• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

We can only hope that as a few heads begin to swell, even more heads see the problem, and rather then becoming arrogant because of their new posistions, they realise they have to work even harder, striving to follow the principals of leadership, and striving to lead by example...

We should further hope these younger master-corprals, the hard working oness, not the swollen heads, in turn become younger sergeants, younger warrants, younger MWOs, and younger CWOs... so 15-20 years from now, we have CWOs who are closer to the "reality" of their troops, who've "grown up" in a period where we were actually fighting a war rather then a cold war era, and more importantly who've "grown up" in a period of massive change, so "because that's the way we've always done it" is no longer reasonable justification for ANY decisions... leading to a cultural shift in the forces and proceeding down through the ranks....

We can only hope.

Depends how they conduct themselves....I was, because of my MOS, called a shake'n-bake Sgt. I quickly learned not to stick your nose in areas of expertise you know nothing about, and everything will be fine.

Then they told me the name for it..............................patience.

From what I have experienced, all new Mcpls tend to go thru a period of swolen heads... regardless of peacetime or wartime.  With some decent supervision and mentoring by their platoon WOs the new Mcpls should shake themselves out during the lead up training in Canada.  I am confident that the ones with problems will staff the rear party

Just a Sig Op said:
We should further hope these younger master-corprals, the hard working oness, not the swollen heads, in turn become younger sergeants, younger warrants, younger MWOs, and younger CWOs... so 15-20 years from now, we have CWOs who are closer to the "reality" of their troops, who've "grown up" in a period where we were actually fighting a war rather then a cold war era, and more importantly who've "grown up" in a period of massive change, so "because that's the way we've always done it" is no longer reasonable justification for ANY decisions... leading to a cultural shift in the forces and proceeding down through the ranks....

We can only hope.

Every generation is the same. Once we've moved on to the next war\ action \operation , there'll be guys like you complaining about those 'dinosaur Afghan vets' fighting the last war and 'just not getting it'. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I disagree... most WWII/Korea veterans would have a drastically different outlook on the forces then would a cold war veteran... an operations focused mentality vs a garrison focused mentality... we're operations focused now, and it's counter-acting our garrison mentality of the past many years... hopefully we can keep it...

Siggie....
Each generation of soldier has his good and his bad.  Us cold warriors have had the benefit of developing the techniques that the young 'uns are learning now... and are applying with reckless abandon (sometimes).

Was wondering if infantry work a certain number of hours a week? Would have posted elsewhere but most related threads are locked.

Mosher said:
Was wondering if infantry work a certain number of hours a week? Would have posted elsewhere but most related threads are locked.
They are locked for a reason.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21131.0.html

I have noticed this too in the reserves, privates after one year doing their mod1 to 5 and then mod 6 during all summers and becoming instructors afters 1year and a half.

It seems to me that if those guys are sent on course like that it is because there is a very big need there which is normal to fill in.  But there should be supervisors, or somekinda guy that make sure even though the staff is young and with very little experience, they can still deliver the instructions to the recruits.  I find a little sad though cause there is a huge difference between being a recruit taugh by an experienced guy that really knows what he's talking about and knows how to share it and the recruit that has received the same instructions but maybe has remembered less information, or had his motivation towards the instructor/course go down because of his lack of experience.  Finally it is the recruits that will pay the price but these new instructors aren't to blame they were just sent somewhere a little too fast maybe. Although, with the war and all the tour, you can be a young private and experience a 6 month tour that will give you a very good experience i personnaly think is not comparable to a corporal with 4 years of experience that has not done any tour yet.

Conversely, limited but intense operational experience can undermine the long-term health of the training system.  I have seen very experienced staff parachuted in as augmentees work to apply their experience, sometimes at cross purposes to the Course Training Plan. No doubt it often achieved their personal aim to set a different standard or to "tweak" the content to better match what's happening in the units.  The problem lies in the fact that it is most often a one-shot solution, and those who follow that approach seldom, if ever, document what they've done or use the system to pursue a formal change to the training requirement.  The result is inconsistency in the students' skills from course to course, and a similar dilemma for follow-on instructors who end up trying to do the same things because few, if any, learn that it takes a different set of skills to manage the establishment requirements.

Neither one skill set nor the other used alone is enough, it takes a balance of both and mutual respect for the importance of both current operational and long-term establishments requirements.

Mosher said:
lol

No offense, but if you have to ask that question, you aren't ready to join the infantry.

Its just that ive been told by a cpl that you can only work so many hours and you have to take a certain amount of time off. It seems theres alot of strange hours to be worked in the infantry which i can hack for sure. Was just wondering if what the cpl told me only applied to certain trades?

Edit: Was also wondering what kind of qualifications are needed to become an instructor and how long it could potentially take to reach that goal.

Mosher said:
Its just that ive been told by a cpl that you can only work so many hours and you have to take a certain amount of time off.

You can work as many hours as the CF requires you to work.  However, you do have to use all your annual leave in a given fiscal year with very few exceptions, usually for operational reasons only.

Mosher said:
Was just wondering if what the cpl told me only applied to certain trades?

Aircrews and Truckers are examples of trades where the number of work hours is restricted in some form.

Thank you very much everyone, your answers are much appreciated. And have helped immensely.

OK I have to add my two cents:

1. Life in the Infantry is tough...
2. Don't disregard your MWO/CWOs advice. They've been there, done that and have several T-shirts.
3. Be tactful and diplomatic when required.

GAP said:
I quickly learned not to stick your nose in areas of expertise you know nothing about, and everything will be fine.
A big mistake I used to make. If you want to be unpopular, that's how.  :nod:

Was wondering if infantry work a certain number of hours a week?
Regardless of what trade or element you pick you can expect to work whatever hours a week you are needed to.

In most places such as a unit it's typically 8am-4pm, in normal circumstances.  If you want normal rest during operations or field exercises - especially in combat trades - you are in for a big surprise!

Sometimes, depending on trade, you get shift hours. On fire watch, which is done in the field, you stay up for an hour between your sleep to ensure things are safe and sound (basically a measure against tents burning down on field exes from the Coleman stoves/Lamps).

Some trades such as Truck drivers are legally required to have certain hours of rest for safety reasons. 

Edit: Was also wondering what kind of qualifications are needed to become an instructor and how long it could potentially take to reach that goal.

Besides your environmental and trades qual, it takes advanced qualifications, leadership school and time in.  Basically: Basic, Soldier's, Trades, Leadership, coupled with experience.

Not so much worried about the rest. Worried about having enough time for the wife and kids.

I have been asking alot of questions lately outside of the forum and keep getting the answer, "if you have to ask, your not right for the job" or if you think its all fun and games, your in for a suprise"

I am specifically going infantry because i want to work hard. I like to muscle things around, I can work well with minimal rest, and can usually take whatevers thrown at me.

It's just unfair how people assume when they don't even know you.

Thank you to all for your answers!

Nauticus said:
lol

No offense, but if you have to ask that question, you aren't ready to join the infantry.

Please, elaborate...why is that question an indication of if someone can handle the infantry, or not?

Recruit and Trade training isn't designed to only be a test of your character and ability in your trade, it's there to develop it. Saying someone isn't ready to be in the Infantry before they've even began their training is a moot point, as the system is designed to shape people who aren't infanteers into infanteers.

Back