• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prime Minister questioned about expenses

Altair said:
Okay, I'll flip this to you then.

What do you think are going to be the major issues for those on the left under 35?

Remembering it was the young, left vote that abandoned the NDP, flocked to the liberals, and came out in numbers not seen in decades that propelled the Liberals into power, and assuming they remain just as engaged for 2019, what issues are going to be at the top of their list?

As stated above, in the 18-35 there is a huge gap in perspective. For the 18-22 year old drug legalization may be their big driver when it comes to votes, but I'm willing to bet many 30-35 year old's are more worried about what is in their bank account at the end of the month. Add to the age differences the apparent disappointment on the left with the Liberals on the topics of pot and electoral reform, and you may see a split in left votes that leads to the Conservatives taking power again.

I know your question wasn't directed at me but, I think the carbon tax, the economy, potential losses in Mali, and Canada-USA relations will be the big issues next election. I don't think pot will even be brought up, once that genie is out of the bottle there is no putting in back in that isn't costly in both money and political capital.

As a soon to be card carrying member of the federal Conservative party I think the we have lots that we can present as positive well thought out alternatives to the Liberal platform and accomplishments of the past mandate.

But we have to shed the social conservative aura that the left will push and come to grips with the fact that country is settled on LGBTQ+ rights, abortion and pot and full on support them.  We need to demonstrate that Canadian conservatism is centrist and not the extreme right. 

We need to strike on Liberal failures, like spending, electoral reform, foreign affairs, defence, veterans issues and ethics. 

This  smattering of spending will haunt the Liberals IMHO.

Altair said:
The next election is a fight between those who don't want a carbon tax and those who don't want the CPC to touch legal pot.
Pot will be a done deal by 2019, so the Lib/NDP issue will be what the trade war has done to the price of Doritos.  :panic:

Doritos head office (PepsiCo) is in a strong Democrat district;  that, plus the clear  linkage to evil, druggie culture will make them an obvious target.

On a more serious note....
Halifax Tar said:
But we have to shed the social conservative aura that the left will push and come to grips with the fact that country is settled on LGBTQ+ rights, abortion and pot and full on support them.  We need to demonstrate that Canadian conservatism is centrist and not the extreme right.
I sincerely wish you the best of luck.  I know dues-paying party members from both Red and Blue;  both tell similar stories of how they're 'obligated' to appeal to the extremes, while claiming to personally know better.

I wish someone  would reclaim the centre!

Halifax Tar said:

We need to strike on Liberal failures, like spending, electoral reform, foreign affairs, defence, veterans issues and ethics. 

So what were the Conservative successes on defence?  Other than using DND in year spending as a means to balance the budget?

PPCLI Guy said:
So what were the Conservative successes on defence?  Other than using DND in year spending as a means to balance the budget?

I don't trust anyone with defence.  I will not be voting on what any party promises on that front since I won't be believing them either way.  Liberals, Conservatives or NDP. I was let down by the conservatives on that one too many times.

Journeyman said:
Pot will be a done deal by 2019, so the Lib/NDP issue will be what the trade war has done to the price of Doritos.  :panic:

[size=9pt]Doritos head office (PepsiCo) is in a strong Democrat district;  that, plus the clear  linkage to evil, druggie culture will make them an obvious target[/

Buy the stock!!! They are on an upswing!!!! https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/pep

The grope story spreads across other major media:

http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/macdougall-trudeaus-answer-to-old-groping-allegation-puts-lie-to-feminist-bona-fides

MacDougall: Trudeau's answer to old 'groping' allegation puts lie to 'feminist' bona fides

Andrew MacDougall Updated: June 27, 2018

But what does the feminist prime minister have to say about it now? We don’t know. To date, no reporter has seemingly asked Trudeau directly. The best we have is a statement from his office:

“(The prime minister) remembers being in Creston for the Avalanche Foundation but doesn’t think he had any negative interactions there.”

