• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

pistols/ hand guns

I'm a gun snob -

I've had a lot of handguns in the over $2k price range.

I dislike Nornico based on its China State Arms Industry (all revenue goes into their MILITARY) - their guns are a bargain for a base model gun.  However IF you get serious and are putting 20+k of rounds downrnage a year they will not hold up.  Add in Night Sights (for better day contrast for those who dont plan on using it as a tactical tool) some aftermarket parts (they break some basic parts in their 1911 and Sig clones with a couple K rounds -- and you could have gone a Glock 17 - which is the most idiot proof handgun in Canada (I prefer the 19 - but they have dangerous  ::) short barrels so are now verbotten in Kanada).

I have 2 3rd gen G19's in the US, (amongst other toys)  less than 500 each with Night Sight  ;D

My wish list isn't compatible with current Canadian mores, so I'm SOL.

Sig Sauer P229R - Yes, I want to play with all 3 calibre's. I'm dying to see what the .357 SIG is like.
Ruger SP101 - Because I still have a soft spot for a small .357 5 shot revolver.
FN FIVE-SEVEN - It's ugly, but I'm curious about the 5.7x28mm ammunition and I'd like to play with this as well. Besides, 20 rd mags...
And of course, my personal favourite...
Kimber Ultra Carry II.

Because I wasn't bright enough to purchase a throwaway prohib pistol in '93, I am unable to investigate any of the above in Canada. The closest I can do is a Norinco NP-34 (Sig Sauer P228 Clone) as the barrel extends from the slide ~ 0.5" (yeah, that changes everything) and of course there are the moral issues Infidel mentioned.

So what does that leave? I have my eyes on a Para-Ordinance P14 Stainless; but as I'm supposed to be returning to training soon, I'm being stingy with my dollars. I like the Sigs (personal preference overall) and will get another in time. Glocks, I know I should love them, but I'm a bit, Meh... This must be where the personal preference comes in. Being reared on Colts, I just don't like the trigger. I'm curious about the H&K USP line. I don't know if this factors, but I tested a Glock 21 .45 ACP in Texas about 12 years ago and I haven't returned to it, maybe the current generation would be to my liking? I'll have to open myself up a bit to the Glocks and try them again. Maybe the smaller G19 will appeal, oh wait, that's right.

I'm a big guy w/ big hands, but I seem to prefer the smaller sub pistols (P228 vs P226). I shoot quite well with them and feel comfortable. But I can only indulge myself when I'm abroad where the rules aren't quite as restrictive as they are here.

I'm just musing aloud, wishing I was at the range now...

My Glock 21 was the only pistol (well other than that damn Berretta 92-F) that I dont regret selling...
It soured me on Glock for a long time.

I had a Glock23 but .40 is too pricey for me (I had gotten out of the Army and was going to University for a bit) so it when by the wayside (well it actually left during the divorce but thats another story that took my MP-5 too).

For work now - the G19 fits the bill -- seems US DOS decided the Sig P226 series they issue the SA's was too pricey for contractors so we all get Glocks -- Funny enough I shoot the Glock better under stress -- I have two Civy P226's (one 226R) and they are great guns too and much better for me for range work than the Glock.

My Kimber CDP was probably my most accurate pistol - followed by my Novak Custom Hi-Power

Blah Blah Blah - sorry for the hi-jack.

Seems that comes up often with regards to the Sigs, (first choice, but too much $$$, so we've gone w/ ********)

Notice no one mentions the Smiths anymore eh?

Infidel-6 said:
However IF you get serious and are putting 20+k of rounds downrnage a year they will not hold up.  Add in Night Sights (for better day contrast for those who dont plan on using it as a tactical tool) some aftermarket parts (they break some basic parts in their 1911 and Sig clones with a couple K rounds -- and you could have gone a Glock 17 - which is the most idiot proof handgun in Canada (I prefer the 19 - but they have dangerous  ::) short barrels so are now verbotten in Kanada).

If anyone is wanting a Glock 19 or other Glock compact, which are 'verbotten in Kanada' :), Questar International has them with extended barrels of 106mm or longer.  Although the extra $300 bucks may not outweigh the slightly better ergonomics (for some shooters) of the 19 over the 17.

http://www.questar.ca/deals/Glock.htm

I always had a hankering for the G26, but as i just bought a 1911 Commander and a P226ST, I think my wife would shoot me if I bought another pistol for awhile, working on a new shotgun and a M305.

Infidel why the G19 over the G26? or is concelling not the issue?

Have you tried any of the Springfield XD's?

Heres a question...
Are Heckler & Koch pistols available in Canada?  Namely the Mk. 23, and USP?

Just a temporary hijack, Sorry, but it will be done soon.
Danke

Koenigsegg said:
Heres a question...
Are Heckler & Koch pistols available in Canada?  Namely the Mk. 23, and USP?

The H&K brand and the USP models are readily available and quite common.  There is a civillian version of the mk.23 which is available, however, I've never seen one.  For the price, you could get a nice, higher end 1911 or wait for the H&K 45 which was recently previewed in the Shotgun News.

Hello all,i personaly own a colt 1911 government issued it is a very nice gun i have done some mods to it,i don't exactly have my resticted firearms lisence yet...but i plan on getting it soon..i was just wondering when you join the military (infantry) do you get your restricted firearms lisence?  :threat: :salute:

PTE Laing

PTE-Laing said:
i was just wondering when you join the military (infantry) do you get your restricted firearms lisence? 
PTE Laing
once again: No.

PTE-Laing said:
Hello all,i personaly own a colt 1911 government issued it is a very nice gun i have done some mods to it,i don't exactly have my resticted firearms lisence yet...but i plan on getting it soon..i was just wondering when you join the military (infantry) do you get your restricted firearms lisence?  :threat: :salute:

PTE Laing

And just how do you own a handgun without a restriced P.A.L.??

I can lend him one if his dad says its okay  ;D

KimberWarrior.jpg

PTE-Laing said:
Hello all,i personaly own a colt 1911 government issued it is a very nice gun i have done some mods to it,i don't exactly have my resticted firearms lisence yet...but i plan on getting it soon
PTE Laing

So you personally 'own' a restricted weapon, yet do not have the proper paperwork to posess it? How do you do that? Of the once 40 hanguns that I LEGALLY owned, I never had never heard of anything of such BS.

As suggested, the only valid legal point about this is the weapon belongs to Mom or Dad. Not that there is anything wrong with that either, as long as the pistol locked IAW the regs, is not accessable by him at any time.

Hummmm.

Anyways, i think this guy is a cadet, as in a previous post he claims to be a first year Army cadet (not that there is anything wrong with that), but this should be rectified in his profile as he sounds like a CF mbr based out of 'GAGtown'.

Get the hint Mr Laing, and do the right thing. Don't pretend to be what you are NOT.

Bad ju-ju.

Back