• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

Well posting season is right around the corner so I figured it's time to revive the ever popular Pet thread.

I'm off to Pet in 3 weeks for an HHT; as my only experience in Pet was a 2 week exercise on the Mattawa Plain I'm hoping for some input from the experts.  We have pretty much decided that staying closer to the base is the best bet (ignoring the fact that paying $300-400K for a 4 bedroom house in Pet is insane!!). With two young ones the idea of being closer to the activities on base is very appealing; plus there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage to going out to Deep River or Pembroke, the price difference that has been noted in the past seems to have gotten smaller. Maybe this is due to looking outside the normal posting cycle, would the price differential increase once the HHT's start? If not, any price advantage would probably be eaten up by the extra cost of gas and commute time. I would be curious how the property taxes compare though, that could make a difference.

What about neighborhoods around Pet? Most of the houses listed on MLS seem to be in the Forest area which looks quite nice, especially the more mature houses. I think there was a question raised earlier in this thread about the quality of some of the newer houses, specifically in relation to Legacy homes; I have heard some similar concerns through other means, could anyone else shed share their experiences with Legacy, or other new builders. I'm quite interested in opinions of the Bedard Blvd/Nick St development.

Outside of housing can anyone provide some input on the following:

We're looking at sending our oldest to the French immersion program at General Lake...good/bad/better off home schooling?
My inner nerd can not live with dial-up/satellite internet; is Cogeco offering high-speed throughout Pet now, or are there still area's to avoid? Related to this, who is providing the best TV/phone service to the area (I know highly subjective, just looking for general impressions)?

Any other tips or tricks with getting settled in Pet would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

:cdn:

Ref Satellite and Internet:

I sold my house on Herman St in 2005.  5 min drive to City of London Bldg/RCR and RCD Lines on a quiet day........20 to 45 mins at Rush Hour.

When I was there, I got rid of Cogeco for Cable as they were often down due to weather (They also receive their signal via satellite and then send it to you via cable) and opted for Star Choice (Now Shaw).  I had extremely good satellite reception; much better than Cogeco was providing, with less loss of programming.

For Internet, I had Bell Sympatico DSL, and I had no problems with it. 

For what its worth, the new houses on Bedard, etc are selling starting at high 360s up to 400.  However, most, if not all, of the new homes being built do not come with a fenced yard, paved driveway, deck, air conditioning, sodded yard, and a finished basement.  If you are going to pay 400K for a house, I would think you would want all of that included.  There are some nice homes that are a few years older that are more reasonable in price in other areas. 

There are new houses going up that connect Limestone Trail and Highland Park that are lower in price but smaller than Bedard houses and also lacking the items mentioned.  You would end up paying extra for these things.  Some builders even refuse to put these things in.  I had one well known builder tell me that they don't build decks anymore, also said he didn't sod but then gave me the business card for a sod company owned and operated by his family. 

When we moved back to Pet we swore we would never live in Limestone but that is exactly where we ended up.  Turns out it is a great neighbourhood.  Who knew?  Family oriented.  My little one goes to General Lake and its a good school as far as schools go.  Lots of kids of all ages to play with in the neighbourhood.  Mount Molson is right there for skiing.  They have a fantastic kids ski program.  Also, lots of trails around the area for hiking, running, cycling, and geo caching.  Its also 5 mins door to door for work (unless you get caught in traffic).  There's a couple of houses for sale there now and resale is very good and the prices are still reasonable for a finished house. 

Inverted said:
Well posting season is right around the corner so I figured it's time to revive the ever popular Pet thread.

I'm off to Pet in 3 weeks for an HHT; as my only experience in Pet was a 2 week exercise on the Mattawa Plain I'm hoping for some input from the experts.  We have pretty much decided that staying closer to the base is the best bet (ignoring the fact that paying $300-400K for a 4 bedroom house in Pet is insane!!).

We bought just off B-line Road in 2002 and will be moving in summer of 2013.  To give you context for the insane statement, our home is 5-bedroom ranch style with 2.5 baths, huge kitchen, separate dining room, finished basement and 1.5 car garage.  It sits on a one acre lot that still is half forest.  In 2002 we paid $139,500.

Wow.

I sold my house on Petawawa Point (Earl St, to be exact) for $113,500 in 1996 and thought I did awesome ($4K in pure profit, baby!).

I can see now that I should have held on to it and rented out... :-\

A while back I was interested in pursuing employment in Petawawa. I thought I could get a nice place for cheap because well...it's Petawawa! I looked on MLS, did one of these  :eek: and promptly closed my browser. 

