• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

I'm 19 years old and am going to CFLRS on July 26th as armoured soldier.  For the past 5-6 months I've been exercising 4-6 days a week.  Each exercise consists of running (meaning very brief walking, jogging and full out sprinting) on the treadmill for 20 mins (reaching approx. 2.5 km), doing 3 sets of 20 push ups, 3 sets of 20 sit ups, 3 sets of 10 squats, 3 sets of 15 on bench press (at 110 lb) and 3 sets of 15 curls (at 20 lbs).  I have been monitoring my progress, and I've gaining 5-10 lbs of muscle (Its hard to tell but, I'm definitely not gaining fat).  My question is: Physically, is this enough preparation?  (I have read everything there is available on PT for BMQ, I'm more interested in what you all think personally.) 

Also, I believe my sleep habits are a problem.  I sleep approx. 8-10 hours a night (given that I only work part time and don't have a heck of alot of responsibilities at the moment).  Should I attempt to adopt the sleep schedule I will have at CFLRS right away? (as in sleep at 2300 and wake at 0500)  I was planning on starting that sleep schedule in the very beginning of June (BMQ on July 26th) but, would that be waiting too long?  Did anyone else do this? or currently doing this to prepare for there BMQ?

P.S.:  This is my first topic post so, if I did something wrong, please tell me.  Thank you  :)

I would suggest getting 8 hours a night sleep right now.  If you get yourself into the schedule of going to bed at 2200 and getting up at 0600, you shouldn't find the transition to the BMQ schedule too hard.  Remember, the schedule they put you on at CFLRS is partly designed to impart stress on the recruits, it isn't a sleep schedule that you are expected to maintain for the rest of your career.  As for PT, I would be pushing it hard.  What you are doing now would suffice to pass, but it will be better for you in the long run to be in as good of shape as you possibly can.  The better shape you are in the easier basic will be for you, and you will also be better prepared for the subsequent Combat Arms training.

IMHO, I would have the following goals in mind before attending CFLRS:

Running: 5 km @ 10 km/h (30min), 2.4 km in less than 12 min (10 min would be better).
Pushups: 35 continuous, no pausing.
Sit-ups: 35 in one minute.
Chin-ups: 10

Don't stagnate in your training, make sure you are always pushing your limits (but don't exceed them, there's a fine line!)

It's ok to do cardio training everyday, but if you are be sure you're switching it up:  alternate between intervals and long distance.  Intervals will increase your top speed and the long distance will improve your stamina.

For your pushups, situps, and chinups, you should be training every SECOND day, allowing your muscles some time to recover and build.  If you don't allow your muscles sufficient rest in between sessions you will put yourself into an overtraining situation and will plateau, or worse.  With that being said, on the days that you are training (including with weights) push them hard.  If you finish your set of 20 and you feel like you can do more, do more.  If you feel like you can't, do more anyway :)

Anyway, that's the extent of my advice, but it sounds like your off to a great start!

For fitness, just be in the best shape you can. Based on what you're doing and how much longer you'll be doing it, you shouldn't have any problems for BMQ. You'll still be dog-tired, sore, and stressed (everyone is), but you'll get used to that. Just don't get injured before you even leave to BMQ.

With sleeping, you can do what you want, but also remember the time difference between where you live and CFLRC St. Jean. I didn't adjust my sleeping habits at all, but I do believe it was mostly the time zone that affected me.

My biggest word of advice is this (based on watching someone else go through it, and eventually VR from BMQ)
Don't prepare your ass off, and expect BMQ to be a cakewalk. When you get there and discover it isn't, don't get discouraged. Don't start second guessing yourself, and eventually VR because you convinced yourself you were unprepared.

BMQ is difficult. You could be physically ready, but you won't be mentally ready until you're there. It's meant to be stressful, and I dare say it's meant to make you second-guess why you're even there. But if you want it, you'll get it and that second-guessing turns into confidence and pride.

Good luck!

bc_boy2 said:
is this enough preparation?

Yes.

I feel like I should also mention that there are dozens of threads (beaten into the ground at that) regarding preparation for BMQ.

MedKAWD said:
Yes.

I feel like I should also mention that there are dozens of threads (beaten into the ground at that) regarding preparation for BMQ.

I'm aware of them, and I have read many of them.  I was just curious if my personal preparation is enough.  ( I had concerns about my running and other things)  My apologies for being redundant on BMQ preparation.

