• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PTSD / OSI [Merged]

There are cases of people who have grown up with   years of sexual abuse,  malnutrition, drug abuse by parents, domestic   violence, who have lived in   many foster families or who have had extreme degrees of emotional abuse   and still have managed to grow up as functional adults. Their experiences go far beyond simple "spanking".   Researchers   defined "abuse" to control   for   your concerns. And they are not exactly "model citizens". They have just been able to cope better than others.

In no way am I trying to trivialize any of this.  I am just pointing out that today's society is now condemning what was once normal behavior in some instances.  In some cases, it has gone to the extreme, and what was once common practice in the way of discipline, is now abuse.  At the same time, there were indeed many cases of abuse, as you have stated, but even then they were frowned upon by many, if not considered outright wrong. 

We have come a long way since Psychiatric Clinics used Electric Shock and Lobotomies to treat the sick.  Then it was considered good medical practice.  Now it is considered to be in the same books as potions sold by "Snake Charmers".

Actually , ECT is still used as a last resort for depression.

more BS!!!!

I am so sick of this all this whining! Ever since VA starting giving out cash everybody has PTSD!! \

I had to fix the acronym 3 times! Man am I stressed!

thanks......I resemble that comment.

Coming from a career Cpl that means alot and retired at that.

this is a site for opinions and we both have expressed ours..

Crow out

My pleasure.  I'm sure my rank has everything to do with your opinion, just as you being in the navy league has everything to do with mine.  Funny, I don't recall any navy league cadets beside me when I was cataloguing mass graves in Croatia, of any rank.

Edited to add;  career Cpl and proud of it, how about you?  Can't tell who/what you are from your glaringly empty profile

Crows got a point, but im getting confused, dont care about the abuse ****, point is back to the point.....wait what is the point....Im stressed too can I claim for PTSD?

EDIT: I forgot I have PTSD may be I can claim again and double up?

Almost have to agree HFXCrow here, too many people abusing the system and the sad part is that the system is letting itself being abused. Please don't get me wrong, nobody is the same when you have to deal with sh-- like this. Don't have to go to Croatia.... Where ever we've been as peacekeapers, I think we've seen it, myself it was a 10 yr old kid in Haïti in the mid 90's, being stoned to death beacause he got caught stealing a chicken to feed his younger brother and sister or just walking thru a ''fresh'' bone yard with the Padre eventhaugh I didn't want to go but I was told to go as a shotgun rider...............I wasn't prepared to see all that crap amongs other things, but I did and I had to deal with this when I got back home. Ironicly, when I got back and I did my ''post screening'' or ''debrief'' I told the social worker  about all this and how I felt and guest what?????? She started crying and she couldn't hear no more, it was too discusting for her. So I dealt with it. My own way.............It cost me, and I'm still hanging on and I intend to go on.  Just like buddy in the movie would say......''keep on keeping on..''

Cheers..

Well, in my capacity as just a dumbass old lifer Cpl, maybe I misunderstood, but his post sounded to me like he thought it was all bullshit and whining.  Attitudes like that from the grownups in the military is why so many good troopies turn into spun bearings, because asking for help is still perceived as weakness by a lot of the pointyheads.  If my interpretation was wrong, I apologize, but I don't think it was.

i really don't think they do enough for the members.

my brother had PTSD....... all they did for him was pay for his funeral...... thanks a bunch.... but i would rather have had my him still here...... instead of his Beret and medals.

Kat Stevens said:
My pleasure.   I'm sure my rank has everything to do with your opinion, just as you being in the navy league has everything to do with mine.   Funny, I don't recall any navy league cadets beside me when I was cataloguing mass graves in Croatia, of any rank.

Edited to add;   career Cpl and proud of it, how about you?   Can't tell who/what you are from your glaringly empty profile

:mad:

I also want to add to your points toward hfxcrowe.I too was in Bosnia in the early days and  later also . I was also in Afghanistan . In Bosnia i had to do some things that the navy CADETS would never have to even think about . in my INFANTRY carrcareerave also done some things a navy CADET will never have to do . I cannot recall the amounts of times i have heard of navy cadets  having to stand guard over there dead friends body while a forensics team is called out to investigate  his death.  I cannot tell how many times the navy has flown out multiples of your friends killed by a seemingly random person . Yup they really do get to help out in all aspects of world security and peacekeeping missions around the world. i agree every one has the right to an opinion . every one has the right to be an idiot but hes abusing right

Hfxcrow is not a Navy Cadet, he just seems to take some pleasure in making people think that....

I cut and pasted this from the PTSD movie thread it is applicable here.

Let Me try and comment,

Being a soldier with PTSD.

