• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long does it take for a private to get the first hook?  I've heard 1 1/2 years and 2 years...

I have taken my BMQ, SQ , DP1 and was on my DP2 until last week when I shattered my hand. I would have had my hook this spring, other Regiments had theirs on my DP1 grad. I've been in for a year

you should be close then... Greywolf... it takes about 2 years (im not in the regs.. so dont quote me.. but thats the information ive gathered)

What PPCLI MCpl said is the CF reg-force standard.

Acorn

In the reserve(atleast in my unit an most others in 39CBG) to be a hooked Pte, you only need BMQ, SQ and QL3.

36 months to get the first hook?  But it only takes four years to get your corporal rank?

Four years is the norm for Cpl.  It doesn't mean that it won't take longer.  Remember, you have to achieve the qualifications required for promotion; if you don't, then you are not promoted.

Actually, the standard in the Reg Force for your first hook is 30 months (2.5 years) IAW CFAO 49-4 Annex A, Index 1

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/049-04_e.asp

Ryan

Baloo said:
Were there bags? Yes, and there always will be. But I found that, especially on the field ex's, and those with the unit, we were driven hard, and to excel. BIQ was full of patrolling, defensive manuevers, recce, and VERY little sleep. All infantry stuff.

I know that the training you went through must have been difficult for you, and that you're justifiably proud of having succesfuly accomplished it.  However, as a member with a year in the forces and only the 3 basic courses under your belt, you really have no basis for making a comparison to the way basic training courses have been run in the past.  Just to use a few examples, staff are now not allowed to "make" soldiers do more than 25 pushups at a time, candidates must receive at least 4 hours of sleep per night, and the 13k BFT has been scrapped.  When I went through the system, we were up to 60 pushups at one point, our field ex included a 72 hour period with no sleep at all, and after our 13k BFT we went for a 7k walk to the granade range.  There's absolutely no question that standards have slipped, and anyone who's been in for more than 4 or 5 years is well aware of it.  The only question is how this has affected or will affect the forces in the long run.

Now, are those rules mandatory for teaching purposes, or suggestive? They must have been the latter, for nothing I experienced would lead me to believe that there was only a certain amount of pushups one could do, or that there was a sleeping policy (at least in the field, for sure). Maybe this is because my platoon and it's instructors didn't seem to care about these rules. Our warrant came out one night, took us out onto the parade square at around 21:00 and threatened us with going for a run for conduct. Word got to the higher ups and this was dismissed. So, I can definitely see where you are coming from, the more I think about it. And yes, I recall having a conversation with a section commander regarding the 13 km march, and a lot of disappointed (I won't lie, there were a lot of happy faces too) faces when it was determined to be cancelled. In some ways I guess it has changed, in others, it hasn't. But as noted, I only have a year under my belt, so will stop making assumptions based on my platoon world.

Whoa, am I hearing this right? the 13km ruck march has been scrapped? I am still on my BMQ at Denison and no word of this has reached our ears. Frankly I would rather do it so that I can say that I did it, the time allotted for it will (knowing our luck) be used for push-ups and drill, two items I am sure everyone would prefer to change.

Baloo, they ARE rules, however depending on your staff they may be looked at more as "guidelines".  Unfortiunately, doing that leaves the staff open to disciplinary action if one of the recruits decides to complain.  While I may be willing to stick my neck on the line to ensure that candidates are trained to a high standard, I shouldn't have to do it.  The training should be made rigorous enough that there's no temptation for staff to bend the rules.

QORvanweert, you may end up doing the 13k if your staff are keen on doing it and if they manage to find enoough extra time in the course schedule.  It is not however part of the courses, and even when it's done it can't be used as a test.

Not to bring this too far off topic (I too am looking forward to response to pbi's question from a Reg), but ...what is the standard for the ruckmarch now?

Caesar said:
Not to bring this too far off topic (I too am looking forward to response to pbi's question from a Reg), but ...what is the standard for the ruckmarch now?

I believe it's still 13 km in 2 hrs 26 minutes, or at least that's what it was on my basic in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back