I have not considered trying to get to Petawawa since.  ;D

SeaKingTacco said:
Wow.

I sold my house on Petawawa Point (Earl St, to be exact) for $113,500 in 1996 and thought I did awesome ($4K in pure profit, baby!).

I can see now that I should have held on to it and rented out... :-\

I sold my house in Bon Accord Ab in 1996 for $99900 and it is up for $269,000

We've been in Limestone Trail for 3 years and love it!  It is close to all shopping and amenities, including hockey rink and recreational trails, and we've found it to be a family friendly neighbourhood.  We have made some of the best friends here.  As for the house itself, I am baffled to read accounts of flooding basements in this area.  No one we know here (of 15 neighbours) have ever had flooding issues.  The area is sand.  Our sump pump has never been on since we've lived here and our house was built in 2007.
The neighbourhood is great for military families as my wife and other neighbours have never had to worry about plowing in the winter/cutting grass, etc when we're in theatre.  Really great group of neighbours looking out for eachother here.  There are also lots of kids under 10 yrs.  Ours and our neighbours on each side and across the street were the first houses built in the neighbourhood and I can say we had a really great builder.  I think this area has great resell potential too as most places on Limestone or in this subdivision sell pretty quickly.  Our home was only on the market 9 days when we bought, but that was in April, I guess more at the height of posting season.

If you're on a HHT, our neighbours have a beautiful house for sale right now, with a huge 40' deck w/ great arbour thingy, with sliding doors from master and dining, and whole basement finished, fenced yard, master w/ walk-in and ensuite, jet tub, gas fireplace, etc.  They have one of the largest lots in the subdivision.  We went to their wedding in their backyard, it's a really nice place!!  Their address is 1033 Limestone Trail (mls 818614), it's listed at $319K but they need to sell fast and so may be willing to accept lower, if that helps.  Nice landscaping in summer too, complete with one of those address rocks in a nice flower bed with an oak tree.  Too bad for them to have to sell in winter...

Good luck on your HHT... I'm sure you'll find the perfect place!  .... did you say 3 week HHT? Why so long, if I may ask?

Sprinting Thistle said:
For what its worth, the new houses on Bedard, etc are selling starting at high 360s up to 400.  However, most, if not all, of the new homes being built do not come with a fenced yard, paved driveway, deck, air conditioning, sodded yard, and a finished basement.  If you are going to pay 400K for a house, I would think you would want all of that included.  There are some nice homes that are a few years older that are more reasonable in price in other areas. 

That is not accurate. I bought on Bedard for $330. A/C, paved driveway, sodded yard and deck were included. There are some new builds that have opened up on Bedard and area that are in the mid $250's.

Sci-guy said:
As for the house itself, I am baffled to read accounts of flooding basements in this area.  No one we know here (of 15 neighbours) have ever had flooding issues.  The area is sand. 

15 neighbours is a pretty small sample size. Some of the area is now sand and a lot of it was swamp just a few years ago.  If you were to ask neighbours further down Limestone Trail you might get some different opinions.

Take a look at this real estate ad from just 2 years ago ( 2010-02-18),
http://virtual.canoe.ca/?type=271&client=2058281%7C1613211&publication=557891

"1014 Limestone Trail, Petawawa, $223,900 00 Model home now under construction."

The house you recommend (1033) just 10 doors down now selling for the low real estate agent endorsed price of $319,000 - now that is appreciation - only $95,100 in 2 years! 

Or this current ad for 1018 Limestone at $354,800 http://www.theextremeteam.ca/current_listings.html

PMedMoe said:
AFAIK, there's nothing to stop him from requesting a PMQ as a single person.

See para 12 here:  http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/pub/mig113-mid113-eng.aspx

This link may also be of use:  http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pub/lai-il/index-eng.asp

True nothing stopping you at all, but as a single member (hate that expression since some of us aren't married but not single either) you get put at the bottom of the pile, i've been on the waiting list for over a year for a Q, because my landlord was selling due to being posted out, so I had like 1 month to actually find a place, and they just say tough noogie, whereas married colleagues have just out of the blue decided to sell their house, and save some $ by living closer and boom 1-2 weeks they have a Q...

We ended up buying in the Limestone area too, can't say enough good things about it.  No water issues in any houses here that I'm aware of and I know at least 75% of the residents in the neighbourhood.  Great neighbours, there's an active facebook group that organizes potlucks, playdates for the kidlings and moms, annual block parties, annual neighbourhood yard sale, etc etc.  And like others have mentioned, lots of kids under 10 in the area, which is great for the little ones to hang out with neighbours.

