• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Preparing a ruck for commercial flight

Andyd513

Inactive
Reaction score
Any tips or suggestions on what they will/won't allow to be checked?

Right now I'm planning to tape or tie all the straps down.

Commercial Airline usually put the rucks in those big plastic bags, so you won't have to worry about loose things being restrained.

Things like loose batteries, a radio wth batteries in, insect repellent, and anything else flamable are definate NO gos for in the ruck for a flight. But really, its no different then any other commercial flight. And like the previous post said, put it into a bag so that things don't get caught up.

Try using small electrical ties for all three accessory pouches (self explanatory how to slip then thru). The main cover and sleeping bag valise should stay secured with the straps provided.

Then just cut the ties off afterwards. This will ensure any accident opening of the pouches. As for carrying questionalbe stuff like whats mentioned above. if you have any doubts, dont take it, or ring the ariline.

do the same thing on the way home.

Have a good time trg.

Cheers,

Wes

Hm what should I do about the insect repellent issued to me by my unit? Carry-on?

Wasn't planning on taking a carry-on, short flight and I've got the ruck, dufflebag and a suitcase as it is.

I recall seeing a sign at the airport (either Saskatoon or Calgary, I forget) that said something along the lines of "liquids with undetermined origin aren't allowed" (I assume the issued insect repellent is a liquid?).  Anyways, I had a sealed unopened bottle of water with me, so it was ok, but without the seal the security guard said she would've had to confiscate it.

Like with all things, a ruck should be prepared for commercial flight the same as for any other luggage.

Tie everything down tight and if it has to go in a plastic bag, so be it.

Don't put anything valuable or fragile in it, or at least, in the outer pockets.

Leave the flammables, such as matches, fuels, hexy fuel tabs, out.  Empty your canteens/camelbacks if they are getting checked-in, to reduce the weight and minimize the chance of it leaking.  No pressurized containers.  Put everything in ziplock bags.  Coleman has great new self-vacuum-sealing camping bags, that are like big ziplocks, only you can squeeze all the air out and make it tight and small, and still waterproof.  A great idea.

Batteries, and some pressurized containers are ok, within limits.  If it's a common item, such as a shaving cream can, or a pair of flashlight or walkman batteries, there's no problem.  Transport Canada only starts to worry when you've got boxes of lighters, large oxygen tanks (as for scuba diving), loads of batteries, etc.  For most CF kit, you're good to go.

If you have doubts, don't bring it, or at least ask the airline.

Also, anything sharp or dangerous should be in the ruck or duffle and checked-in.  We're in the army but god forbid we don't wanna hurt anyone!  Joking aside, airline security is a big issue and the airlines don't care what you do for a living, they don't want knives and other instruments with hijacking potential on board in the passenger cabin.

Remember, finally, that the passenger assumes most of the responsibility and liability.  If your ruck gets torn, dirty or broken, oh well.  The general view of the airlines is that your luggage is there to protect the contents, and if it gets damaged but the stuff inside is ok, it's done it's job.

Back