• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I'm completely and utterly on the side of the CF with regards to it's drug policy. However, to me, in my very own personal opinion, marijuana is no worse than any alcoholic beverage that you can legally buy off a shelf or out of a cooler at a store. I've seen first hand the effects of alcoholism. That being said, drugs are stupid, using alcohol to get drunk is on par with the the drugs are stupid bit.

Piccillo said:
...the CF is goin to tell me how to judge people who smoke a little pot now and then? thanks, but no thanks. the CF can do alot of things, but thats one thing it cannot. the people who do smoke it, arnt joining the army....so they dont need to worry about the CF drug policy :p

Got news for you, you have to sign a paper saying that you agree with the Drug Policy, and if you go back on your signature, your agreement to that, you're in deep sh** buddy. If you decide you do NOT want to sign it, they decide that they do NOT want you in the Canadian Forces.

A guy here on base (will not elude to who so plz no one in Shilo ask me) got caught with dope and meth. The first time I believe, it was dope. He was councelled, warned, placed on probation and CB'ed and had to attend some sort of drug program.

He was caught with meth the second time, and came within a hairs width of being kicked out of the Forces and being left to fend for himself. After much, much begging, negotiations, proceedings/hearings later, the CF decided to keep him, but he came so close to going that he had his bags packed ready to return to live with his parents.

Personally I think the CF should have booted him, but I am also unaware of the consequences for his second infraction. I would imagine it's something incredibly steep since I haven't heard anything more about him since.

Shilo, is very backward and IMO could be run way better - and there is a known drug problem on base which contributes to people getting let off easier as it's not an isolated event. That being said, if he came that close to getting tossed out here, I strongly doubt any normal base would have tolerated his crap half as long as it was here.

ok let me refrain what i said, since you all seem to have ... thought wrong i suppose.

i dont do pot anymore, nor will i ever do pot ever again. people wont do it around me, because i ask them not to, and if they start to, i leave. if they DO smoke pot, i dont care too much, i just ask they dont talk about it, or do it around me.

maybe you can understand a bit better my stance. and i understand the CF's stance on drugs without even looking at it...no drugs.

if they DO smoke pot, i dont care too much, i just ask they dont talk about it, or do it around me.

I still don't think you get it.  You can't have that attitude in the CF.  If you see it or hear of it you have to report it.  You just can't ignore it just because you aren't doing it yourself.  Personally, I think you should find another career path.

..noone will ever, for any reason ever...EVER tell me who i can and cannot talk to. and for the record, most of the people i see smoking pot..are poliec officers..thus...who exactly am i going to report it to? ill just piss off a bunch of cops.

Piccillo said:
..noone will ever, for any reason ever...EVER tell me who i can and cannot talk to. and for the record, most of the people i see smoking pot..are poliec officers..thus...who exactly am i going to report it to? ill just piss off a bunch of cops.

... Don't join the CF. People like you think like that and associate with their friends who are in biker gangs and they suffer the consequences for it.

Okay, slow the wagon down here, folks.   Let's untwist this knot of issues and sort this out:

2332Piper said:
I DO judge people who smoke pot. Why? Because pot makes you weak, it makes you stupid and it makes you act like a moron.

Okay, regardless of someone's views on marijuana, this statement is just dumb - it is like saying "I DO judge people who smoke potdrink alcohol. Why? Because pot makes you weak, it makes you stupid and it makes you act like a moron."   Stating that every person who partakes in smoking marijuana is a weakminded stoner is akin to believing that everyone that cracks a beer is a raving alcoholic.

Plenty of people use marijuana and get along fine in life.   Check out the MacLean's article on the passing of Canada's pre-eminent author, Pierre Burton, an admitted "chronic".   I doubt you'd consider Vimy to be the work of a weak, stupid moron.

State your case, but don't use misleading rhetoric to do so.

Tell the families of those RCMP officers killed at that farm in Alberta that it really is ok to smoke pot, who does it affect anyways?

