• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pre-Deployment Leave

DirtyDog

Inactive
Reaction score
What is the "norm",  if any, when it comes to pre-deployment leave?  I'm not talking how much actual pre-deployment, annual, special, weekend, etc days you get, but actual calender days.

I know people like replacements for instance get very little time before leaving but it seems, with some around here getting little more then a week, that with the months of preparation for this tour that things could have worked out a little better for some folks.

I'm not griping (as one of the people affected), I accept things need to happen, or atleast some things happening are quite beneficial to the mission, but I'm wondering if this is at all out of the norm.  Not only is predeployment seemingly quite short for some people, but they are working long days up to that point with very little time for all the various admin issues, etc. that needs to be taken care before deploying.  Granted, this is a very small minority of the pers deploying I'm talking about. 

This tour will be my fourth, and each time the average is about 3 weeks off.  Although my unit, this time, had things planned right up to a week before some deployment dates.  I have been away from home since September, that includes the shmozzle which was California for 2 months for pre-deployment training (I could start a whole new thread on the lack of "training" but I digress)  I was one of the lucky ones as I could drive home on weekends but really, 7 months of work-up away from the family, the very least they could do is give you three weeks off before you go.  Not sure if this ramble covered your original question.

Back