• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
badapple said:
My opinion is in roughly ten years, it will be handled the same as alcohol by the CF

Alcohol and Alcohol abuse are frowned upon in the CF these days.  Alcohol abuse can mean discharge from the Forces.

GW

because ALL AROUND marijuana is being socially accepted more and more, in some places even moreso than tobacco smoking.  My opinion is in roughly ten years, it will be handled the same as alcohol by the CF

Well maybe we'll see you in 10 years in the CF

To NBK and his band of buddies, all of whom insist that Drugs Are O.K.

Why, oh why, would you and your friends come on to a forum dedicated to serving and retired members of the CF and insist that abusing drugs is not only O.K but a positive, life changing experience?

Sorry but I don't understand your motivation...

Are you trying to convince us all that filling your system with chemicals that someone made in their basement is alright and a cool thing to do? "Hey look at me my mind is permanently damaged but I'm sooo cool!"  NOT

There are websites dedicated to that subject. Perhaps you and yours would feel more at home posting on one of those instead of here...?

I don't think that this forum is liable to be very sympathetic to your view point. And I'm also concerned that some of the younger posters may actually be taken in by your "misguided posts"

By the way welcome to the Ninjasniper's club. Somehow it seems appropriate...

Slim

DRUGS ARE BAD! :skull:

badapple said:
I'll admit, i smoke pot.  But im responsible about it, i know(just like people who drink, like many in the NCO mess at this very moment) that you can do something recreationally on my spare time like, smoke pot, or consume alcohol, and be at work in the morning with a clear head.

Also, i would prefer working with a person addicted to marijuana, over one addicted to alcohol anyday.

Are you in the CF? Because your talking like your a member to a mess somewhere. If so maybe you should really consider what is more important: your job, or pot because if you get caught smoking pot while in the reserves, regs, even cic you'll get the boot. I've spent alot of time in the JR mess at my old unit, and yes, there was drinking, and yes, some times a few people got out of hand but there was always consequencesto their actions. I remember when the liberals were pushing for decriminalizing/legalizing pot and the RSM sure gave us one long lecture about it. The just of it was: It doesn't matter what you think, right now it's against the law and if your caught you loose your job. Plain and simple. This isn't just the CF with this policy either, most oil companies have manditory drug tests every so often (my fathers is about every 6 months), the hospital where I'm currently employed has you sign a paper saying you agree to random drug tests, my sister had to pass a drug test to even get accepted into college and another when she got hired at as a nurse and guess what? With all of them if you test positive you get fired. I agree with Bruce, I don't think it's socially changing at all, it's just the people who are advocates for it are just getting louder while the majority sit and watch.

Oh, and I'd prefere that buddy addicted to weed and buddy addicted to alcohol both be in rehab.

badapple said:
not unless my trade, NCI OP, becomes a V3 instead of a V4

Greeeeat thats all we need in the front row a stoned ARRO, ASPO or TS. No thanks!    ::)

What I don't get is the feeling that you have that doing drugs gives you life experience.  Doing drugs is an escape.  It is an escape from the reality of everyday life.  If you can't face reality, how can you truly experience life?

GW

Okay, so new to this board and everything, and while the whole drug debate is not really an issue for me (and not wanted to advocate illegal or immoral activity), I'm curious how the CF determines an applicant's prior drug habits?

I know there's a medical, which makes perfect sense . . . but what about some guy who did coke 10 ort 15 years ago?  Is it really just up to the applicant to be honest?  I mean, there's no polygraph or anything, is there?  I know there can be for certain security clearances for certain jobs . . . so what if a recruit lied to his recruiting officer and said no, never did a drug in my life, passed the medical, but then got caught out on a polygraph test years later while screening for a Top Secret clearance? 

Hypothetical, I know, but I'm just curious if the recruit's word is the only thing they have to go on, if he/she passes the medical?  I mean, if I had an old drug habit, I wouldn't very well go telling people about it . . .

