• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pte. Robert Costall killed in Afghanistan firefight 29 Mar 2006

George Wallace said:
I think you got that backwards.  Most Companies have a clause the voids your insurance, if you are involved in an Act of War, an Act of Terrorism, or a similar Act of violence.

When you read that fine print you will see the added phrase "declared or otherwise" or words to that effect. I used to work for an insurance company and believe me, if we can find a way to avoid paying, we will.

TMM said:
When you read that fine print you will see the added phrase "declared or otherwise" or words to that effect. I used to work for an insurance company and believe me, if we can find a way to avoid paying, we will.

I heard and seen that about insurance companies - reminds me of DVA almost.  ::)

MM

There are a bunch of companies that will cover people in war zones...

Even companies that provide active shooter contributions to OEF/OIF have insurance for their personnel

I still have my SISIP CAR, and I should enquire if it covers me, whilst serving as a dual citizen in another country's army, whilst in a theatre of operations. Bloody hell, I hope it does.

Cheers,

Wes

Christie Blatchford had an article on the cover of the Globe, I believe on Friday. Anyways, in the article she went into extremely graphic detail about Pte. Costall's wounds. The article basically said that the signs were pointing to a friendly fire incident. I think it was irresponsible for two reasons. First, let the military investigate and release its findings first. Second, and more importantly, I think it was highly inappropriate to print in a national newspaper the extent of the soldier's wounds. I'm pretty sure we can all imagine what they would be like, without it being on the front page of the Globe. I hope his family didnt have to see that.

The problem is they make money off of inappropriateness and at other people's expense.  Ironic considering we're paid to defend that right of their's to be complete (add your own expletive)heads.

MM

George, seen, should have re-worded that, thanks for the clarification.

Before we condemn Christie Blatchford too much, I suggest we read her most recent piece in the Globe, in which she responds to Martin's accusation that embedded reporters have "switched sides". She offers a very spirited defense of  the embedded relationship, but more importanly she goes to bat, big time, for Canadian soldiers. She even states words to the effect of : "I would prefer an army corps to the press corps any time".

I think that, based on all of her reportage from Afgh, there is far more good about her than there is bad.

Cheers

I agree whole-heartedly with pbi.

Christie Blatchford believes in you and supports you and is doing you a lot of good.

While reporting details can cause distress it is also what makes her stories so powerful.  I would ask you to look back at some of her other work on non-Army pieces, where she covers crime (often horrendous) and ask yourselves if the same stories can be told as effectively without the details.  She is unfailingly compassionate towards the victims and their families and I don't hesitate to suggest that she considers you lot members of Costall's "family".

"A Fan".

Cheers.

I've found Blachford's reporting to be informative and captivating. Though she may have been disrepectful to the dead with the peace regarding Costall, I haven't found it to be the norm. In any event, it served to highlight the fact that there is no glory in war.

Agreed, Couchcommander.  As someone once said, there is no such thing as "bad" press (Somalia notwithstanding).  Now, I do realise that the media are there to tell ($ell) a story, she wasn't inflammatory or derogatory.  Heck, these reporters have seen their fair share of traumatic injuries on the streets and stuff, and probably have seen stuff that nobody reading this thread has either.  There's an event, they make an observation and then type it up and sell it to us. 

But when all is said and done, regardless of what was written, I would have to agree with you.  As others have said, she's reported other horrendous events, and being a story teller, she tries to paint a picture for the reader. 

vonGarvin said:
Heck, these reporters have seen their fair share of traumatic ...stuff that nobody reading this thread has either.

Like I said in another thread,1 she spent a night drinking at Sassy's with the troops from the Airborne Regiment as we were being disbanded  :eek:

;)

-------------------
1 http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23216/post-365793.html#msg365793

Journeyman said:
Like I said in another thread,1 she spent a night drinking at Sassy's with the troops from the Airborne Regiment as we were being disbanded   :eek:
;)
Now THAT'S trauma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Hi Guys

I've read Christie's columns for years and she is the real deal.  Apparently the flavour of the day is to be "balanced", ie,  you get a quote from a Canadian soldier, then you quote the Taliban so as to offer a balanced view of the issue.  Right!  I'd love to see one of our writers ask a Taliban to offer his views on the value of women in his world.  I often wonder how many of our "progressives" would be willing to exist in the world they impose on others.  Editorial comment:  What does being a "progressive" actually mean?  I liken it to being in favour of "nice".

