• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look guys, if you want to join the military, you can‘t do drugs. If you do, the old saying "you pays your monies and you takes yer chances" applies. We‘ve been over this before. There‘s been lot‘s of discussion. Do a search. We‘re not here to provide you with an optimum quit date in order to pass your test or show you ways of beating the system. If your serious about changing your life and taking a job with the military, clean your self up before you go to the recruiter, and that doesn‘t mean the day before.
I‘m closing this up.

I am planning on applying to the CF pretty soon but i have smoked pot and also done mushrooms before. Been almost a year since last doing mushrooms and about a month a nd a half since smoking pot (not smoking anymnore by the way). I was wondering if anyone knows if this might affect my chances of getting in. Is there a set amount of time that you need to wait before applying or would I be excluded outright? If anyone has any suggestions or comments they would be most welcome. Thanks for any help.

Cheers

6 months min wait (thats what I was told when I joined 4 years ago) for smoking weed, mushrooms? Don‘t have a clue. Could it effect your chances of getting in, most definitely yes. The CF does not look kindly on people who abuse drugs.

I wouldn‘t call it abuse. More along the lines of tried them out a couple of times with no intention of ever doing them again.

Thanks for the info though.

Well, don‘t bother walking into the recruiting office anytime soon. Drug use as recent as yours brings your ethical standards into questions. Stay clean for another six months and than try.

When I had my interview the Warrent asked how recent my drug use was, I said about 8 months prior. However, I also did say I did it with intentions of never doing it again. I‘m sure they are also looking for people with life experience, thats a life experience I guess

i think you will be fine. they will give you a list of about 150 drugs..... if you are clean and present yourself nice. you should have no problem getting in.

When I had my interview the Warrent asked how recent my drug use was, I said about 8 months prior. However, I also did say I did it with intentions of never doing it again. I‘m sure they are also looking for people with life experience, thats a life experience I guess
They do not exclude people outright for having done drugs in the past, however to think that they consider getting high a valuable life experience is.... silly.

Everyone knows the military policy is 6 months abstinence from marijuana use to be considered for recruitment. There‘s no point trying to explain that you don‘t intend to do it agian, they will still make you wait 6 months.

As for mushrooms, that is more at the discretion of the interviewer. Psilocybin (one of the main active ingredients [along with Psilocin] that gets you high in a magic muchroom) is a psychoactive compound that can have long lasting effects on your brain, including flashbacks, depression, paranoia.

Lol...alright that was a mis-phrase maybe not a valuable life experience. I‘m glad I didn‘t do it marijuana again I‘m sure I would have been told to wait 6 months. Phew

i heard its 3 years since your last hallusine, ie mushrooms.

hey guys, its actually 2 years, When I was 20 I was at the club one night and a guy was goin around putting Ecstesy in peoples drinks. I ended up drinking my beer and that was that. I have always wanted to be a police officer so have never even smoked a joint in my life, just this one incident. Anyways, being an honest individual
I told the Officer doing the interview exactly what happened that night, I had done it a year before the interview and she deffered me for a year. She said it is 2 years min, and possibly complete denial ever in the armed forces. I know that dose happen as well because it happened to one of the guys who was at the same stage in his interview process. He was told not to come back. The armed forces dosnt need people who do drugs, theres so many strong applicants with no past drug history. Sine 22 I reccomend waitomg at least 6 months before applyong or your just goin to be deffered, possibly for much longer. Just keep that in mind before applying.

"theres so many strong applicants with no past drug history"

Seems to me most of the people enquiring about joining have done drugs in the past, according to the posts anyways.

Thanks for the info everyone. Just one other thing: do these times and issues that everyone has quoted apply to both officers and NCM‘s? I will be applying under the DEO and will this cause more issues for me as a result? Thanks again it has been most useful.

Cheers

The fact is that by using drugs you enage in an illegal activity which has a negative effect on your reliability. Obviously if you have an extended period of time without using your reliability increases.

Evidence of drug use is akin to having a criminal record (not a big surprise since it is illegal) and is treated that way by the CF.

That being said the CF recognizes that people make mistakes in their lives and can still be productive members of the CF.

As for officers vs. NCMs I believe the standards are the same but character and reliabilty is looked at more in depth for the officer applicants initially.

I know when i went I was fully honest saying when I started smoking weed, when I stopped and how many times I did it. Last time I did it was August and definatly don‘t want to do it again. I was honest about my underage drinking :confused: but even though I don‘t drink too much. Basically it seemed as though the CF wants to know if you are honest or not, best way is to tell the truth and no lies. :gunner:

I‘ve engaged in underage drinking and I want to be entirely truthful to these guys when I go for my interview. Think I‘ll get busted for telling them?

Underage drinking isn‘t a big deal, I am guessing they expect it. Think its smart to lie to the Canadian forces?

Oh I‘ll definantly tell them, I was just wondering if I would get in trouble for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back