It doesn't matter what you think, right now it's against the law and if your caught you loose your job. Plain and simple.

I'd say that what you think matters quite a bit. If you think that doing drugs is alright, then thats not the type of personality I'd want to be serving with. I want to work with folks who see the meaning behind the laws - who not only avoid drugs because of the legal consequences, but also KNOW that using drugs has physical, emotional, and mental consequences as well.

I know that what I've just said takes on a different tone then my previous posts in this thread, so I think I'll clarify my situation. Back when I was in high school I got involved with all sorts of stuff that would be frowned on by the CF. I was honest with my recruiter, and it took quite awhile to get my application moving. But now when I look back at high school, I realize how stupid I was. I know how this crap fucks with your head, I've been there. But I also know that if you sort yourself out and decide where your priorities are, you can go on to be a productive member of the CF.

Man, I'm 20 years old. I'm not one of those ultra-conservative "old people" who waves his finger in your face and lectures you about stuff I don't understand. I used to think the exact same way, untill I was clean for a few months. I like to think I grew up a bit, but I'm still young enough to remember all the shit I used to tell myself.

Ghost: I didn't mean to say guns are bad, do not put words into my mouth. I like guns a lot. The chance to use them is one big reason I was always interested in the military. What I meant is that acting like drugs are the cause of peoples problems is like saying that guns are the cause of people getting shot. In both cases it is the PEOPLE who have the problem, not the means that they use to solve their problem. Not every gun user is a murderer and not every drug user is addicted.

Also I have no experience with steriods, so I cannot speak about them but I do know about some drugs, which I am speaking about.

scott1nsh said:
I wasn't going to weigh in but I re-read the thread and some other posts of yours nbk and I just have to get this out:

You state that you are in the process of applying to the CF, just waiting for the call, eh? Well if you consider the policies that everyone must follow "abhorrant and senseless" then why would you join? You applied 043 (Combat Engineer) Do you think the CF should change those "abhorrant and senseless" policies and then turn you loose to smoke a bowl and go play with mines? I don't think you'd have too many followers.

Yes I am just waiting for the call. I was honest 100% with the recruiter and he actually had a brain on his shoulders and listened to what I was saying instead of just hearing the words "positive experiences with drugs" and then throwing a hissy fit. I have absolutely no criminal record and he was so impressed with my professionalism and eloquency in speaking about myself he even told me I'd make a "fine soldier".

I think the big problem that you people have is you have zero education about drugs. You have seen too many after school specials and trust far too much in the media and the lies that they spread.

FACT: The majority of drugs are not physically addictive. To get addicted to these drugs you either need to have some sort of mental problem preventing you from having any self control, or have a really screwed up horrible life, living on the streets or whatever. In fact drugs like LSD often give such intense and profound experiences that one does not wish to repeat the experience for weeks or months after. In fact with LSD one's tolerance goes up so fast that if one took the drug more then one a week or so, the drug would have no effect. Flashbacks are bullocks. Seriously do not believe every scare tactic that the prohibitionist media tries to tell you about people going blind from staring at the sun or suddenly having drugs in their spinal fluid leak into their brain causing them to trip while they have not ingested anything for a long time. They are complete and utter bullshit with zero unbiased scientific evidence to back them up. Flashbacks can happen, but from what I am told its more when you use other drugs (I've never gotten one myself). For example if you dropped acid one week and then a month later you smoked a joint, you may have some of the feelings of the acid with the marijuana, even though none of the acid is in your system. Its more of a de ja vu type experience when the THC is acting on the same parts of your brain as the LSD was. The whole idea of people going insane or not being able to control what is happening, is pure over hyped scare tactics from the newsmedia trying to scare people.