HDE

http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=d01ecd8f-6cf4-4320-a8b4-4692fec5e5fc
I thought that this was note worthy.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A trust fund has been set up for toddler Collin Costall whose father Private Robert Costall was killed at the end of March in a firefight against the Talbian in Afghanistan. A native of Nanaimo, B.C., Pte. Costall, 22, pictured, also leaves behind wife, Chrissy. "He was very proud to be Canadian, he believed in what Canadians stand for and he believed in the Canadian military," Brenda Morris, Pte. Costall's aunt, wrote in an e-mail. Those wishing to contribute may do so by mailing a cheque, made out to Collin Costall, to Mrs. Patti Montpetit, 251 Tranquille Rd., Kamloops, B.C., V2B 3G2. There is also an account at Interior Savings, Tranquille Branch, in Kamloops, account #8285025.

© National Post 2006

Thanks BBJ for pointing that out. You are a marine of honour and integrity.

HDE: It's not the flavour of the day.  It's what they teach in journalism school.  Assessment  by the journalist of the views solicited constitutes bias.  Except that bias is clear in the choice of  the views solicited in the first place, and the in manner in which those views are reported.

Mark
Ottawa

In reference to the above mentioned trust fund details are at the following URL:  http://www.ppcli.com/files/costall%20tf.pdf  on the official PPCLI web site.  PLEASE BE GENEROUS  Thank you!

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2009561.php

August 08, 2006

Canadians probe possible friendly fire death

By Murray Brewster

HALIFAX (Canadian Press) — A closed-door investigation into the possible friendly fire death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan has concluded, but the board of inquiry’s final report won’t be released until it is vetted by U.S. and Afghan military officials.

The board investigated the death of Pvt. Robert Costall, who was killed last spring during a fierce firefight between coalition forces and insurgents at Sangin, west of Kandahar.

U.S. special operations forces, National Guard trainers and Afghan troops also took part in the battle.

The inquiry’s terms of reference, obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act, order Brig.-Gen. Chris Davis, the board president, to “determine what information, including any that has been received from coalition partners, is releasable under Canadian law.”

The April 13 document also confirms testimony from the inquiry has been designated as secret, and U.S. and Afghan officials have a veto over the release of what they consider “classified” information.

“Prior to the release to the public of a suitably severed report of the (board of inquiry) proceedings, an opportunity will be given to American and Afghan authorities to make known their perspective in respect of the proposed release of information,” the document says.

An inquiry spokesman said Canadians can rest assured the investigation will determine what happened, but some classified information will be withheld.

“The access to information and the privacy acts will guideline what can be released,” said Cmdr. Mike Consadine, a Halifax-based spokesman for the inquiry. “How that will manifest itself in the report, I wouldn’t even want to hazard a guess.”

Consadine said the report could be released by the fall.

Five days after assembling the board, Lt. Gen. J.C. Michel Gauthier, the commander of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, wrote to the inquiry president to “sensitize” the board “in order to ensure that there is complete understanding and collaboration” between the American and Canadian militaries.

Although coalition commanders have been careful not to point fingers at either U.S. or Afghan forces over the possibility that Costall was killed by friendly fire, Gauthier’s supplementary letter cautions the board to ensure its “investigation activities do not compromise any ongoing criminal investigations being conducted by American authorities.”

There was no such caution or clarification issued in relation to the Afghan National Army.

American soldiers, who might be the subject of “criminal investigation,” were not to be interviewed by the board without the approval U.S. law enforcement authorities, Gauthier’s letter says.

The possibility that Costall, a 22-year-old machine gunner, died as a result of friendly fire was raised by his wounded buddies when the multinational brigade commander, Canadian Brig. Gen. David Fraser, visited them in hospital.

The troops told Fraser they had been hit by fire from their own side as they rushed to take up position in one corner of the arid, hilltop base overlooking the village of Sangin.

Costall was part of a quick-reaction force that was rushed to the outpost, which was in danger of being overrun by insurgents and militias belonging to local drug lords.

Unlike other boards of inquiry — including the ones looking into the fatal fire aboard the Canadian navy submarine Chicoutimi and the recent crash of a Cormorant helicopter off Nova Scotia — the military refused to automatically disclose the terms of reference in this case.

The documents and followup letter were obtained using access to information laws.

A U.S. Army liaison officer assigned to the Canadian board was given the job of scheduling interviews with American soldiers involved in the battle. In addition, the officer was in charge of obtaining classified U.S. documents for the board to view and had a say in what members of the public — namely the Costall family — could be present for testimony.

The clash at Sangin also claimed the life of U.S. National Guard medic Sgt. 1st-Class John Stone, 52. Separate investigations by both the U.S. and Afghan militaries into the March 28-29 battle are underway.

Back