Thank you for the responses, I found everyone very helpful.  If anyone else has anything further to add, feel free to.  I greatly appreciate it.

bc_boy2 said:
Also, I believe my sleep habits are a problem.  I sleep approx. 8-10 hours a night (given that I only work part time and don't have a heck of alot of responsibilities at the moment).  Should I attempt to adopt the sleep schedule I will have at CFLRS right away?

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think you'll gain anything by sleeping less prior to BMQ.  As far as I know, the only real way to mitigate the effects of a lack of sleep during training is to be in top physical condition.  If you have extra time on your hands, my advice would be to exercise hard, eat a lot, and sleep as much as you can. 

Your mantra should be "Exercise, calories, recovery, repeat."

And don't forget to drink some beers too.  Relax and enjoy your downtime now, because you'll be busy soon enough.

Good luck!

The better fitness you have, the easier EVERYTHING else is. It is the one area of your experience on Basic that you can have a drastic impact on NOW.

Everything is a lot more fun when you're in shape.

If it were me, I'd have a goal of being able to do 50 push-ups continuous, 50 sit-ups, 12 chin ups, and do 2.4 k in 10 mins or less.

I am personally preparing for BMQ myself, I just got my paper work done and was told to expect to be in BMQ roughly around September - November.

I visit the gym 3-4 times a week and generally switch my workouts around... Abs every other day + Shoulders/Back one day, chest and biceps the other, legs on other days + running (running on weekends as well)

I am going to start doing once a week jog/marches with weights on my back this month.

Honestly, I'll I have heard is exactly what everyone says here, you can never be too fit!

Hopefully this helped you in some way mate and best of luck at BMQ!

Cheers.

atticus said:
So, I noticed that after I run, my legs aren't sore the next day at all now. Even if I run in the morning that evening it feels as if I didn't run at all. Is this okay, or should I be taking this as a note to work harder?

Well, that is good for you Atticus, that was a note that you will work harder.  That everything that we wanted, we must work harder for it. Likewise, if we want a physical fitness body we must persevere on exercising, like jogging, proper diet, and also strength. So that we can get a best result for our effort.

Good posts, Iam by far a expert in this jogging/running field but have come across some really interesting information regarding jogging.
Like most starting out I suffered from shin splints, soreness etc which made jogging a chore to do, took all sorts of advice-body straight, heel to toe running etc. Well down at the local park I managed to catch up with a guy who was running very different than lots leaning foward, almost intentionally!!! and feet were not heel to toe, so ofcourse I had to ask, he stated that he was Chi Running, I kind of chuckled until he explained more on the teqnique envovled.
So being more curious I You Tubed Chi Running and the lead promoter of this style this Dryer guy explained in the video more which makes a ton of sense.
I would post the link but not to sure how, anyhow this non-heel to toe thing and not leaning foward a bit was a must try. Wow no shin splints. The style of running has actually been used by the Kenya running school for many years, leaning just a bit foward, they were asked why lean foward, reply" running and jogging is no more than just a controlled fall".
I recommend checking these videos out, because like I said before I am not by far a authorty in this area, but what makes sense, makes sense and my legs dont suffer any more.

I'd like to add and hopefully this hasn't been covered yet here.  Keeping up fitness, especially cardio, even while deployed is very important.  There will be a time when you have to start running every day again, like when you get back to garrison life.  You would be surprised how quickly the ability to run fades during a tour.  I've never been much of a runner, but since I got back I feel like I am back to week 1 of BMQ, ha ha.  I don't know if anyone has any suggestions on how to do cardio when stuck in a leaguer, but it would be helpful to some of us.

To those that are gauging their running performance from a treadmill, don't.  There is a huge difference between actual running and a treadmill, and I have found the distances stated on a treadmill aren't that accurate.  The only way to actually determine your time for the 2.4km is to run it on a measured route either outdoors, or on an indoor track.

And one more for those that aren't great at running.  Don't give up.  It will be noticeable that you fall behind every run, but if you give it your best, and keep running at a slower pace to catch your breath, it at least shows determination and other than some slagging that your slow but for the most part they want to see effort and an improvement over time.  They will not be very happy if you start walking.  The important part is to keep that running motion going.

Remember, it is easier to stay in shape than it is to get in shape.

I second stealthylizard's comment about the treadmill! Im training up for BMQ right now and have a gym at the office...I also run in the park up the street. At first, I was sticking to the treadmill because the park is super hilly and has weird meandering trails and paths, so its hard to get a accurate read on distance and speed... easier to do with the treadmill. BUT, man... huge difference indeed. Once I started hitting the park more often, I was shocked at how little distance I could cover in the same amount of time as on the treadmill. So now Im using the treadmill for warm ups in the gym and Run mostly in the park. As I said, its got hills all over, good training, and I have noticed a definite improvement on my treadmill performance since.

