• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pre unification Officer? epaulets

larry Strong

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Found these at the Red Deer antique show......What are they??

Thanks for your help
Larry

Hello

Many thanks for the help. I had found out that they are for No 1 dress but have been unable to place the rank. I believe it's for a senior field grade officer. I found this, though it's RAF. It shows the different ranks, though my example is not shown. Could be a Canadian quirk.

http://www.britairforce.com/raf_rankbadges_1.htm

I was also able to get the belt as shown to the right of the epaulettes in your link. Made by Wm Scully Ltd it's a small 31 inch belt. Made with wire embroidery.

Yes they are epaulettes for pre-unification RCAF No. 1 Dress for officers of Air rank (note the laurel around the button).

Many thanks :salute: What was "Air rank"? It's an unfamiliar term to me. Obviously not of general rank or they would have the "lion standing on top of the crown" would they not?

Air rank equated to Flag rank or General Officer. If you look at some of the old titles, for example you will see AOC for Air Officer Commanding a command or an air division or whatever.

Thanks for that :salute: Sweet little score ;D Is the belt for a specific rank level or was it a "one size fits all"?

They look like epaulettes worn by all RCAF officers on ceremonial parades. My father, a retired Squadron Leader/Major, owned a set and I can remember him wearing them on parades. Also I started my military service during the transition from the old pre-unification uniforms to the CF uniforms, and I remember officers wearing the epaulettes and belts when on parade in their old uniforms.

Back