Yikes. I’ve written enough statements to know this exquisite serving of fudge from Trudeau’s office was crafted with lawyerly precision. “Doesn’t think” and “negative interactions” aren’t the confident words of a feminist hero. They’re weasel words meant to dull a story into going away.

There can’t be one standard for Trudeau and another for everyone else. Not on this question, not when the Prime Minister is the poster child for global feminism. We can’t have a do-as-I-say-not-as-I-allegedly-do “feminist” prime minister.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-the-prime-minister-has-to-say-something-about-groping-accusation-and-yet-what-can-he-say

Andrew Coyne: Trudeau has to say something about groping accusation. Yet what can he say?

Andrew Coyne June 27, 2018 9:41 PM EDT

He has to say something, and he has to say it himself - he can’t just leave it to his media relations people. Yet what can he say? If he says flat out that it never happened, any of it, he risks being accused of victim-shaming: it was, after all, this prime minister who admonished the public that we should believe all such accusations.

On the other hand, if he acknowledges even having had an unpleasant confrontation with the reporter, never mind the misconduct of which he is accused, he admits that the story his office has been repeating for the past few weeks, that he “doesn’t think” there were any “negative interactions,” is a lie - unless he only just recalled it.

If he confessed “I did it. It was a fleeting moment of madness for which I apologized at the time, and which I regret today,” that would not be the worst thing in the world, assuming no other cases emerged. Except that, having famously established, with great fanfare, a zero tolerance policy for his party and himself in such matters, with no statute of limitations, he would then have to explain why he should not have to pay the same price that others have had to pay for similar offences.

There are two issues here, in sum. There is the matter of what went on between two people in a small town in B.C. in August of 2000. And there is the prime minister’s continuing refusal to address it, and the many reasons why this might be so.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/joe-oliver-groping-allegations-snare-justin-trudeau-in-a-trap-he-created-himself

Joe Oliver: Groping allegations snare Justin Trudeau in a trap he created himself

Joe Oliver June 29, 2018 3:41 PM EDT

Now that his statements have returned home to roost, Canadians are entitled to expect the prime minister to honour his words. The fact he occupies the highest office in the country is not a defence. To the contrary, he should be held to at least as high a standard as he and others demand of all elected officials. To excuse the prime minister, of all people, in the current environment, especially in the light of his self-righteous pronouncements, would be a glaring double standard.

If he is guilty, Trudeau should come clean and apologize for his inappropriate behaviour. If he’s innocent, he should deny the allegation but apologize for his rush to judgment of others who were swiftly punished without due process.

Unfortunately, an admission could severely damage his credibility, while a denial would be construed as calling his accuser a liar. And yet, as long as he stays silent, hoping it will go away, he will be seen as abdicating his moral leadership as Canada’s first feminist prime minister on the extraordinarily prominent issue of sexual harassment. This will not end well for him as the media pursues the story, as they must.

And even the Liberal-friendly Toronto Star as well:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/06/28/on-groping-allegation-trudeau-ducks-the-rules-he-set.html

On groping allegation, Trudeau ducks the rules he set

By Tim Harper National Affairs Columnist

Thu., June 28, 2018

Right now, we are left with a ‘she said, he said,’ 18 years later.

She has the right to remain silent.

He is the prime minister, a self-styled feminist who has acted decisively and quickly when other such allegations have been raised about caucus and cabinet ministers.

He owes the country more clarity than a statement from his office.

It comes with the job.

And because it’s 2018.

[quote author=Loachman]

Trudeau ducks the rules he set
[/quote]

Just like he does with ethics.

PPCLI Guy said:

Anyone?  Buehler?

although not nearly what was promised, the conservatives delivered C17's, Chinooks, started developing an Arctic refuelling port, initiated the construction of the AOR's, ordered the Asterix, and that is just off the top of my head.

YZT580 said:
although not nearly what was promised, the conservatives delivered C17's, Chinooks, started developing an Arctic refuelling port, initiated the construction of the AOR's, ordered the Asterix, and that is just off the top of my head.

