• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary reserves

Lebanese Canadian

Inactive
Reaction score
Im wondering if you are in the primary reserves, you are not obliged to be sent to any foriegn country unless you voluntarily agree to go am I right?

Also if you are in the reserves and you want to quit, can you quit or are you obliged to stay for x amount of years?

A little search would have answered you question.

Its a volunteer option

You can leave, no contract.

man I cant keep searching, I had a question concerning the security clearance and it took me 3 hours and still I didnt find an answer and each time I mention it in my posts it gets deleted.

Lebanese Canadian said:
man I cant keep searching, I had a question concerning the security clearance and it took me 3 hours and still I didnt find an answer and each time I mention it in my posts it gets deleted.

::)

You really aren't helping your case much by admitting that you don't want to use the SEARCH function to find the answers.  You have been here three years and should have read about most of the questions you are asking, as they have been asked and answered many times during your time here.  Do you wonder why people may have become a little annoyed at you not paying attention?

I suggest a read of the National Defence Act to determine the legal obligations of a member of the Reserve Force.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowFullDoc/cs/N-5///en

For example,

23. (1) The enrolment of a person binds the person to serve in the Canadian Forces until the person is, in accordance with regulations, lawfully released.

30. (1) Except during an emergency, an officer or non-commissioned member who is not on active service is entitled to be released at the expiration of the term of service for which the officer or non-commissioned member is enrolled or re-engaged.

33. (2) The reserve force, all units and other elements thereof and all officers and non-commissioned members thereof
(a) may be ordered to train for such periods as are prescribed in regulations made by the Governor in Council; and

(b) may be called out on service to perform any lawful duty other than training at such times and in such manner as by regulations or otherwise are prescribed by the Governor in Council.

294. (1) Every officer or non-commissioned member of the reserve force who without lawful excuse neglects or refuses to attend any parade or training at the place and hour appointed therefor is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction for each offence, if an officer, to a fine not exceeding fifty dollars and, if a non-commissioned member, to a fine not exceeding twenty-five dollars.

(2) Absence from any parade or training referred to in subsection (1) is, in respect of each day on which the absence occurs, a separate offence.

... and that's just a quick perusal.  There are also the Queen's Regulations and Orders for the Canadian Forces which provide more details on your obligations once a member of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums. I swear to you all I have UTFSEd, but I can't seem to find a straight answer. For instance, in this thread, dapaterson and mysteriousmind seem to contradict each other. In this thread:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17456.0.html

Nobody seemed to answer the OP's original question.

This thread was very useful:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32962.0.html

But I still have a couple questions/uncertainties.

I'm a 21 year old student. I'm majoring in economics and philosophy, and plan on attending law school once I finish my undergraduate degree.

I have met people in the reserves, and they seem to think of it as a summer job. I don't know how accurate this is. If I did join, it would definately mess with my education plans if I got sent off to Kabul or Bosnia or someplace. So barring a major defensive war, would a reservist be required to deploy?

It seems like it's hinted at on the government sites that you don't have to deploy if you don't want to, but I can't see it stated explicitly anywhere. And my friends all tell me that recruiters will say anything they think will make you join.

I've read that int'l deployments are optional. But I've also read that people in the Supplementary Reserve can be called up by a Parliamentary order. Is this legislation required to make (read: non-voluntarily) reserve units deploy? Or is there a lower threshold for mandatory deployment?

There is an infantry unit where I live, and I would love to join. I would love the challenge, and have a definate interest in small section-level tactics. But I want to make sure I'm not locking myself into anything I'll seriously regret down the road.

Also, I've read that if you want to sign up for summer training, you should do it in the spring. Is there a cut-off date? Are they constantly starting training, or is there certain days that new classes begin, with a set exit time? How can I find the applicable dates? The thing is, I've been planning a vacation with friends for some time now, and I've locked myself in for August. I've already spent money on it I've been saving for years (10 grand!- we're going to climb Kilamunjaro). I know it sounds kind of stupid to say "will training get in the way of my holiday?", but $10,000 isn't amount a student can take lightly.

OK,

I understand your desire to explore your commitment before you join and would agree that you must count the costs before making a decision. At the same time, it appears that you might be looking too hard at how you can get out of your commitments prior to joining.....

To answer your question, an act of parliament is required before you are forced to be deployed as a reservist. I am trying to be patient and moderate my response and please take it for what it is.

There are enough people who dodge resposibility on a routine basis for your post to cause me some concern. Joining the army is a big responsibility not to be taken lightly. There are other ways to have your interests in section tactics and challenge met ie paintball or an extreme sport. The reserves will take your time and you will be prompted to serve overseas. You have to figure out why you would want to join in more depth, in my opinion. If you put a uniform on and swear allegiance and learn to use a weapon, you need to be willing to do the deed.

This is not intended as a flame. I think your right to explore all this now before as you say, you chooose a path that you might regret.

Best regards and good luck on your decision

Kilamunjaro WOW! You are NOT required to go on tours. You MUST volunteer and also you MUST be chosen (not always a given but these days its likely).

Typically BMQ's run through the school year on weekends and also in the summer for about 4 weeks. If you have all paperwork done and ready to go expect within 4-6 weeks to have completed interview, aptitude tests, medical and hopefully be enrolled in a reserve unit. In the summer it is immediately before an SQ which takes you to hte 3rd week of aug. Well at least in LFCA (ontario) they have a big reserve exercise hte last week of august so you might be able to get excused from that. SO this means that unless you get permission not to go on obviously an important course (SQ) then your stuck doing training. If it were me i would wait until you get back apply and start trainging that winter. And winter BMQ is always better at least in Ontario, this is where you find out if you have the stones for the army. Because the possibility your on a range at -40 in an open field with the wind howling is pretty good. lol. Good luck.

oh and thats for NCM training. IMO reserve NCM is the shit i loved every minute of it. Even the times I hated it i loved it (if thats possible)

Lebanese Canadian said:
Im wondering if you are in the primary reserves, you are not obliged to be sent to any foriegn country unless you voluntarily agree to go am I right?

Also if you are in the reserves and you want to quit, can you quit or are you obliged to stay for x amount of years?

if you are on class A part time service, you have to volunteer for overseas service AND qualify in pre deployment training before being sent.

Reserves have an indefinite enrollment period......

IF you are in a course... (Lets say BMQ) and you decide that the Army way is not your way. you will have to tell your section commander that you want to leave.

Of course they will try to motivate you to continue on, but it his YOUR decision and if you want to leave...then be it.

You choose to do class A or B, but, you have to apply on it...and it is like any job. You need to have the qualifications to the job requirement, and of course there is a selection process.  but if you are available to do lets say 2-3 days of A class, and you are at a unit that has such position available. then cool.

At the unit I am joining, some one who did not do her trade course got offered a B class contract in her trade, not qualified, she learned allot.

In June, they know that she will have to do her trade course. and after her 8 week course, she will resume her B class contract. all of that is that is because she wanted it

Back