You have the soldier who is just not doing well and wants to get out, after awhile and some thinking they realise they will have nothing once they are out no pension no job. They are not having a good time and as the pressue mounts in there very dissatisfied job they get posted to a crap hole mainly because they are not having a good time. They fake sick and claim PTSD and now no posting lots of PTSD money and they get to get out with a pension.
From personal observation I know the following, I will let you be the judge on wether it is fake or not:

Scenario 1  - cook is on a ship in the gulf happening (happening since it was not a war for Cdn) some 5,000km from the war and so far back in the gulf an Iraqi sea gull could not crap on his head while smoking on the back deck.  Released for PTSD full pension

Scenario 2 - cook miles from the front hears two soldiers talking about the action they just had on the front line some day before. Released for PTSD full pension.

Scenario 3 - Social worker doing stress debriefing for Swiss air recovery soldiers gets PTSD from hearing the stories.

Scenario 4  - Social worker doing stress debriefing for Kosavar refugees at a Canadian base gets PTSD from hearing the stories during the debriefing.

Scenario 5  - Oh I have many many more shall I go on?

Due to the above examples soldiers who really have gotten PTSD are to scared of the reticule to come forward.

Scenario 3 - Social worker doing stress debriefing for Swiss air recovery soldiers gets PTSD from hearing the stories.

Scenario 4  - Social worker doing stress debriefing for Kosavar refugees at a Canadian base gets PTSD from hearing the stories during the debriefing.

Are you friggin kidding me? How, and I say again, How do those two people qualify a diagnosis of PTSD?

Obviously, there is more to those stories.

I smell poop.

Oh please let me go on I have the need....!

Scenario 5  - soldier who works in an environment that is rather hostile to there approach to the new posting you know changing the way people look at traditional jobs, after much character assassination and other problems amongst the group all within the safety of a CF base in Canada the individual has many personal problems pile up divorce, doesn't get along with boss...etc. Has a bad day on the job involving a death nothing to do with them just has to deal with the death as a position of the job. PTSD claim and pension.

Scenario 6 - soldier works on a base in Canada and has a harassment claim against the boss and the investigation goes poorly the harassment continues and eventually the person goes off on stress leave and then full medical PTSD release with pension.

Scenario 7 - soldier deploys to Germany during the hay days of the beer and schnitzel tour, 20 years later claims PTSD gets PTSD pension.

Shall I go on?

3rd Horseman said:
Shall I go on?
to what end? I have tried to struggle through your inane ramblings and have yet to discover the point. For the love of Heaven, man, give us a topic sentence! What, exactly, are you trying to prove?

The point is that there are alot of false claims that are affecting the legitimate ones, above is an example of what I would suggest are false claims you be the judge if they have value or are false. Thats the point.

I apologize for the confusion.

well i know the hfxcrowe is not a cadet i think i saw him with a navy reserve trade number a while back . the navy i think has a had a number of personell  that could get ptsd as opposed to Critical stress. when you off set that to the numbers in the ARMY, that are put into situations  where its ptsd  vice CS. i also include the support trades [purple trades] . i do recall the divers of the swiss air tradgedy , the pers that deployed and actully got off the ship in hurc katrina  the members of the Chicotimi[sp] . and a few others besides. not to be pointing fingers but generally its the personel that are at the pointy end of the stick that tend to get it [ptsd] .  i personally  know at 8 -15 personell that are suffering the effects of it .. you could try to ask the opinion of someone who is suffering the effects of it .  the effects are very wide range of malaidies. some simply get angry easier . others suffer so much they cant make critical desions. some withdraw from the effects of crowds . ahh well i know of a wide range of effects .  they are all  members/ former wearers of green,  they all have an impressive rack of medals . they ALL would rathe r not have to suffer from ptsd .

3rd Horseman said:

Having sailed on the ship that was first on site to do recovery, I don't know about the social worker but I can attest to the fact that there has been some sailors affected and also there has been a lot of abuse by other sailors. Mind you that I agree with the fact that the Navy is not always prepared for this sort of situation. Also I think that the system is leting itself being abuse to some extend.
EX: A sailor claiming $700.00 a month because of this experience and has been declared unfit for sea. While the ship is alongside, he works onboard but he gets landed as soon as the ship goes to sea. Since he still belongs to the ship, he gets sea allowance. When you do the math, that's an extra $1000.00 a month minimum depending on his sea time but he's unfit to do his job??
Another sailor claiming PTSD because of Swiss air Flt 111 although he wasn't onboard, he was on course during that time, but he heard all the stories..........
These are just a few examples related to this incident and I can only imagine that there are more, either be real cases or not.
Just to say that some people deserve the help and benefits and others don't.  And people that really need it sometime just don't get it because of all of the abuse.

Cheers..

Back