Another thing I've come to understand and realize (especially being an older recruit), making sure your body is balanced in terms of core strength and stability play a huge role in running. When I started to train about 6 months ago,  I had  a lot of trouble while running....I'd get really sore hamstrings, knee, and shoulders. At first I thought it was over the hill (at 32! LOL!!) so went to the doc, cause it just felt wrong. Turns out years of slacking off has created an imbalance in my core and the stronger side of my body overcompensates, creating fatigue and eventually injury. So.... long story short, get that core strength where it should be. Sounds like a no brainer, but core strength is the most important thing. Big biceps mean jack if your core is outta wack.

my 2cents  ;)
JB

Personally and its been proven in researches and anecdotal evidence, that unless you're a long distance runner and need to practice said event that there are far better ways to acquire aerobic endurance then running 10-20km in a shot.

I don't about you guys but I don't exactly have the 1-3 hours to run that much...AND next to wacthing paint dry its probably the most boring thing to do, so i'd go for alternatives...circuit training, intervals, etc lot more fun, same/similar results. and less time.

Not sure if anyone can help shed light on what is wrong with my leg/calf but here goes, any good input will be appreciated.  I had an issue with my shoulders in which I saw physio about the rotator cuff in which things are alright now but while I was waiting for my shoulders to get better I changed my form for running and had a pain going down starting in the bottom of my calf/soleus going through my achilles into the bottom of my feet.  I had a mild case of plantar facitis but that went away then went into my achilles but only mild then into my lower calf/soleus into my foot with regular discomfort in the joints along with the ankle.  I have got better but i have not ran in a while and have been trying to get my feet use to wearing my combats again as i am going for a course soon.  Now I am trying to stretch my calf but at times it feels tight but stretch that and my achilles with cracks and pops once and a whilke when i am stretching it.  I have seen the dr but they said that it's these things and so on to do this and it will be fine but this has taken about a month and a half to get to this point and know that it will continue to get better and will be fine soon but wouldn't mind finding out what happened and what I can do to avoid it again. 

How many of you run/train through injury/pain in order to keep training or going on courses? I keep getting injuries every time I step up my PT and it's driving me crazy. So I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue, and just said f**k it and kept on training, doing courses, etc.

I appreciate the feedback.

I'm no expert, but I wouldn't recommend you continue training if you're hurt or in pain; you'll do more damage than good. I would recommend doing some other form of exercising while that particular part of your body is healing.

Regards,

It depends.

If it's "wow, I'm sore today," then yes, continue training.

If it's "wow, I'm super sore today," then continue training.

If you think whatever it is may be "hurt," rest it for a couple days, or just until it feels better and resume training. If the process repeats itself, figure out why via necessary means. (Internet, medical professional.)

If you're getting hurt from running, with no previous health issues, then maybe look at your recovery. Are you employing any SMR/foam rolling? Stretching? An issue of a tight "something" can cause soreness or pain in another "something".

Perhaps you can provide some more details?

Training through the pain is what got me in trouble. I used to be a pretty hard core Cadet back when I was young and trained hard as hell then. During my early-mid 20's I partied more than trained and went through long bouts of in-activity followed by short "intense" periods where mentally I was still hard as nails, but physically, I was crap. I used to just fight through the pain, not realizing (or caring at the time) that I was to pay dearly for this by creating the perfect situation for injuries... which of course plagued me later on and still does today sometimes. But now I rest or train light if I pull anything or feel out of wack and have educated myself a bit better in terms of training your body and taking care of it so it lasts.

So in short, learn to listen to your body, it'll definitely let you know when its ready to jack if you know what to look for.

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to share a handy running aid with you; I found an app for the Blackberry phone called 'RoadRunner GPS'. It uses collaborative information from 4 satellites to map your route, changes in altitude, pace (measured in either minutes per km or mile) and total running time. You can also set it to alert you at distance or time intervals. When you are finished your run it sends the data to a website that you have a secure log-in for; from there you can view a graph of your varying speeds over the course of your run. All the data charts are stored online, so it's a great tool for monitoring your progress over time. Also, if you are aiming for a specific distance it saves having to run at a track.
Just thought I'd share it with you...it's been really helpful for me so far.

:)

Back