• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot Selections

Gunshark

Inactive
Reaction score
My post is in order to get a second opinion from a recruiter who may be familiar with processing pilot applicants, both successful and not. I am a long time pilot applicant, and this summer I passed my 2nd attempt at aircrew selection. I am currently waiting to get merit listed and of course I am hoping for an offer, but I’ve also been trying to understand what will happen if I am merit listed but not selected. Do most/all pilot applicants on the merit list get selected within say 1-2 selection boards? Or do some never get selected and sort of just linger on the merit list, and keep redoing their interviews and medicals indefinitely? I’ve received mixed responses. Some say being on the pilot merit list essentially means it’s only a matter of time until the offer, others say only the best get selected from the merit list (and pilot trade is very competitive). I am hoping for the best but also trying to develop a realistic view of the situation and the different possible outcomes. I am applying DEO pilot and last I’ve heard there are about a couple dozen spots remaining for this fall’s selections. It would be helpful to estimate the chances. Thank you to all who have provided their responses and encouragement so far, and to those (from the recruiting office) who may have any additional feedback on this.

Good day Sir. Thank you for the reply. My apologies if I've broken the guidelines. My intention was not so much to talk about my specific file, but rather to understand in more general terms what happens to pilot applicants who are merit listed but not sent an offer; whether this is a regular occurrence, and whether they still have a good chance of getting picked up at the next selection or their file gets closed on account of it being not competitive. I thought perhaps you may have noticed any trends in the past and would be willing to share them. That may help candidates plan and prepare for both good and bad news. Thank you.

Good day,

Applicants that are merit listed but do not receive an offer may have many factors pertaining to why they were not as competitive as other applicants applying for the same occupation. In future selections for the occupation more individuals would also have had time to be processed by their recruiting centers and merit listed for the occupation. Therefore an applicant that is not as competitive as other individuals applying for the chosen occupation may never receive an offer for that occupation.   

Thank you. Is this a common occurrence for pilot applicants (or officer applicants in general, for that matter)? Is the merit list normally much larger than the number of selected applicants? Or does the recruiting group try to tailor the size of the list to the volume of open positions? Thanks.

Good day,

If you have any further questions regarding different entry plans for occupations ect. prior to the submission of an application in accordance with the questions to be asked on this form in the read first post I'd be more then happy to answer them. For further information on merit listing ect regarding applications that have already been submitted and are awaiting an answer this is NOT the form to ask them.

Back