If anyone in Limestone wants to join the group here's the link:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/302576106424230/

My kids go to General Lake (French Immersion program) and it's an excellent school.  Plus a brand new RC school opening this fall only a 10-15 max walk from the area.

Plus, I'm walking distance to the Beer and LCBO stores ;)

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the area.

Hi, I'm hoping to get a little bit of info here about Petawawa. My husband has been there since February and it looks like we'll finally be able to join him in the next month or so since I had to wait until I found a job in my field. We'll be looking to buy a house (our first) and I'm just wondering what taxes are like in Petawawa? He has been told Petawawa is much cheaper than Pembroke. My job will mostly be in Pembroke although I may travel to the other hospitals in the area therefor I was thinking Petawawa would be a better fit for us since he would be closer to work (not that it really matters during traffic) and mostly because I want to have some support around whenever he's away on exercises and whatever else may come up...We also have a 3yr old starting school in September. Is child care hard to come by? I would be working shift work and could possibly need a sitter for overnight shifts if he's away. I figured Petawawa would also be better with all the activities for kids. Is there a french school in the area (not french immersion) ?
On a side note I'm shocked at the prices of houses in Petawawa!!!!!

Nix said:
George, (or anyone who knows) we're probably looking around the same area (Herman Street) as the wife doesn't drive and wants to be close to at least the library and some small stores (shoppers etc), and the kids want to walk to school.  I'm curious about your comments about the commute time to work -  if one lived around Herman Street would it be a reasonable distance to walk to work in the nicer weather?  If I'm sitting for 40 mins I'd rather walk or even jog to work, but only if there's sidewalks along at least the busy streets.

I live very close to Herman, (Hemlock/Woodland) its a nice jog to the base (approx 3 kms).  My Wife doesn't drive either and she finds its a nice walk to the stores, everything within in walking distance.

Cheers
Pop

Tiffy said:
I figured Petawawa would also be better with all the activities for kids. Is there a french school in the area (not french immersion) ?
There are plenty of activity for the kids, and more facilities in Pet than Pembroke. Because of this, many people drive their kids into Pet, esp as they get older.

French Schools are both in Pembroke. Kids from Petawawa are bused. The French Catholic is Jean-Lajoie, and the French public school is Equinox.

Child care: MFRC will should have a list of people who offer child care services, you will have to hunt the ones with the services you require.

For those posted to Petawawa I would strongly consider you look at Deep River as an option if you are moving to the area.  I lived in Pembroke when I first moved to the Valley and the past two years I have lived in Deep River.  I prefer Deep River hands down for a number of reasons.

Deep River has everything you need:  Grocery Store, Canadian Tire, Bank of Montreal, Rexall Pharmacy, LCBO, Beer Store, Burger King, Tim Hortons, Subway.  It also has comparatively low housing-costs when compared to Pet/Pembroke.  From my door to work it is a 22 minute drive down highway 17 and I am not plagued by the traffic that exists on Petawawa Blvd or Hwy 17 from Pembroke which depending on the day makes showing up for morning muster a challenge at times.

Ok it doesn't have all the stores that Pembroke does but realistically If I am going to do some serious shopping I will drive to Kanata/Ottawa on the weekend anyways.  I have a big property with a fire pit and often ahve friends over for drinks and outdoor parties in the summer.  The Ottawa River is right there and Deep River has a number of beaches and a marina if you have a boat. 

The majority of the folks in Deep River also work at AECL as opposed to CFB Petawawa so if you are looking for a little big of a break from work and not wanting to see people you work with outside of work all the time then Deep River is perfect. 

In closing a lot of people don't initially look at Deep River as an option when posted to Petawawa but if you are posted here I would strongly consider it.

+1 RoyalDrew...

In addition, those military who do live there (Deep River), do so to not live in a military town, and thus are less likely to plant regimental flags in the front lawns and such, and keep a low profile, therefore I find I feel like it's like living in a normal community, and helps keep the work/life balance. Sure the drive can be a pain, but like RD said, it's 22mins of little to no traffic, as opposed to 30mins of bumper-to-bumper, 40km/h crawl from Pembroke/Petawawa.

I really appreciate everyone's  input. Deep River has been on my radar, I'm just not sure about both of us commuting on a daily basis.My home base for work will be pembroke with  the possibility of shifts in deep river/Barry's Bay/renfrew while my husband will work in Petawawa. I figure if we made Pet our home base it would make more sense.

My fiancé and I will be posted to Petawawa around April/May. I have heard there is a wait list to get a PMQ. Does anyone know how long the wait period is?

Back