Why is it that you guys are so quick to criticize the media when it demonizes the CF, yet you take it what it says as absolute gospel when it tries to demonize drugs? They lie to scare you people, so you tune back in every night to see what is up.

scott1nsh said:
In another topic about drugs, you stated that you'd quit to join the CF because of the policies, I commend you for that, at least you'll tow the line unlike some who'd just hide it and try to get away with it. You also said that you'd really cut back on your use of drugs "over the last few years" My question then, and still is, how many f-ing years have you been doing drugs? It's curiosity, not a snipe.

Cheers

*Tha quote was addressed to me, so the answer is about me, and if you don't want to hear about me, then skip it*

Again people need more education on the subject, and have to get over this silly thought that everyone who uses drugs is addicted and MUST use them or they will go crazy. Drugs are absolutely not my entire life. They were used as a very small thing to enhance my life, and I do not regret almost anything I've ever done. Sure mistakes have happened, but I've learned from them, and not repeated them. Giving up drugs to join the CF is no more difficult then giving up gourmet food. I think more about lack of privacy and freetime as being negative then lack of drugs. Its really not a big deal for me at all. When I decided to join the CF I weighed all the pros and cons and the pros outweighed the cons so I decided to go for it.

When you ask me how many years I have been doing drugs you make it sound like I'm shooting heroin every day. The first time I tried weed was about in grade 6 or 7 like most kids that age. Always was at the top of my class, never failed a subject throughout all of elementary school or high school (except for one class in grade 10 that was due to a teacher's vendetta against me...NO the weed didn't make me paranoid, I'm serious she had it in for me and several others in the class). In high school I tried some other light drugs, and never anything addictive like crack or smack or opiates. I never even bothered with unsafe drusg like exstacy. I had the grades and the money to go to university, but I did not see any point in sitting around wasting my life hearing about people doing things, and not doing them myself.

If drugs have taught me one thing (and in fact they have taught me much more) it is that life is measured by experiences and sitting aroudn wasting away on some U of T campus is not the way to enjoy this time when I am most healthy and most able. I wanted to join the CF to travel, learn and do all sorts of real life things in a real job. I want to experience everything that life here has to offer. Drugs have shown me so much that I am very thankful for discovering them when I did and using them in a correct, safe and educated manner. I have learned so many things I would have never learned any other way. So many new perspectives on life, death, fear, stress, everything. I can say that drugs have improved my life very much, with no long lasting down sides. I am the most healthy person I know, and because I never abused drugs, I have been able to utilize their benefits and not succum to their negative aspects.

Drugs are not for everyone, and lots of people who can't handle them, will get screwed over by them. My earlier gun analogy was quite apt in fact.. If you respect them, you can use them and benefit from them. If you do not respect them and use them carelessly, then they can injure or kill you. They are not for everyone of course, but knowing my personal experiences with them, I am not about to condemn them, no matter what is fashionable to fit in with all of you, who have never even tried them in the first place and haven't a clue about what you are speaking of. You get mad when people who are not in the CF come on here and try to tell you all about life in the CF and how to be a ninja sniper, so how do you think I feel when you guys speak to me about how evil drugs are without having any first hand experience with them? You just sound foolish.

Armymedic said:
Its not all bad, you are indeed correct that if you can't follow your employeer's rules and regs, you will be quickly fired/layed off/punted from your means of income....But I really do hope with that attitude toward the Queen's regulations and Administrative Orders, you choose not to become a mbr of my Canadian Forces.

Who on earth ever said you have to agree with something to abide by it? Do you agree 100% with every last policy that the DND has? You still follow them even if you don't agree with them, don't you? It doesn't matter what you believe in personally. It doesn't matter if something is unjust (as the DND drug policy is). If something will get you fired if you don't abide by it, then you abide by it. If the DND inacts a guideline that no one may eat steak, then you don't eat steak unless you want to get axed. Is it a big enough deal to risk getting canned over? Weigh the pros and cons and deal with any consequences that may come up. I'm fine not eating steak cause its not essential, its nice but I dont need it. Same goes with drugs. They are nice but I don't need them.

