• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Policy on Stimulants

Mediman14

Inactive
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me the Policy on Stimulants? If a member is placed on a stimulant medication such as Ritalin, Adderall, does that automatically turn into a TCat/ PCat?

Thanks

My gut tells me it may. I don't have a copy of the medical standards handy, but the crux of things would come down to how often the member needed follow up, and what the risks are with abrupt discontinuation of the medication.

If the member needed follow up more frequently than every six months, then that's likely G4O4. If there would be considerable risk to the member in stopping the medication abruptly, then also G4O4.

Caveat: I haven't done a CF medical in a good number of years, so my information may be out of date.

The other issue is what condition is the stimulant for - ADHD vs narcolepsy, etc.  The condition also dictates the category, again for reasons of follow up, ability to obtain care if condition deteriorates or if medication not available.  A short category could be put in place simply to observe how a person reacts to their new med, how well they are functioning on it, any adverse or side effects, etc.

MM

Adrenalin rush is also a stimulant.

At minimum, it should be a PCAT G3 - enhanced predeployment screening. MEL's may be more restrictive on a case-by-case basis.

Back