Red herring - they weren't killed because they were involved in a drug raid, they were killed because they were dealing with a lunatic who would have killed them if they came to serve him with a subpoena.   Not saying that the police effort to combat the drug industry isn't inherently dangerous, but using the tragedy of Mayerthorpe in this light is wrong - like the issue above, it is misleading rhetoric that obfuscates facts for appeal to emotion.

Now, political issues of marijuana aside (and there are compelling issues on both sides of the argument), lets get to the crux of this argument, the CF Policy on Drug Use (yes, this include Marijuana, Mr Piccillo).   Here you have it:

http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/019-21_e.asp

5.      Because of the implications on operational readiness, safety of both
members and the public, security, discipline, reliability, cohesion and
morale, it is CF policy that any unauthorized use or other illegal
involvement with drugs by CF members
will not be tolerated. The Canadian
Forces Drug Control Program has been established under QR&O, Chapter 20
as a comprehensive instrument to combat unauthorized use and other illegal
involvement with drugs. The essential elements of the program are
education, detection, treatment and rehabilitation.

Now, notice the part I highlighted for you - other illegal activities; when you sign the Zero-Tolerance this is made very clear to you.   You can't be around this stuff because if you are, the shadow of suspicion will be cast upon your own conduct.   Regardless of your personal views of other people using marijuana, the above is an ethical and professional obligation for you as a Soldier to obey.   Don't, and your ass will be in the sling - you can read all about what can and will happen in the link I provided above.   Tolerating other soldiers doing it is as bad as doing it yourself, because they are also professionally obligated to this policy, and you are failing everyone else by allowing them to continue - as the RCR says, "Never Pass a Fault".

Remember, your obligations as a Soldier (which you both sign and swear to), which are underlined by those above principles of readiness, security, discipline, reliability, cohesion and morale, override your civilian rights to be soft around the gray areas of the law.   Until the CF Policy changes, you will be beholden to this - if you don't like the sounds of this, then perhaps you should take Kincanucks suggestion and find another line of work.

You know Super Troopers wasn't a documentary.

But really now I'm interested in this comment, exactly which service are these police officers with. I know with Edmonton Police Service I don't know a single police officer that smokes pot, with the RCMP I don't know, and haven't seen a single member who smokes pot out in my area. As well if any police officers are smoking or drinking while on duty then they should be reported to their superiors and dealed with accordingly.

Quote,
and for the record, most of the people i see smoking pot..are poliec officers..thus...who exactly am i going to report it to? ill just piss off a bunch of cops.

...and what makes you think you haven't already? ;)

Masn, everyone in the CF seems.....very eager to loose potential recruits. I tell people not to smoke pot around me, and if they start to, I leave. by "people" i dont mean other soldiers, I mean friends and mostly..family. I cannot stop being around my family because I live with them. The Police officers are either OPP or local police officers. and many are TTC cops in toronto.

EVery time i have come to these forums regarding this issue, I am mostly met with the same general reaction which generally is "Get out, we dont want you, your worthless"

I fully intend to join the canadian armed forces, To be a member of our infantry, and to fight for our country. I plan to do it for the rest of my life. It just sucks that the people im around are going to have such a major impact on my success in my carrer. SO MANY people smoke pot in my city, i would ballpark the number at about 80% of people aged 15+ so its not exactly easy to get away from. I just tell them all drugs are bad and walk away.

Somehow, you have all gotten the idea that I like drugs. That i plan to do them, That i condone their use and that I even encourage it. This is all wrong. I hate drugs, what little I have done have totally ruined my life up to this point. People who are under the influence of drugs are totally impossible to work with and to be around. If i could get away, I would. with almost all drugs, its quite easy to avoid it, to get away from people with it. but with a drug as far spread and common place as weed, its a serious challenge and I refuse to lock myself up in my house and become a hermit because some people might not like my chances out there.

Now, Picture this...last year i went down to my local CFRC and talked with people, did the CFAT and the interview, and was politely turned away untill 2007. I accepted it and walked out. since then however, People on these forums (and I hold your opinion in high regard) Have been telling me to just "give up" (somthing I never do) and even to join other armys in the world (such as the american and british) simply because they are more forgiving when it comes to drugs.

