• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Potential Education Reimbursement Funding Restriction FY 13/14

navymich

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
And yet another "potential" cut of funding.  I just received this email regarding my current active ILP:

POTENTIAL EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT FUNDING RESTRICTION FY 13/14 =========================

******** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL ********

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR YOUR INFORMATION.

SENT ON BEHALF OF COMD CDA

1. Military Personnel Instruction 17/04 - Education Reimbursement for the Regular Force establishes the CF Education Reimbursement program and assigns responsibility for its administration to CDA. The program has been in effect since 2004 and provides an avenue for CF personnel to be reimbursed for educational opportunities in support of CF objectives. The instruction notes that funding for this program is not guaranteed.

2. While the CF Education Reimbursement program has never guaranteed funding for ILPs, funding in recent years has been available to fully reimburse ILPs. However, due to current departmental fiscal pressures, the funds available for ER may be significantly reduced on 1 Apr 2013.

3. Para 2 does not refer to ILPs for members under DAOD 5002-6 CEOTP or CANFORGEN 094/10 -Education Reimbursement for Ill and Injured Personnel. ILPs and claims may continue to be submitted under these policies.

4. Specific details on the implications for and existing ILPs will be sent as a separate notice to users and posted on the CDA ILP DWAN site at http://cda.mil.ca/j3ops/ilpaccess-eng.asp or http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/au-ns/wa/rp-eng.asp.

5. Questions or clarifications can be sent to +DLM-DGA@CDA-ACD@Kingston or dlm-dga@forces.gc.ca mailbox.

Ya, just got the same one minutes after I submitted the final paper on my 7th of 12 courses. I'll be able to get the 8th done before the 1st but hopefully I can get the last 4 courses funded. I can't say I am that surprised frankly that this is one of the programs on the chopping block but it is incredibly short sighted.

I was talking to a couple of friends the other day about ILPs.  Neither of them have been able to submit a request for new ILPs.  Definitely unfortunate for anyone trying to get started on education. 

I also received an email in November telling me to log into my current ILP, review for accuracy, and indicate substantiation for continuing with it.  After I did that, it was re-endorsed and re-approved for funding for FY 2012/13.  I figure that was the start of things, to determine how many are currently accurate and hopefully that will help with some funding for next FY.

jeffb said:
.....but it is incredibly short sighted.
That may be the eulogy for CDA.  This is but one of several short-sighted decisions that cuts educational/intellectual support for the CF but keeps the maximum number of CDA HQ personnel employed. 

After all, when you're provided with a MGen commanding, there's a whole PY pyramid of requisite ranks, whose justification cannot be questioned.

The PRes is affected by this too. One of my troops just forwarded this to me.

POTENTIAL EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT FUNDING RESTRICTION FY 13/14 =========================

******** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL ********

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR YOUR INFORMATION.

SENT ON BEHALF OF COMD CDA

1. CBI 210.801 - Education Reimbursement - Primary Reserve establishes the CF Education Reimbursement program and assigns responsibility for its administration to CDA. The program has been in effect since 2004 and provides an avenue for CF personnel to be reimbursed for educational opportunities in support of CF objectives. Note that funding for this program is not guaranteed.

2. While the CF Education Reimbursement program has never guaranteed funding for ILPs, funding in recent years has been available to reimburse ILPs $2,000 per academic year to a career maximum of $8,000. However, due to current departmental fiscal pressures, the funds available for ER may be significantly reduced on 1 Apr 13.

3. Para 2 does not refer to ILPs for members under CANFORGEN 094/10 - Education Reimbursement for Ill and Injured Personnel. ILPs and claims may continue to be submitted under this policy.

4. Specific details on the implications for and existing ILPs will be sent as a separate notice to users and posted on the CDA ILP DWAN site at http://cda.mil.ca/j3ops/ilpaccess-eng.asp or http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/au-ns/wa/rp-eng.asp.

5. Questions or clarifications can be sent to +DLM-DGA@CDA-ACD@Kingston or dlm-dga@forces.gc.ca mailbox.

*********** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL ***********

Following on my last post, upon further reflection: Is anyone here in the chain of command of a reserve organization aware of this having been promulgated down the chain of command prior to or concurrent with word going directly to the soldiers potentially impacted via email? My back of the envelope numbers (~25k PRes, ~40% student ca. a 2006 study) we may be looking at between 6 and 10k reservists who've just had this sent to them direct, and those of us who the soldiers should be able to count on to explain things have not been informed about this possibility.

