure that MPs don't care if some dick head calls them meatheads as long as they obey the rules.  Stop stirring the pot and concentrate on getting through the process and doing well.  For future reference the word is whether not weather.

IMO I think MPs generally get a bad rep that is for the most part un-earned.

On operations I have seen some very useful and keen ones attached to the Infantry to take care of detainee-type issues.

In Garrison I have been in a few situations that weren't necessarily illegal but the MP could have gone either way about it, and every time the MP has given me the benefit of the doubt so I have a lot of time for them.  I'm not talking about them not doing their job or anything and looking the other way as something bad happens, but more like getting pulled over for doing a couple over and not getting a ticket.

That being said, a lot of the bad taste comes from the perception that MPs don't have much to do other than look for troops to do things that they can be caught for (partying in the shacks, speeding, etc).  While I make no attempt to speak for every soldier, the ones I have heard talk about MPs seem to feel as if MPs only exist to make their lives harder.  Perhaps they feel like they should get a free ride on base and never be punished (?)

But as I wrote, every MP I have dealt with seems to understand the difference between someone who has just had a few too many and needs to be shown the way to a bed and someone who is dangerously drunk and out to hurt someone.  And the difference between someone going a bit too fast too or from work and someone who is doing burnouts and 100 km/h wheelies on base.

One area I think the MPs deserve a lot of credit for is what they have done in Cyprus during the soldiers' decompression.  If there isn't a feeling of "same team" while in Canada, I certainly got that feeling there when the MPs went out of their way to provide top cover for the troops who went too far.

I got nothing but the utmost respect for them personally. They deal with all the problem children here on the base. Drug users, drunks and general morons. I have NEVER had a issue with a MP. I have broken the law and have gotten warnings from MP's (rolling stop) but really who's fault is that? I'm glad there there on base. Otherwise it would be like too "fast too furious" around here.

Are there idiot MP's? I'm sure there is...just like moron tank drivers and section commanders etc.

I respect them and their job, same as  I would a clerk, firefighter etc. They do a difficult job I wouldn't  want to do and keep things safe here on the homefront.

On deployment nothing but good things to say.

Nobody really likes those who enforce the rules.  Look at the stereotype of internal affairs cops on TV shows.  That said I have had numerous interactions with MPs in garrison, the field and ops, and the ones I dealt with were all professional.  Where they tend to get a bad rap from is those MPs who are overzealous and tend to make even the slightest infraction a capital case.  Most of these guys tend to be new to the trade and direct entry from civvie street without the benefit of prior service in another trade.

But really soldiers are always grousing about some other trade.  If its not the MPs as glorified mall cops, its the clerks screwing up their claims, the air force staying in hotels, etc....

I had time for them up until I got a speeding ticket for doing 39 in a 35 school zone and was used as a training aid for the ojt wanna be that was riding with him. Yes 4 km over the limit in Shilo on a Sunday (1993).  I do wish that I was a bit older and wiser as I would have dealt with it differently, but as it was only something like a 54 dollar fine I paid it.

Unknown to me, as I had just gotten back from Germany, I had only one merit point on my licence, the ticket made me loose that one point, as such my insurance went up 300 bucks for two years.  So for a long time I had no time for meatheads, however that has changed.

Northern Ranger said:
I had time for them up until I got a speeding ticket for doing 39 in a 35 school zone and was used as a training aid for the ojt wanna be that was riding with him. Yes 4 km over the limit in Shilo on a Sunday (1993).  I do wish that I was a bit older and wiser as I would have dealt with it differently, but as it was only something like a 54 dollar fine I paid it.

Unknown to me, as I had just gotten back from Germany, I had only one merit point on my licence, the ticket made me loose that one point, as such my insurance went up 300 bucks for two years.  So for a long time I had no time for meatheads, however that has changed.

No offence but u were in a school zone.  If it weren't for the school zone I would'a kept ur side as I completely agree and see the stupidity behind it.  Bad luck, foce of habit, unfortunately no break was given.  Live and learn I suppose right ?  We all make mistakes.

- T.

Fotoshark said:
No offence but u were in a school zone.  If it weren't for the school zone I would'a kept ur side as I completely agree and see the stupidity behind it.  Bad luck, foce of habit, unfortunately no break was given.  Live and learn I suppose right ?  We all make mistakes.

And a gentle reminder from your friendly Site Police that MSN speak is against Site policy - proper spelling, punctuation, capitalization, etcetera, please.

