• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posted with 3 days notice.

tristismilitis

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has seen or experienced a situation of a "blindside" posting and if so, what steps were taken to address it.

I'm guessing the answer boils down to requesting a compassionate posting in order to have the message cancelled or at the least requesting a delay in RFD, but still hoping to hear if others have had, or are aware of similar circumstances because I'm just gobsmacked at the lack of information and professionalism.

The Coles notes are mbr was told via unofficial means, while away from the unit, about a posting message. There were three calendar days notice for COS/RFD, move is to a different unit in the same area. Last conversation with the CM (within 4 weeks) was that no move was in the forecast. No explanation offered with the abrupt change in plan. Request is in to speak with the CoC upon return to the unit.

Also, never having experienced something of this nature, I am unsure of the logistics/Admin with regard to leave that was approved by CO of the losing unit when a mbr is posted out.

Thoughts, suggestions and or relating of personal experiences is appreciated.

tm.

If he's posted in the same area, isn't it a matter or clearing out his desk at the losing unit and checking in at the gaining unit?  It is not a cost move so no real entitlements.

Ive had this happen to me about 6 years ago. Me and another in my shop were posted to a different unit down the road the next day. No biggie, just clear out of one place and into the next.
In my experience with leave, just let the new immediate supervisor know of the leave. Its been a non issue any time I've dealt with it.

Sent from my Samsung S6 using Tapatalk

I don't see the issue in a local area move, or any grounds in which I'd recommend a memo for requesting compassionate posting. RFD change 30 days to right is an easy day memo/email, but might get pushback unless the mbr has SLOCs to sign over to someone.

For a no cost move in the same geographic area, I don't see a violation of policy, although it does seem a little unusual. CFTDI recommends 30 days notice for a temporary workplace change, presumably so people can sort out their new commute and parking arrangements -- it does seem odd that policy doesn't recommend 30 days notice for a permanent workplace change.

On a side note, I once received a backdated posting message, as in the date-time-group of the posting message was a day later than the COS date, and it was a cost move. I was required to put in a 30 day extension of RFD (which was really 29 day), get on HHT and move my stuff extremely quickly. It was, to say the least, a horrible experience, and I still hold a grudge against the officer that tried ordering me to go on IR in order to expedite the move -- news flash, IRP was extremely confused when I told them about the order, as single members without dependants can't go on IR. I'm still bitter about the experience many years later.

If a member has an approved Leave Pass, his leave has been authorized and the new unit shouldn't do anything about it.  However, if the new CO (not a supervisor, it has to be the CO) deems it an operational necessity, he can theoretically cancel that leave, but then would have to pay the costs of doing so (e.g. reimburse cancellation/change fees, pre-paid hotels, etc.)

Thanks for the replies! Just to give a bit more information: the actual posting message has yet to be presented to the member and the COS/RFD date was days ago. Assumed the CoC would automatically request a delay of RFD once it was known that the mbr is not at the unit (away on task) and so hasn't received the official message, but I suppose it was an error to make that assumption! The reason compassionate came up is because the current position is fairly static and the new position is quite the opposite. With no posting anticipated this APS it's a huge sudden change with potential family implications.
Again, thanks for the responses. I figured the leave would be respected as per comments above but appreciate the confirmation!

tm.

Compassionate has career implications, I'd be extremely careful trying that route, and might give a bad first impression to the gaining unit if not supported by cm.

I was once posted and found out almost a week later as the unit I was working at never received a message.  Found out by the base supt clk calling and asking why I hadn't reported to the ship.  Shouldn't have been surprised though - that same unit didn't know I was coming there until I called to find out where to report. 

be real careful on compassionate and be sure to check out all the possible impacts - courses, promotions come to mind right off.

bit of a learning lesson on this - no move does not mean no posting.  I always ask am I getting posted and then where to. 

Back