That list doesn't even include IORs of the RG31, Leopard 2 lease and purchase, proper EOD vehicles in the EROC package.

PPCLI Guy said:
Anyone?  Buehler?

M777s, Leo 2s, C17s, MV Asterix, AOPS Ships.  Thats a good list I think.

Sorry at thr camp.  Dont have a great connection or I would have replied sooner.

Another day another conflict of interest ethics breach by the liberal government.

Liberal Minister Broke Conflict of Interest Rules, Ethics Commissioner Says
https://thenectarine.ca/business/liberal-minister-broke-conflict-of-interest-rules-ethics-commissioner-says/

Halifax Tar said:
M777s, Leo 2s, C17s, MV Asterix, AOPS Ships.  Thats a good list I think.

Sorry at thr camp.  Dont have a great connection or I would have replied sooner.

M777, Leopard 2, contract for the LAV 6.0, contract for the TAPV, contract for 1000+ new trucks, new proper EROC vehicles, 17x C-130J Super Hercs, 5x C-17, MV Asterix, 15x CH-147F Chinooks...just what I can think of.  Probably several smaller projects also.  (Theatre specific projects for Afghanistan)

Not all good.  Took away the mortars & replaced with the AGL - not sure if that could be pinned on the Conservative political party or DND leadership.  (Something tells me DND leadership says "We need X number of dollars to replace this capability."  And the political powers at be eventually say "Okay."  I don't think any specific politician cared whether we replaced old mortars with new mortars, or replaced old mortars with the AGL....but I'm not certain.)

CBH99 said:
M777, Leopard 2, contract for the LAV 6.0, contract for the TAPV, contract for 1000+ new trucks, new proper EROC vehicles, 17x C-130J Super Hercs, 5x C-17, MV Asterix, 15x CH-147F Chinooks...just what I can think of.  Probably several smaller projects also.  (Theatre specific projects for Afghanistan)

Not all good.  Took away the mortars & replaced with the AGL - not sure if that could be pinned on the Conservative political party or DND leadership.  (Something tells me DND leadership says "We need X number of dollars to replace this capability."  And the political powers at be eventually say "Okay."  I don't think any specific politician cared whether we replaced old mortars with new mortars, or replaced old mortars with the AGL....but I'm not certain.)

People often blame politicians for decisions made by senior managers in the PS or Senior leadership in the DND. An example is the closure of Kits CCG SAR station, a management decision, not a political one. I do blame the politicians for the piss-poor handling of the backlash for that decision.     

Jarnhamar said:
Another day another conflict of interest ethics breach by the liberal government.

In all fairness, it would seem that once a possibly ethics breach was brought to the attention of the appropriate people - the license was cancelled, and the minister responsible for awarding it was moved out of that department.

The system seems to have caught the error & corrected it.  I'm not sure how much of that specific situation can be pinned on the PM. 

Brihard said:
We should accept that the existence of a job like Prime Minister will come with ancillary costs, including taking care of a family that is wholly chained to that one family members role as head of government.

I guess if we aren’t willing to pay for quality leaders, we will have to settle for someone with less experience than a substitute drama teacher. I can empathize with anyone facing the costs of taking care of a family, but the guy come from a wealthy family, has $35 million , makes $200k with a lifetime pension in four years. For comparison, Donald  Trump agreed to be president for $1 per year. Trudeau was PM for barely 2 years and he got to charge a $200k vacation to tax payers? That’s more than his yearly salary, maybe he could wait 4 years and then go to Bermuda on his own dime.

CBH99 said:
In all fairness, it would seem that once a possibly ethics breach was brought to the attention of the appropriate people - the license was cancelled, and the minister responsible for awarding it was moved out of that department.

The system seems to have caught the error & corrected it.  I'm not sure how much of that specific situation can be pinned on the PM.

You're right for sure about it being caught.
As for blaming the PM note I used liberal government and not pm specifically, however, with the ethical bed shitting by the prime minister himself it's not hard to imagine why other members are picking up that behavior.

Back