As for the original question, there is always going to be a suspicion of those in a police function regardless of the environment. Attitudes of others towards you will depend largely upon your attitudes towards them as well.

Fotoshark said:

- T.
No offense, but you were in a school zone.  If it weren't for being in the school zone I would have agreed with your side as I can see the stupidity behind the ticket.  Bad luck, force of habit, and unfortunately they didn't give you a break.  Live and learn I suppose, right?   We all make mistakes.

Yup, we do.

Now that the self-righteous literacy lesson is over, please return this thread to its original topic.

Milnet.ca Staff

My perception of MPs is that they live in underground burrows, survive exclusively on a diet  of road killed coyotes and dugout water, and mate with their cousins.

Fotoshark said:

- T.

No offence but if you need to pipe in and agree with a 4km over the limit ticket, you would probally make fine MP. ;D

Kat Stevens said:
My perception of MPs is that they live in underground burrows, survive exclusively on a diet  of road killed coyotes and dugout water, and mate with their cousins.

Huh...I did not know that MP's had underground burrows.  ;D

As an aside- When I was in the CF I had no issues with MP's. In fact one night I and some other rowdies were picked up. In the morning it was fine as it was I who was in the wrong.

They ve always been okay in my books.

Chrispi said:
I’ve always thought I was applying as a member of the Canadian Forces 1st, and member of the police 2nd.

Always remember this young lad and you'll do fine in the CF!!

Northern Ranger said:
No offence but if you need to pipe in and agree with a 4km over the limit ticket, you would probally make fine MP. ;D

Thanks, ironically applying for MP ;) lol

- T.

The biggest problem with the Military Police, with respect to their relationship with the rest of the CF, is with those that seem to think of themselves as police and not soldiers.  In fact, some leadership in the past instilled this in their psyche to the point where some of them no longer believe being a soldier was important.  This has led to some problems.  Fortunately, with the Afghanistan experience, the tactical military function of military police has come back to the fore and this seems to be changing.

Although military police work has similarities with what civilian police do, there are also some significant differences.  Be sure you understand those before you decide which route you want to go.  If all you want to do is be a cop, join the RCMP. 

Pusser said:
The biggest problem with the Military Police, with respect to their relationship with the rest of the CF, is with those that seem to think of themselves as police and not soldiers.  In fact, some leadership in the past instilled this in their psyche to the point where some of them no longer believe being a soldier was important.  This has led to some problems.  Fortunately, with the Afghanistan experience, the tactical military function of military police has come back to the fore and this seems to be changing.

Although military police work has similarities with what civilian police do, there are also some significant differences.  Be sure you understand those before you decide which route you want to go.  If all you want to do is be a cop, join the RCMP.

Very well put.  I would be under the impression that if one were to apply to be a military police officer they're still considered a soldier, if they were not they would not be in the military they'd be a regular PO or RCMP :) 
Basically the way I see it, is if you're wearin camo you're a soldier regardless of trade. :)

- T.

Fotoshark said:
if you're wearin camo you're a soldier regardless of trade. :)

Or an airman/airwoman or sometimes a sailor.

Loachman said:
Or an airman/airwoman or sometimes a sailor.

lol I just generalize and consider every aspect of the military the same (obviously with limitations as to each difference if we're goin into specifics).  Aka a military uniform implies you're serving your country in the military.  Not as a city/provincial police officer.  :)  :salute:

Oh Meathead ,oh Meathead  if you were a man

you would take down your armband and go to Pusan

where the whizbangs are flying and comfort are few

and good men are dying for bast§%ds like you.

I think that this anti MP thing is traditional and is part of the frontline pigs view of all REMF,s and is

rooted in the WW2, Korean war attitudes ,where front  soldiers felt they were being preyed upon

by the MPs when in the rear.

My generation,the "Staving off the Commie hordes in the foreign lands" gang, had a lot of respect

for our Meatheads,after all they were all 6 foot tall and carried no guns or clubs, they were free with

their fists but also always gave you a break if you showed even the slightest desire to cooperate.

The destruction of the C Pro C and formation of the MP Branch  seemed to me to change them

completely, they reminded me of a shorter version of the US Army MPs and the limited  experience

I had with them impressed me not at all. Another thing that I noticed was a change of attitude,

the whole world consisted of MPs and potential perps,the attitude one finds in big city police forces.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back