• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Please tell me there is someone out there that remembers these dudes...

Wow, haven't heard these tunes for quite a long time! The 80's were my era of music.

You must include my two favorite bar bands of the 80's:

Doug and the Slugs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwwPmNWQfIY

George Thorogood and the Destroyers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8VlcbndXdM&mode=related&search=

I remember the Live Aid concert at Wembley Stadium, that was an amazing show (the one where Phil Collins jumped on the Concord after his performance and flew to Philly to perform at their Live Aid the same day).

Funny how Joanie M and Neil Young haven't changed at all...but I am reminded how bad the shoulder pad thing was...

In the 1980s I thought that Phil Collins was a poser, and I still do.

The "80's" bands that I listened to included the following:
The Cult
Iron Maiden
Voi Void
Venom
The Mission
The Dead Kennedys

So, as you can see, very few synthesizers.  Note that Motley Crew, Guns N Roses and other "poser" bands aren't included, though Metallica does get mentioned the odd time.

"Bang your Head" somewhere else, poser, it's time for VENOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCK ON!

:D

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:

How so?? I have always liked Phil Collins, with Genesis or without.  I always thought that he (and Peter Gabriel before him) attributed to the success of that band.  After all, who went on to have successful solo careers?

I was never really into head banging music.  Quiet Riot was about as far as that went.  ::)  Wow, that's almost embarrassing to say!!!

Who remembers "The Rodeo Song" by Showdown?

I still listen to it on regular basis. ;)

Well it's forty below and I don't give a f**k, got a heater in my truck and it's off to the rodeo!!  ;D
Almost forgot that one!!!

PMedMoe said:
Well it's forty below and I don't give a f**k, got a heater in my truck and it's off to the rodeo!!  ;D
Almost forgot that one!!!

Hated it then, hate it now.  In the Chilliwack JRC the 935s would load about a jillion quarters into the jukebox and play that crap over and over and over and over and ove...That one and Eddie Rabbit "driving My Life Away", AAAAAARRRGGGGGHH!!  We went through a couple of music machines in those days.

A much over looked Canadian band from the late 70' was Goddo.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb2ddcSDC0A

And of course, who can forget Teenage Head (saw them at Ontario Place) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZI6v8Z6Q6E

My favourite has always been Triumph http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVtsKuj22vQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja5DIOiYJiw  Rik Emmett had to be one of the best guitarist going, just listen to his accoustic numbers. 

Just to date myself, I remember seeing Helix in bar in Toronto where they were going from table to table trying to sell the records (remember those big round things?)

rmacqueen said:
Just to date myself, I remember seeing Helix in bar in Toronto where they were going from table to table trying to sell the records (remember those big round things?)

Records?  Oh right.  That's what you started buying to update your 8track collection, wasn't it macqueen??  ;D

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:

The "80's" bands that I listened to included the following:
The Cult
Iron Maiden
Voi Void
Venom
The Mission
The Dead Kennedys

So, as you can see, very few synthesizers.  Note that Motley Crew, Guns N Roses and other "poser" bands aren't included, though Metallica does get mentioned the odd time.

"Bang your Head" somewhere else, poser, it's time for VENOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCK ON!

Remember 39C's redneck noise - I remember the boss asking if it was OK to put Ozzy on - I thanked him profusely.

MM

medicineman said:
Remember 39C's redneck noise - I remember the boss asking if it was OK to put Ozzy on - I thanked him profusely.

MM
Yes, I shall never forget 39C's "music".  One good thing about 39: Judas Priest was in his repetoire! :D

I remember staying up way past my bedtime to watch "Good Rockin' Tonight" on CBC, I think?

I definitely remeber Terry David Mulligan being the host at some point.

Man, those were the days ,before cable or sat.  I really appreciated seeing those videos.  I remember Twisted Sister's "Wer're Not Gonna Take It" being one of my faves.

See now Hauptman,

I would have taken you for Twisted Sister fan, the Dead Kennedy's would have been at the bottom of my list for you.

You have managed to shock me (and that does not come easy)....one of my favourite sayings as per my yearbook..."I'm not too drunk...."

;D

Then there was also that Metal Queen Lee Aaron. And I distinctly recall her and Guns & Roses trying to sell albums at the Misty Moon. I probably was too drunk that night!!

Twisted Sister?  Those lipstick and makeup wearing goons?  They had promise; however, they failed to meet the standard.
Some even "older" bands:
Motorhead
Discharge
Iggy Stooge and the Stooges (yes, that "Iggy" who bacame "Iggy Pop")
Black Sabbath

The best?  You gotta love The Rolling Stones: I'm talking the 1968-1972 "time zone" with honourable mention to 1978-1981, 1964-1966 (1967 is right out to lunch!), as well as 1993-current.

1968's Beggar's Banquet, 1969's Let it Bleed, 1970's Get yer Ya-Ya's out, 1971's Sticky Fingers and 1972's Exile on Main Street were without a doubt the best run by any band, bar none, starting with that famous single "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and ending with "Tumblin' Dice", "Happy", "Shine a Light" and "Loving Cup".

Ron Wood should go back to playing Gee-Tar for Rod "The Bod" Stewart and Mick Taylor should get his head out of his arse and get back up on that stage!

(Those other years were "ok", but Brian Jones, though talented, was a liability, and Ron Wood, though competent, is no Mick Taylor, though Ronnie does go well with Keith)

The Librarian said:
You have managed to shock me (and that does not come easy)....one of my favourite sayings as per my yearbook..."I'm not too drunk...."

"....now listen kid....you're outta luck....I'm rolling down the stairs too drunk...."

The Box, Platinum Blonde my first concert on my own without parents when I was 14. :)

British - Howard Jone, Nik Kershaw , ABC, Level 42

NZ - Crowded House

DirtyDog said:
I remember staying up way past my bedtime to watch "Good Rockin' Tonight" on CBC, I think?

I definitely remeber Terry David Mulligan being the host at some point.

Man, those were the days ,before cable or sat.  I really appreciated seeing those videos.  I remember Twisted Sister's "Wer're Not Gonna Take It" being one of my faves.

Hey I stayed up passed my bedtime to watch Good rocking tonight on CBC too. Yes Tery was the first host then another guy too over. They also have a Tv Video hits pon Friday afternoons. :)

Men with out hats was my fav, and Dead or Alive "you spin me round like a record." :)

I remember dancing in my livingroom to the videos and AIR BANDS!  I was born in 1970 so there I dated myself I'm 37 now. :)

mistyqueen said:
Hey i did that too. :) I remember dancing in my livingroom to the videos and AIR BANDS!  I was in 1970 so there i dated myself I'm 37 now. :)
Young pup!

mistyqueen said:
Hey I stayed up passed my bedtime to watch Good rocking tonight on CBC too. Yes Tery was the first host then another guy too over. They also have a Tv Video hits pon Friday afternoons. :)

Men with out hats was my fav, and Dead or Alive "you spin me round like a record." :)

I remember dancing in my livingroom to the videos and AIR BANDS!  I was born in 1970 so there I dated myself I'm 37 now. :)

I was just a wee lad watching it, being born in '77.

Back