• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

ONT said:
How many of you run/train through injury/pain in order to keep training or going on courses? I keep getting injuries every time I step up my PT and it's driving me crazy. So I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue, and just said f**k it and kept on training, doing courses, etc.

I appreciate the feedback.

Training with injuries is never good. First and foremost, you put yourself at risk of further injuring yourself. Are you talking injuries such as joint sprains? Even a grade 1 sprain should facilitate an appropriate resting/healing period. If you further strain the ligaments you risk tearing them. I'm not sure if it is even possible to fully recover from these tears.

This is different from delayed onset muscle soreness. This is where, after especially strenuous/new routines, you can't move and it "aches" to do things. At this point, you should continue to keep active and move but let off the gas for a few days and stretch lots. Eventually your muscles attenuate. Movement and stretching is important during this phase. I believe it is because it prevents fibrosis, but then I'm not a physiologist; I'm sure many out there could explain it better than I could.

On a different note: For those of you running with an iPhone, a great App to track your running is RunKeeper. It's very similar to the App GloriaVictis mentioned (I don't think her app is available for the iPhone).

You shouldnt run/train through injury in order to keep going on course, but pretty much everybody does.  I am sure everybody in the infantry knows of someone on their battle school that finished with an injury that they probably should have seeked medical attention.  On mine, one guy had broken ribs and made it through the last 3 weeks, which included offensive/defensive week, and CQC.  Another one had a hairline fracture in their femur and finished CQC week.

If you can train without making it worse, go for it.

If training will make it worse, reconsider.

Kratos said:
If you can train without making it worse, go for it.

If training will make it worse, reconsider.

Wrong. If you're injured you seek medical evaluation. You're not a doctor. Stay away from advising people about medical conditions.

recceguy said:
Wrong. If you're injured you seek medical evaluation. You're not a doctor. Stay away from advising people about medical conditions.

I don't think I ever claimed to be a doctor, nor did I give medical advice on any condition. I did state my view point on the subject.

Are you, then, saying that someone should seek medical attention for every bump and bruise? If so, in my opinion, that's ridiculous.

Kratos said:
I don't think I ever claimed to be a doctor, nor did I give medical advice on any condition. I did state my view point on the subject.

Are you, then, saying that someone should seek medical attention for every bump and bruise? If so, in my opinion, that's ridiculous.

Let's not try deflect and cloud the issue. If a person is hurt, say from running, the idea of continuing on through a pain you've never (or maybe you have) experienced before is ridiculous. And you know darn well, from the previous posts, we're not talking about bumps and bruises. The point being, that in the military, you err on the side of caution. If you are hurt, don't report it, continue on and exacerbate it, you have put yourself in a position to be charged. You'll learn this little tidbit if you join.

Telling someone to continue on through the pain (you don't know how much, or what's causing it, or if it will make it worse) is akin to amateur medical advice. On this 'military' site, we like to try have people stay in their lanes. Medical diagnostics, care and treatment isn't yours.

If you require further clarification, I'm sure one of our resident military Doctors or Medics will be along to do that for you.

Milnet.ca Staff

edit for spelling (Thx Occam  ;) )

Actually, I made my post after only reading post #298.

I guess I need a medical degree to know the difference between pain caused by an injury and soreness.

So, if you're on course and it's time to go for a run and you say "sorry, I can't, my legs are kind of sore," what kind of response are you going to get?

"Drop and give me thirty!"
"I can't, my arms and chest are pretty sore."

I don't see the issue with the point I was trying to make to begin with, which was basically that there is a difference between soreness and injury. One you can train through, the other, maybe not so much.

Should you go to the doctor if you have DOMS?

Kratos said:
So, if you're on course and it's time to go for a run and you say "sorry, I can't, my legs are kind of sore," what kind of response are you going to get?

"Drop and give me thirty!"
"I can't, my arms and chest are pretty sore"

I don't see the issue with the point I was trying to make to begin with. There is a difference between soreness and injury. One you can train through, the other, maybe not so much.

The answer from the Staff will be for you to immediately march yourself directly to the MIR/UMS and get a Sick Chit for that problem.......or you do the exercise.

Kratos said:
Should you go to the doctor if you have DOMS?

If it keeps you from performing the duty expected of you until it subsides then yes, you would go to the MIR. [if that what they call it nowadays]

Do you tell your boss you can't do your job today because of your DOMS?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Do you tell your boss you can't do your job today because of your DOMS?

No, because that would be beyond ridiculous.

When training, are people in the military taught proper recovery methods? Things like stretching and, possibly even more important, SMR?

I have no idea what SMR is, but we usually stretch every morning before PT.  Are we taught the proper method of stretching, probably not.  Do we stretch at the proper time? Who knows?  Some think you should stretch before starting any exercise.  Others think you should do a warm up first then stretch, and there are those that have you stretch while warming up.  Some advise that you don't stretch immediately after a run, and wait an hour.

In regards to "proper recovery" stretching is nowhere near the most important factor, nutrition and sleep/rest are.  You can do all the stretching in the world, but if you don't sleep/rest and eat like crap...you won't recover as fast.

Biggoals2bdone said:
In regards to "proper recovery" stretching is nowhere near the most important factor, nutrition and sleep/rest are.  You can do all the stretching in the world, but if you don't sleep/rest and eat like crap...you won't recover as fast.

Sleeping and eating are usually implied....

You'd think, but not so many people are that logical.  I also wouldn't say stretching helps recovery. Unless you can do fascia stretching, I would say massage therapy would help more.

Warming muscles up before a work out is always a good idea. It cuts down on soreness after runs, and strenghtening exercises. Along with preventing injuries due to cold inactive muscles. ie.strains

Biggoals2bdone said:
You'd think, but not so many people are that logical.  I also wouldn't say stretching helps recovery. Unless you can do fascia stretching, I would say massage therapy would help more.

SMR+stretching after a workout or hot shower will work wonders and be more than enough in almost any situation. Provided, of course, you know how to do it properly, but that knowledge can be easily attained through Google.

Stretching certainly helps recovery.

lets agree to disagree.

i'm also of the school of thought of no stretching before exercises...just a warm-up.

Personally, I used to stretch before AND after as that was how i was taught when I was a wee Cadet. Then a friend of mine who does triathlons  A LOT mentioned that he never stretches.... ever. But he is also one of those freaks of nature who can down pints and pints of guiness and then compete the next morning all bright eyed and bushy tailed.... but I digress. I tried his method, as I've always found stretching to be a big pain in the arse.... but I just got tighter and tighter and did not feel good.

Now I warm up a bit, then do the exercises, cool down then stretch. Its what works for me. Also, if I'm particularly stiff after a work out I'll do a little stretch routine to get the blood flowing again. After trying different methods, I am a firm believer in different strokes for different folks.
On a different note.... I just changed my running shoes....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My god! I can't believe I used to actually run in the old ones. I always thought that Running Room was bunch of crap, but after getting knee problems earlier this year from running, I looked into proper shoe fitting. Long story short, the right shoes made all the difference. I now hurt where Im supposed to hurt after a run and my feet don't feel like I've done 30Km when I'd only done 3  ;D The right shoes folks..... trust me!

Back