• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Permeable Pavement - any experience?

dapaterson

Army.ca Dinosaur
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I'm looking at re-doing the driveway this summer or next, and am examining options.  I've done some reading on permeable pavement options, but am wondering about anyone's real-life experiences.  As it's in an urban, developed area I wouldn't go with aggregate, but there are permeable concretes, pavers and other options that reduce run-off.  Anyone have good news/ bad news?  Tricks of the trade to be aware of?  "I wish I had known"s?

Thanks.

I'd be very concerned about water freezing within the pores or in a layer under the pavement. I could see that damaging the pavement quicker than normal non-porous surfaces.

Also, I'd be worried about the pores being blocked up but dirt, traction sand, etc.

Sounds great in summer, but I'm not sure how 'it's Canada and the winter can suck'-proof it is.

This may be off topic if you are only considering permeable items.

I'm not sure whether you consider interlocking brick the same as pavers, but I can give a couple of the down side with using them. You really have to stay on top of the weeds and grass that will eventually grow in between the bricks in the summer. If you live in an area with lots of ants, expect to see lots of little sand hills. Clearing the snow off in the winter shouldn't be done with a truck with a blade, as they can inadvertently pull up the stones if they have heaved at all due to frost.

But, on the up side, repairs (heaving, cracked bricks, etc.) are fairly simple if you keep up the maintenance.

captloadie said:
You really have to stay on top of the weeds and grass that will eventually grow in between the bricks in the summer.

And if you live in Ottawa, as I suspect dapaterson does, don't be expecting to use RoundUp on those weeds and grass.  RoundUp is now on the list of banned herbicides.  Damn treehuggers are taking away all my chemical warfare agents!  >:D

Thanks for the input.  I'm hoping to avoid interlock because of weeds and ants - already have some, and would prefer not to expand.  And at this point we're merely mulling options, and loking for experiences (god or bad) and ideas.

Occam said:
And if you live in Ottawa, as I suspect dapaterson does, don't be expecting to use RoundUp on those weeds and grass.  RoundUp is now on the list of banned herbicides.  Damn treehuggers are taking away all my chemical warfare agents!  >:D

My neighbor uses a blow torch on his bricked driveway now.  >:D

Screw blow torch.  Flamethrower.

I guess I know what you'd do for gophers.

Bill_Murray_Caddyshack.jpg

HavokFour said:
My neighbor uses a blow torch on his bricked driveway now.  >:D
Near-to-boiling water will also do the trick for weeds & ants.

Back