Armymedic said:
Gee nbk, maybe this SEAL commander, after all he's done, wanted to experience more of what life had to offer?
I wonder in this case in the US Navy just "condemning" this "good, decent and brave" sailor with their "very twisted and backwards policy"?

Wow you quoted my post twice without me even responding. You must really fancy me.

That guy was selling drugs, which I personally believe is wrong. However, since there is no legal way to get drugs, someone must sell them, in our capitalist society in order for people to get them. I do not blame the guy, I blame Adam Smith. The case you presented is a perfect example of why non addictive drugs should be legalized (although he was selling coke, which is addictive and he should be punished for, and exstacy which is unregulated, because it is illegal to manufacture and can contain all manner of bad things). So thank you for showing everyone why our laws are completely unjust and backwards. I agree with you on this account. Remember what I said before, drugs do not make bad people. Bad people make bad people.

Slim said:
To NBK and his band of buddies, all of whom insist that Drugs Are O.K.

Why, oh why, would you and your friends come on to a forum dedicated to serving and retired members of the CF and insist that abusing drugs is not only O.K but a positive, life changing experience?

Maybe I am under the false assumption that retired and serving members of the CF may be open to new and correct ideas and don't take offence when someone tries to expose their minds to new ideas and thoughts that they may take something intelligent away from. Why does anyone post anything anywhere? To exchange ideas and learn. What would be the point if someone posted a message saying "drugs are bad" and everyone replied with "yes" "I agree" "you are right"? Are you so insecure in your beliefs that you cannot tolerate someone showing how flawed they are, so instead of trying to defend your beliefs you have to attack the person and try to get him to disprove your ideas elsewhere?

Slim said:
Are you trying to convince us all that filling your system with chemicals that someone made in their basement is alright and a cool thing to do? "Hey look at me my mind is permanently damaged but I'm sooo cool!"  NOT

Again life is not an after school special. Moderate use of drugs does not damage your body any worse then moderate alcohol or moderate fast food. Does your body get damaged when you pop an Advil when you have a headache? No. but if you popped Advil several times every day it would get damaged. Advil is a drug as well and used improperly anything can hurt you. People who do drugs to fit in or "be cool" are really stupid. If you want to use drugs, do so for self discovery, not for anyone else. What is "cool" about doing drugs? Most people are uneducated like you and assume that people who do drugs are bad, why would anyone do them to "fit in"? That is one of the many many things that the silly drug education in schools has always got wrong. Most people don't do that, and its just stupid if you do.

Slim said:
There are websites dedicated to that subject. Perhaps you and yours would feel more at home posting on one of those instead of here...?

I am only one person. Are you seeing more then one of me? And you think I hallucinate...I do post on drug related message boards as well, but honestly I have better things to do then spend all day on the internet, thats why it takes me long to respond to all of your posts.

Slim said:
I don't think that this forum is liable to be very sympathetic to your view point. And I'm also concerned that some of the younger posters may actually be taken in by your "misguided posts"

If the youngsters are listening let me tell them one thing from someone who has had real world experience: Take everything in life in moderation. Take everything in life with a grain of salt. Do not do anything you dont want to, because in the end you will only answer to yourself. Do not believe everything you hear. Do not believe everything you see. You are not a bad person for choosing to experiment with drugs, but do not condemn people who dont, because you will look foolish. You are not a bad person for choosing not to experiment with drugs, although do not condemnt people who do, or you look foolish. Do not do drugs for the sake of any other people. Research research research. Know what you are doing. Know the risks, weigh the risks. Don't do anything on impulse. Have a trusted sober friend nearby if doing new drugs, although it doesn't hurt to have a sober friend nearby even if you think you know what you are doing. Drugs are not all the same. Purity of street drugs is not the same. Never expect anything from a drug. Never turn to drugs to solve problems. A drug is just a drug, it can enhance life if used correctly, but it is not your life. 

Slim said:
By the way welcome to the Ninjasniper's club. Somehow it seems appropriate...

