• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

Not a pet owner myself, but I live in the northside Apts.  I see dogs running around here all the time, so I assume they are allowed. Check into getting an apt if that interests you. They come in 1,2 and 3 bedrooms. Rent is a good price, and everything else is incl. I prefer the northside of base so you don't have to deal with the traffic going on and off base.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

Its looking like I may be spending the entire summer there now, and doing my next course in the fall, so I'm happy to hear there is places to walk my pup and love the fact that there is a river.

I'm from the Annapolis Valley, so I'm pretty use to small towns with not much around.  I like it that way.

I don't know if anyone knows the answer, but what is the horse scene like around there?  I don't know how long I can go without it. 

If you haven't already go here for some info,
                http://www.petawawa.ca/

Andrea
You are in luck, my daughter took horseback riding lessons at Spruce Ridge, just on the other side of Pembroke(Ottawa side).  I found it to be very reasonably priced, the instructor was very good and the horses and barn well looked after.  I think I paid about $90 a month for 1 1hr lesson once a week.  Don't know the ph# but it must be in the phone book.  And there are other barns around too.

I have been posted to Cornwallis NS (14 mos), Gagetown NB (4.5 years), Petawawa ON (5 yrs and counting) and Shilo MB (4 years) - they all have similarities and a few differences. The people are all welcoming and helpful and you can make the best of every posting if you keep the right attitude.  Petawawa and Area is evolving with the addition of Walmart, Home Depot, Kelsey's, Boston Pizza etc.  It is about 1.5 hrs to downtown Ottawa and 1.25 hrs to Kanata Town Centre and Scotiabank Place.  There are no bad places to be posted, there are only self-induced bad attitudes.  I think you will find lots of reasons to enjoy the Upper Ottawa Valley in the same manner as the Annapolis Valley.  Be prepared for pot holes galore.

This is a good directory for horse riders http://www.theottawavalley.com/dir-horseback.htm 

Life at 2 Fd Amb is going to be like no other!! be ready for a lot of work.. We are at a very high Op tempo pushing one Roto out the door, and getting rdy for others.. As a medic, you will more than likely not staying here long and seeing a tour in the sand box soon.  Yes, there is going to be a lot of driver maint, and other weekly things, as it is part of the army... keep an up beat attitude!!  When you get here, you will start learning what it is to become a "Combat Medic" and TCCC, Combat related medicine.  This is the focus of the mission.  Maybe you will be here in time for Ex Striking Serpent II, an outstanding Ex where we teach you advance airways, and other advance things.. for combat.  Keep your head in the books... Your learning has now only started!!

As for a single room... don't hold your breath (Sorry to tell you), though you could luck out.  There are plenty of trails, hunting, fishing then you will know what to do with here.

Good luck.. Welcome to Pet...    >:D

Thanks! it sounds great!
Some friends of mine were actors for Striking Serpent last year and it looks like an absolute blast, thats the stuff I want to learn and why I joined. However, I think I will miss it since I won't be there untill late June, early July.
Look forward to start actually working for once!

lol, careful what you wish for... remember... with good times, there come hard times.. See you when you get here..

Another question...

I was checking out the real estate prices in L'Isle-aux-Allumettes which is 15-20 minutes outside of Pembroke.  Is this one of the places that is included in the area you are able to live in?  Or since its in Quebec, does that make a difference?

I saw reference in materials and posts referring to areas outside of limits CF members are allowed to live.  Is there somewhere I can find this? 

Thanks

If you live in Quebec, you would have Quebec income tax deductions....  Umm - though I mylsef live in Quebec... you might not want to pay the additional taxes

(PS - I have not compared income taxes over the last 5 years BUT, they were higher in Quebec back then)

IAW Commuting Assistance regulations this is generally a 32 Km radius from the base.

However in Pet there is guys living out towards Round Lake, in Renfrew and Eganville. 

COs can authorize beyond 32 km but commuting assistance cannot be claimed.  Generally, it is within 1 hour of workplace for recall purposes but varies by CO and unit.

Also, from looking at the PSP site for Pet, I see they have a Boxercise class, but are there any heavy bags/speed bags in the gym?

TH,

There is a whole corner of the field house with heavy bags and a few speed bags.  Boxercise is what the PSP call tae-bo, a good workout from good instructors.

For apartments try this site: http://www.places4rent.com/index/ontario_p.html

Thanks, but only posts wanting apartments were listed.  I'm slowly remembering the supply and demand lecture my economics prof gave...

Tree hugger...

There really isn't much at all.  I've been looking, but any apartments that come available, are normally snatched up within a day or two.

If you google "pembroke classifieds" or "petawawa classifieds" you'll find the Osprey media classifieds site, and there are typically some apartments in the rental section.

I've called a few apartments for my house hunting trip next week.  Everyone has said "we'll call you if its still available, it probably won't be"  There seems to be a severe shortage of apartments.

I guess that is good for me, if I do purchase an home, I'll be able to find renters for the other rooms, especially since I will allow dogs, because thats another thing I haven't been able to find.

Hey,

I'm heading up to Pet for my HHT in 2 more sleeps.  Can anyone recommend a good pub grub place in Pembroke?

-th

pretty sure the places name is JJ's. it's down on the farther side of Pembroke on the main strip.

Back