• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pet Peeves

Miss Jacqueline said:
& coxcombs :p

which one?

Etymology: Middle English cokkes comb, literally, cock's comb
1 a : a jester's cap adorned with a strip of red b archaic : PATE, HEAD
2 a obsolete : FOOL b : a conceited foolish person : FOP

Really? I was with you there - - I HATE those jester's caps. But you meant the other definition    ;D

Miss Jacqueline said:
What's a jester's cap?

GAP said:
which one?
Coxcomb
Etymology: Middle English cokkes comb, literally, cock's comb
1 a : a jester's cap adorned with a strip of red b archaic : PATE, HEAD
2 a obsolete : FOOL b : a conceited foolish person : FOP

Man, I hate coxcombs so much. And onions.
41_29%20Fleece%20Jester%20Hat.jpg

BYT Driver said:
I do believe that the only people who do not sing "God Save the Queen", are the Queen and the GG.  The GG is the Queen's representative.
Chop me up if I'm wrong.
BYT Dvr
I've heard this elsewhere as well! 

You could be on to something!

Hmmm, well the thing is; why would the Queen sing to herself about herself??????

"Oh, I love me, yes I do
I'm the person that you knew
As Princess Liz so long ago
Now I'm sovereign, don't you know"

THAT is what the Queen could sing about herself.  I mean, rappers sing about themselves all the time, why not Her Majesty? ;)

Miss Jacqueline said:
What's a jester's cap?

an Air Force wedge.  :)

On Saturday I discovered I have a new #1 uniform pet peeve.  It's troops in uniform who aren't wearing gloves so they pull their hands up inside the sleeves of their coat to keep them warm.  To me troops who do this look like a bunch of pansies.
::)

I got a new pet peeve, (after a Sunday march)

Marching next to someone who keeps getting closer and closer - to the point where they are in between the two lines.  Really,  how hard is it to look in front of yourself and see "Oh I can look all the way down the line in the middle" and "oh I'm almost bumping into the guy next to me maybe I should wake up". 

von Garvin said:
Maybe that Dutch fellow belonged to a family that was rather supportive of the Germans?  You know, the ones who joined  34.SS-Freiwilligen-Grenadier-Division Landstorm Nederland and the like.  I don't know.  I'm just saying is all...
Hmmm...you never know.  If he EVER bashes the military or veterans again, I will be sure to rub this idea in his face  ;D  Thank-you!  :cdn:

Here's a Pet Peeve from years ago that still fries my goatcheese: getting the name of your regiment wrong.
It was 1989, I was a Sergeant in The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment reporting into the OR at Blackdown Park.  I went up to the clerk, and she asked a variety of questions.  Name, SIN, etc.  When she asked me my unit, I replied "The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment."  I saw what she wrote, and I said "You got the name of my unit wrong."
She looked down and said "You said Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, right?"
"Yes," I said, "but you wrote it down wrong."
She said nothing, looking at what she wrote.  Silence.  Prolonged silence.  So, I pointed out her error.
"You wrote 'the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment of Canada."
"Yeah?"
"Well, that's not the name of my regiment.  There is no 'of Canada' in its name."
"Whatever" she replied.
"That's 'whatever, sergeant," I replied.  "And the word 'the' is capitalised.  'THE Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment.'  Now fix it please, corporal," I said.  She did.
It may not be a good thing to tick off a clerk, but it's also not a good thing to tick off a sergeant.  I still live by that, even though I'm commissioned :D

People who dirty up or don't flush public toilets.
People who ask me, while in uniform, "Are you in the army?"
The Golden Girls
The new Macintosh computer ads
In fact, anything that is made by Macintosh pisses me off
Kids younger than 13 who have cell phones
People who don't clean up after their dogs after that take a dump on my lawn
Stepping in said dump because it's right in front of my back gate
Telemarketers, even more when they don't speak good English
People who talk to themselves
People who have bad personal hygene
People who think the world owes them something
People who are always happy
The Welsh, especially the Welsh...  :p

People who don't clean up after their dogs after that take a dump on my lawn
Stepping in said dump because it's right in front of my back gate

That reminds me of a movie 'The 'burbs' with Tom Hanks.

Back