I'm quite happy to be a part of army.ca's most prestigious group of elite superior and most intelligent individuals.

Slim said:
DRUGS ARE BAD! :skull:

THAT ADVICE IS BAD, AND THAT IS A STATEMENT MADE OUT OF IGNORANCE :skull:

nbk, I'm feeling a bit left out here.

You've got all your angles covered untill a guy who does have experience with drugs steps up and makes a point. As far as I can tell, your arguments are based on the "You don't know what it's really like" line. You can say that most of the other guys around here are just warped by media stereotype, but you can't make that claim about myself. You MUST have something to say, so lets hear it... You've got nothin.

nbk

I am soo glad that a nineteen year old has soo much wisdom.  That he knows so much and has so much experience and knowledge to pass on to the younger generation.  I guess I was born old and uneducated, that I don't know what a 'Life Experience' was and missed out on all of them at those Rock Concerts in Europe.  I bow down to your supreme being. ::)

Get a real life and stop trying to find it in hallucinogenics.

GW

nbk said:
I'm quite happy to be a part of army.ca's most prestigious group of elite superior and most intelligent individuals.

This won't be tolerated, nbk.  No one here is going to lay claim to any kind of moral, intellectual, ethnic, or military superiority to anyone else, especially not based on their choice of avatar.  You want to elevate yourself over the "masses" here, I suggest you do it with the quality of your posts. 

Army.ca is theoretically a rankless society where elements from across Canada - and beyond - can get together and discuss issues pertinent to Canada's Army - be they soldiers, veterans or civilians. 

The ones whose opinions count the most are, generally speaking, the ones that are out on ops right now, sweating and bleeding to protect your right to speak freely.  They don't have much time for drawing pictures on the internet of waxing prolific on a public sounding board.  They're too busy working for a living.

I'd be careful with just how far you plan on elevating your own status.

As to your "arguments" in this thread, they are well stated and while I am diametrically opposed to just about everything you say, I will defend your right to say it - even say it here - so long as you try and remember your place in the grand scheme of things.  We of the directing staff certainly are, and I am sure those serving soldiers who post here certainly are as well.  You're advised to keep it in mind.

George Wallace said:
I am soo glad that a nineteen year old has soo much wisdom.   That he knows so much and has so much experience and knowledge to pass on to the younger generation.   I guess I was born old and uneducated, that I don't know what a 'Life Experience' was and missed out on all of them at those Rock Concerts in Europe.   I bow down to your supreme being. ::)

Get a real life and stop trying to find it in hallucinogenics.

GW

Prime example of a closed minded person, you probably didn't even read his post

Michael Dorosh said:
You want to elevate yourself over the "masses" here, I suggest you do it with the quality of your posts.  

im not trying to argue with a mod, but by the look and sound of his post, it was a quality one IMO.

nbk: Despite your weak attempts at justification, you are willingly and knowingly taking part in criminal activity. You have committed a number of crimes which, if prosecuted, would land you in prison. You say you aren't a criminal, and yet the only way you don't fall into the category of criminal is that you haven't been caught. Not only that, you support this criminal activity and show no remorse for your obviously illegal behaviour.

As for your weak attempts at justification: LSD stays in your system forever. It alters your DNA and can cause such severe mental disorders with repeated use such as schizophrenia or severe depression. Flashbacks, while only occuring in a minority of users, can happen up to two years and beyond after the last intake of the drug. Essentially, it makes you completely untrustworthy with a weapon, and if I discovered that a soldier I knew used it, I would never trust them with a weapon or in a stressful situation. Any person who needs to abuse illegal substances, obviously is lacking any kind of real coping mechanisms to deal with reality. If your mental state is so fragile that you require drugs in order to escape from real life, then you are certainly useless as a soldier and as a human being.