How encouraged am I now to join an army full of people who seem to think of me as less then nothing. A lesser man would stop trying and just give up on the CF.

When im in the shit in iraq, or any other future hot-spot saving my buddys ASS out there, Im going to remember you all and smile ^.^

Feel free to pick apart this post, and find anything and everything you can to use as dirt upon me. The post..although still on topic is about to erupt in a flame war that i rather not have the admins be forced to deal with. If you have anything to say to me, good or bad...PM it to me. If you have any advice that may help me (aside from telling me to give up) Post it here. I might just happen to check it.

Before all hell breaks loose...

Picollo earlier in the topic you reffered to a surgery you were going to have, is it an orthaganic surgery? and when you mentioned it to CFRC did they say it would have an enrollment factor if it was done?

-Usman

i actually havnt even thought about it effecting my enrollment, its pretty minor simple surgury. its jaw correction surgury. My lower jaw is too small, thus i have an overbite. So they are going to correct it with braces and surgury. There is going to be a period of 2 months where i wont be able to eat or talk much. but after that I think everything should be OK. I am going to ask the surgon about it, and anything about it effecting my enrollment. if its going to hinder my process ill just tell him i dont want it..i dont care too much about my jaw being half an inch smaller then the top one :p

I was just asking because i am in a very similar situation, i was rejected for asthma that i dont have and this surgery. I called the Med Staff in Borden( They actually picked up  ;D) and they said you can either have the surgery and enroll after or not have the surgery and enroll now. So im thinking that parts safe then. But i would recomend you have the surgery because the prognosis of the situation is not so healthy.

-Usman

Seems like the point hit loud and clear with you about drugs.. I guess now you're 100% clear on the issue huh?

BTW .. if you join the Canadian military, don't expect to be in Iraq.. we aren't involved with the war.

i thought we had recently sent ~40 troops to train the iraqi army..........maybe i was wrong.

We're not talking about hanging out with the kid your parents hate. This is a policy of the CF. If you need it explained to you what happens when you thumb your nose at CF policies then you probably should be signing up at the nearest Mickey D's because they probably don't care who you hang around with or what your family smokes in their pipes.

Piccillo said:
EVery time i have come to these forums regarding this issue, I am mostly met with the same general reaction which generally is "Get out, we dont want you, your worthless"

Maybe it's because when you come to these forums regarding this issue, you are not understanding that, unlike your Mom and Dad's rules,  the CF rules are enforced whether you like it or not. I think at the beginnning of this thread, people were sympathetic to you. It was once you posted the wee hissy fit
Piccillo said:
..noone will ever, for any reason ever...EVER tell me who i can and cannot talk to.
that seems to have turned the tide.

Piccillo said:
I fully intend to join the canadian armed forces, To be a member of our infantry, and to fight for our country. I plan to do it for the rest of my life. It just sucks that the people im around are going to have such a major impact on my success in my carrer.

It's been said many times on this forum that joining the CF is not a God-given right. So don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen. With your attitude it's very unlikely 2007 is gonna be any better for you.

Piccillo said:
How encouraged am I now to join an army full of people who seem to think of me as less then nothing. A lesser man would stop trying and just give up on the CF.

I understand that you are young and probably not in complete control of your environment, but that doesn't excuse you from scoffing at the CF policies. If you become a member of the CF you will be expected to honour those policies and guess what? .....they can tell you who to talk to. I have a feeling you won't have to worry about it though.

The Police officers are either OPP or local police officers. and many are TTC cops in toronto.

Sorry but I find it hard to believe that their are a bunch of police officers in Ontario that smoke pot. If that's the case I wouldn't want to be movingthere any time soon, plus it makes it sound as if Ontario's got some pretty corrupt police services, which I hope it doesn't.

When im in the crap in iraq, or any other future hot-spot saving my buddys *** out there, Im going to remember you all and smile ^.^

Well, sorry to tell you but were not in Iraq.

it dosnt. but some do it. Im not going to bash the police force, becuase i respect them all to much to do that. good guys the lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back