It may be that word simply didn't get to me, but I'd like to know if this has been formally promulgated down the chain at any level, or if CDA's taking the 'bite the pillow; it helps' approach on this one.

Nothing came to/through me at my unit.

Harris said:
Nothing came to/through me at my unit.

You've got considerably more rank than I, and more experience in seeing things from a loftier perspective- is it reasonable of me to be a bit pissed that unit leadership may well be finding this out first from the troops themselves? We've been afforded no ability to proactively address the inevitable rumors.

I think I can fairly say this is the single most visible and accessed benefit amongst our troops, and is a hell of a retention tool besides that.

CunningPlan.jpg

I did hear rumblings about this about 10 days ago. There have been meetings in Kingston about this and other topics and more are coming. I am surprised though that this is how it is being broadcasted to us. This is being sent out in advance of an official directive, I suspect because though something will change with respect to ER, exactly what is probably not known. Notice it says "...funds available for ER may be significantly reduced on 1 Apr 13..."

Pat in Halifax said:
I did hear rumblings about this about 10 days ago. There have been meetings in Kingston about this and other topics and more are coming. I am surprised though that this is how it is being broadcasted to us. This is being sent out in advance of an official directive, I suspect because though something will change with respect to ER, exactly what is probably not known. Notice it says "...funds available for ER may be significantly reduced on 1 Apr 13..."

Yup, seen. I just find that the extremely 'maybe' nature of this is discordant with the need apparently felt to get word out suddenly and directly by this kind of dissemination.

Brihard said:
You've got considerably more rank than I, and more experience in seeing things from a loftier perspective- is it reasonable of me to be a bit pissed that unit leadership may well be finding this out first from the troops themselves? We've been afforded no ability to proactively address the inevitable rumors.

No, I agree with you.  This is not acceptable.  What do I tell my troops when they come looking for answers?  I guess I've got some work to do Monday.

Harris said:
No, I agree with you.  This is not acceptable.  What do I tell my troops when they come looking for answers?  I guess I've got some work to do Monday.

Yup. Absent any Monday morning fires to put out, drafting an email up my chain to summarize what's known and what I believe needs to be found out is my first task after my second coffee allows me to start with the words-putting-into-sentences-doing-thing.

It would be helpful if they define the selection criteria for what or who they will approve/not approve.  I realize that there would still be no guarantees, but at least you might be able get an idea of your probability.  Especially helpful for young troops that don't have the money to burn.

Or is that too much to ask for?

Pat in Halifax said:
I Notice it says "...funds available for ER may be significantly reduced on 1 Apr 13..."

What I find the most troubling is that they leave everyone hanging, especially with the 'may' portion.  Either spill the beans or make up your minds prior to such 'notifications'.

HappyWithYourHacky said:
What I find the most troubling is that they leave everyone hanging, especially with the 'may' portion.  Either spill the beans or make up your minds prior to such 'notifications'.

Seems common, just like PLD and LDA "may" be going away last year, or this year, or next year. Fear mongering soldiers who don't need the added stress...

AND the fact that they sent the emails out late Friday so there is nobody to contact to inquiry further about things so we sit here and stew until Monday.

Well, the good news is, there's advance notice this time.  Last time they screwed with educational reimbursement, they did it after everyone had enrolled and paid for the fall semester.

The direct to troops email is a growing problem though; it happens with Schools sending joining instructions for courses, CFJSG does it with joining instructions for pre-deployment training etc and then everyone craps on the chain of command when one of the troops fails to meet the requirements that the chain of command had no visibility on.

Something else I just thought of:  Let's say that they do axe ER come 1 Apr.  Any ER prior to 1 Apr would still be good, but by the books, we have up to one year to submit our claims.  I would almost think about registering for a bunch of courses within my ILP for this semester to ensure I have it, and then take the next while to work on them.

However, I can also see them putting a limit on the timeframe for when these final claims must be submitted, or not even putting it into writing and then cutting it on 31 Mar 2013.

All of these are just thoughts and ideas, and hopefully more information will follow soon.  But I am in a good position right now because I am working on an OPME (hence "free")and my ILP technically gives me 2 courses for this semester.  Two of the ones that I need are monthly intake so I am seriously considering signing up for them for 1 Mar and getting them in now before things might be cut.

The e-mail I received through the CoC stated that funding would be reduced for all ER with the exception of CEOTP and sick and injured personnel. On top of that, only receipts provided for courses completed by 30 Apr 13 would be reimbursed. This date was selected because it coincided with the end of most university/college semesters. Members were told not to make financial commitments until further info was provided.

Back