• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

Rider Pride said:
Definately just under....$269-$299 range, depending exactly where it is.

To continue on the other thought; people are not going out as far as Eganville and Cobden as much anymore, but the new trend seems to be to Chalk/Deep River, and down the small highways to areas around Rankin and Alice to get nice acreages in that area.

Agree / anything in Laurentian Valley Township, aka the void between Pet/Pembroke and the surrounding area; Round Lake Road down to Alice etc.  Westmeath and the white water area is nice / Quebec side is also an option for some.

PanaEng said:
Holly cow!
I sold my 3br, 2 bath, finished bsmt bungalow on Laurentian dr (nice big lot) in 1992 for $105k; wonder what it (or something similar) would go for now? $300k?

Not necessarily, there are brand new builds going up for about 300K with finished basements.  Some brand new homes are selling for $250 - $270 without a finished basement so I would imagine that some older homes would have to have been updated a fair bit to be able to compete.  When we did our HHT last year we found that there were a lot of older homes (built in the 70's or 80's) that were trying to cash in on the market.  They weren't renovated and there was too much work to be done to update (and IMHO weren't even worth the $240 000 asking price).  Mind you, we noticed that a lot of the older homes had HUGE lots versus new builds (i.e. Limestone Trail) that have the token postage stamp sized lot.  So, there are considerations that have to be taken into account either way.  With the new Sqn coming in and the subdivision on Doran starting I don't see the prices going down at all....

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=10209179&PidKey=-1707917832

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=9133226&PidKey=-1268448659

George Wallace said:
In 2005 I sold my three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow with carport and garage on Herman St for $134K.  Kelseys was just over my back fence, and I was within walking distance of the Beer/Liquor Store, and five minute drive (40 in Rush Hour) drive from work.  If houses are in the $400K range now then there are a lot of speculators in the area again.

George, (or anyone who knows) we're probably looking around the same area (Herman Street) as the wife doesn't drive and wants to be close to at least the library and some small stores (shoppers etc), and the kids want to walk to school.  I'm curious about your comments about the commute time to work -  if one lived around Herman Street would it be a reasonable distance to walk to work in the nicer weather?  If I'm sitting for 40 mins I'd rather walk or even jog to work, but only if there's sidewalks along at least the busy streets.

There is sidewalk along part of Herman Street and on Doran and Petawawa Blvd to the base

Nix said:
George, (or anyone who knows) we're probably looking around the same area (Herman Street) as the wife doesn't drive and wants to be close to at least the library and some small stores (shoppers etc), and the kids want to walk to school.  I'm curious about your comments about the commute time to work -  if one lived around Herman Street would it be a reasonable distance to walk to work in the nicer weather?  If I'm sitting for 40 mins I'd rather walk or even jog to work, but only if there's sidewalks along at least the busy streets.

I would ride a bike to work.

I would (and do) bike to work as well. It is not an unreasonable walk from Herman St...30-40 mins.

Does anyone here bike when there's snow on the ground in Petawawa?  I'm not sure if I'd want to on the road, but if the pathways were cleared I would consider it.  BTW I've always wondered if the paved path beside Petawawa Blvd to the bridge a bike path or is supposed to be a pedestrian only sidewalk?

My husband just found out that he is being posted to CFB Petawawa and that there are no PMQs available.  Any suggestions for alternative housing options? Any locations that are great? Any to stay away from? We are looking to rent.

Any help would be great as we are being sent on our HHT this Monday!

Accalia8 said:
My husband just found out that he is being posted to CFB Petawawa and that there are no PMQs available.

Is that just from the CFHA website, or did you call the Petawawa office? There might be someone moving around the same time that you are that could free up a PMQ.

Accalia8 said:

We get a HHT when we're looking at renting?  (vs buying)?  I thought we just got a DIT, not the full meal deal?  There probably are no RHU's available come Monday, but in a month or two they should have some opening up.  Why such an early HHT?  Is your dh's COS date soon?  Whatever the case, I hope you find accomodation!

We are posted to petawawa and wondering when is the best time to take a hht there? We have the option of anytime between now and September 5th.

Accalia8 said:
My husband just found out that he is being posted to CFB Petawawa and that there are no PMQs available.  Any suggestions for alternative housing options? Any locations that are great? Any to stay away from? We are looking to rent.

When I came here in Jan, there were no PMQ's available either. However, of the 3 people who came here with me and were put on the waiting list, they all received housing offers within a month. Get yourself on the waiting list, you never know when something will open up.

DaisyDee said:
We are posted to petawawa and wondering when is the best time to take a hht there? We have the option of anytime between now and September 5th.

Are you asking when the most selection is?  I was wondering this myself, asked a few realtors and was told generally May is the hottest month for sales.  That may or may not be the best time for a HHT trip depending on why you're asking though.  Lots of selection, but if there's more sales maybe prices are higher in May.  Hopefully someone else with better experience than I can tell you more.

I've been checking MLS website because we're going on our HHT in May, and it seems there's a LOT of housing listed in the last few weeks in Petawawa.  Is this normal for this early in the posting season?

Messages have started coming out so those people are probably just proactive in getting the home on the market. I bet the closing dates won't be until the summer.

Thanks Puckchaser.  I've never lived in a military town before and I'm shocked at the number of listings coming on the market every day in Petawawa, so my worry is we are waiting too long for our HHT (in May).  I am worried all the nice houses will be gone by then!

We'll be in competition Nix, I hope you aren't looking for the same type house as we are!

i am very new o all of this my boyfriend is getting his first posting to petawawa and we are looking to live together as we have not lived together previously can we still apply for a PMQ or an apartment on the base?  if so how much are they month?

darciethomosn said:
i am very new o all of this my boyfriend is getting his first posting to petawawa and we are looking to live together as we have not lived together previously can we still apply for a PMQ or an apartment on the base?  if so how much are they month?

As you have never lived together, you can not yet be considered "Common-Law".  I don't think you will legally be able to have your boyfriend get a PMQ and then have you move in with him. 

If, on the other hand, the two of you were to rent an apartment and live together for the amount of time that meets the definition of "Common-Law" then you would likely be able to apply for a PMQ.  However, having lived in an apartment, or having purchased a house, in Petawawa, that may be a little bit counterproductive.  You can probably rent or get a mortgage for the same amount, or even less, that you would pay for a PMQ.

okay that thank you very much that makes sense that we need to be considered common law first.  do you now of any sites that have apartment listings in petawawa or pembroke area i have looked but am finding it hard to find anything.

Back