You want to see some real effects of a mild dosage of LSD on professional soldiers? Look at this:

http://www.kontraband.com/show/popup.asp?ID=1160&TTVAL=2

It shows British soldiers being tested with LSD, and within less than 30 minutes, they became completely useless and couldn't even follow or give the simplest of commands.

In any case, no matter how you attempt to justify your activities, you are a criminal, and it would be a complete loss to the CF in general is they allowed someone such as yourself to get into the military. If you don't have the mental fortitude to stay away from illegal, mind altering activities, then you will not have the mental fortitude to deal with the stresses of being a soldier.

Also, doing drugs does not count as "experiencing what life has to offer". Doing drugs is for people who can't handle the reality of what life has to offer, and needs a form of escape, because they are so weak that they cannot handle the reality of their situation.

combat_medic said:
It alters your DNA and can cause such severe mental disorders with repeated use such as schizophrenia or severe depression. Flashbacks, while only occuring in a minority of users, can happen up to two years and beyond after the last intake of the drug.

Can you point me to a MEDICAL or SCIENTIFIC study that explains how DNA changes when a person consumes a chemical??

IF that were true, a person could change thier DNA several times, thus theoretically covering his tracks from criminal accountability.   From the research i've read on DNA, it can't "naturally" be altered, "naturally" meaning without taking it into a lab and with several different complexe processes.   The exception to this are human stem cells.  

SO IT APPEARS AGAIN.........that we have yet another type of scare tactic, though i'm not saying you're the proprietor of it, just that you clearly got it from somewhere.

ALSO, NO ONE has said it's acceptable to consume drugs while on duty, same as alcohol.

This thread is going nowhere...a mod should lock this up as nbk and badapple are f**king retarded.

Take a walk down east hastings in Vancouver and try and tell me that it's the people behind the hash/crack pipe who are the real perpetrators, not the drug itself. These people just made some bad choices and it's there own fault for getting hooked right?  I realise personal choice of course has something to do with it but to negate any blame on the drugs as well is ridiculous. they should have known that it's only weed right?

You obviously have no clue about life experience and what goes on around you. Smoking weed is OK but selling drugs are illegal which you don't advocate?? ...somewhat of a dichotomy to me. Who the f*ck do you think profits from the sale of so-called drugs? I'm sure it's not just your gay dealer who's making a buck off your foolish ways, it goes up the line in to violence and organized crime...which of course you don't support in any way right? But who cares, it's just weed after all.

nbk I truly hope your call never comes, and if it does, i hope you have the the balls to be as vocal about your opinions with your fellow soldiers as you do spouting your rants here. I have a feeling though you'd be saying about as much as your worth, nothing.

nbk, when it comes to educating myself, or others, about drugs, I will stick to the "after school specials" rather than the masses who enjoy expanding their minds, thank you.

I applaud your honesty, I did before, if the recruiters are happy with that then the case is closed. My questions of you were asked because you are only 19 and made it sound to me that you had been doing drugs for years. I did not mean to imply that you are a raving crack fiend, not at all.

I have no issues with a person choosing to do drugs on their own time and far away from me as it is my personal choice NOT to do them. But I do take exception to people reporting to work high or drunk for that matter, that's been covered.

I firmly believe that there are certain occupations that require a person to be drug free, enough said, I have argued the merits of it before and do not feel like wasting bandwith doing it again.

I am curious as to where you get your facts from about drugs not being "that bad" for you.

NBK,Badapple et al,
Please, do not even think to give me a lecture on whether drugs are harmful or not, even in small amounts.
Come spend just 20 minutes with me tonight and we'll do a little tour of where I am spending the next 11 hours and 15 minutes. :crybaby:  Come see those who also thought that "I can do it" and see what has become of them.
I didn't get this from a book or a website ,[ I thought just like you do] I get this from what I KNOW after 16 years of seeing this day in-day out.
You may be right about the "small  controlled dosages" but there in lays the problem, you may be wrong also.
What the majority are trying to tell you is they don't want you next to them if, and when, your wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back