• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

ill ask around

what in regards to css mod 6 are you specifically looking to know?

My understanding of mod 6 was that all trades attended the PLQ (Land) together.  I am being told that now mod 6 will be broken up into Infantry, other Cbt Arms and CSS for mod 6 (all other mods remain the same).  Specifically I am interested in how long the mod 6 is and what PO's are covered to prepare for it.  So dar I have been unable to get more info from anywhere else.

Ill double check when im in at work on wensday and see what I can find out for you

IMHO, Mod 6 should be the same for all trades. Leadership is leadership, no matter what the job. If there is trade specific training reqd to enhance you leadership, then it should be a MOC problem....

I haven't heard anything new about the PLQ.

When I took my Mod 2 in 2003, they were already talking about changing it to CSS vs. Infantry only courses. When I took the Mod 6 that summer, I was told that it would be the last combined arms course. Six months later, I was told again that no more combined PLQs would be offered. Just this month, I was told that it was changing 'really soon'. And yet, still the combined arms courses are being offered, with no changes in sight. I'm getting the impression that it's all talk.

I have a buddy who is infantry and he has been told that for his Mod 6 they will be merging the infantry DP2B course into the Mod6 to create an Infantry PLQ Mod 6.  Apparently he has been told it includes a bunch of new stuff like FIBUA etc.  According to what he has been told there will be no other trades on the course and CSS will be attending their own PLQ.  I have not seen course briques for next summer yet so I am not sure but I have been told this by several people who I would deem to be in the know.

I have no doubt that you heard it from a reliable source. My Platoon WO on my Mod 6 told me (in 2003) that our Mod 6 would be the last combined one. In late 2003, an Ops O told me that the summer of 2004 would offer the ISCC again for the Infantry, and still nothing has happened. I'm not trying to dispute the validity of your sources, but I've been hearing the same thing for a couple years from other people who are supposedly "in the know".

Why do we insist on changing the format every two years?

The content for PLQ mod 6 was changed about a year ago, but some Areas/Bde's may not feel like running 2 different courses.  The Reg F CSS/CS do the CF-PLQ, and the Reg F CA (and maybe the engineers) do the PLQ-Land.  The Reserves do the PLQ-Land.  As indicated above, the INF is supposed to do their own PLQ-INF.  It was the same way for the JNCO crse- one was CSS, one was INF.

I'm not well informed on the PLQ-INF, so I'll leave that one alone.  The CF-PLQ is basically the old JLC, which included drill, knowledge and skill lessons, as well as small party tasks.  In addition to this, the PLQ-L includes Army leadership, such as leading patrols, def routine, and quick attacks.

Mod 6 is 6 weeks long, approx. approx. 2 1/2 - 3 weeks death by powerpoint, approx. 2 weeks in the field and 1 week of admin.

The field portion is as follows: 2 days small party taskings, 2 days Nav Ex, 4 days Patrolling, 4 Days Section Attacks and Defensive.

Still very heavily based on the Infantry. I to have heard they are messing with the MOD 6 and seperating trades. Would make sence as section attacks and defensive in depth (as on MOD 6) are "almost" pointless to me in my trade.

Yes section attacks are a great leadership building tool, but there are other ways to do that, example...crew commanding.

apparantley the changes will be occuring soon they just haven't given a date to when thats going to happen

With all of the leadership courses changing and getting much less damanding all the soldier that are passing
with ease.  It stated 10 years ago and now its starting to hurt us

pro patria said:
With all of the leadership courses changing and getting much less damanding all the soldier that are passing
with ease.  It stated 10 years ago and now its starting to hurt us

I hear you don't even have to be able to express yourself well in written communication to be an NCO these days.  Can you shed any light on that for us?

Military correspondance is (re)taught on Mod 5.  Unfortunately it is during the 10 days of Computer based learning, most guys on my crse just scimmed through and hit the fwd link to make it look like we work working.  I saw more games of solitare played in those ten days then any time in my carreer.  A lot of time was also spent "Catching up with foreign and domestic affairs" (Canada Kicks Ass site) and ensuring the economic security of Tim Hortons.

Love793 said:
Military correspondance is (re)taught on Mod 5.  Unfortunately it is during the 10 days of Computer based learning, most guys on my crse just scimmed through and hit the fwd link to make it look like we work working.  I saw more games of solitare played in those ten days then any time in my carreer.  A lot of time was also spent "Catching up with foreign and domestic affairs" (Canada Kicks Ass site) and ensuring the economic security of Tim Hortons.

I also hear that NCOs don't have to be able to recognize irony these days; I wonder if that was taught on Mod 5?

I have to agree that the leadership course has become less effective in that weekends are now off(limits the abillity to instill stressfull environment), weapon drill is no longer taught, a candidate only needs to know how to form a basic formation etc.Although alot of the changes were for the good, in the end IMHO the quality of some future leaders coming off a recent course is reflected by their actions when put into stressful environments.

I hear you don't even have to be able to express yourself well in written communication to be an NCO these days.  Can you shed any light on that for us?

I also hear that NCOs don't have to be able to recognize irony these days; I wonder if that was taught on Mod 5?

Laugh My Aise Off (It was so good I had to write it out complete!!!)  Michael dude you have sussed it out man.

this thread should be locked, this is too much like the other of yer posts, pro patria.  Are your really in earnest, or are you trying to see how far you get?

tess

Post topic get slammed, I have spent the last 12 years inst in INF School, Meaford, and Petawawa. My observation is what i stated before. This is with eyes on the ground not in the sky.

I hear you don't have to take the field portion if you're on the CF PLQ. And they're applying new changes yet again so that support trades don't have to do field portion of PLQ as well.

Back