• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public sector wages

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
dapaterson said:
We automate processes to eliminate clerical (lower-paid) functions, and replace their efforts with higher-paid people trying to understand the minutia of the processes the clerks did.

Of course, we rarely simplify the processes and take advantage of automation; rather, we automate a paper heavy process, retain its workflow, but add in computers making things longer, more complex - but with fewer people to deliver, and no one dedicated to the function.

Or, if you're some IT systems, you promise personnel savings, deliver a reduced solution late, but cut the personnel who should have been leading the transformation effort per your original schedule so you can claim an early RoI, and then wrap up millions over budget with a system that's fine on the shop floor, but not so good in deployed, austere locations with limited bandwidth.

.... and then we forget how to do the simplest, old school, customer service things right, like answering the phone :)

Millions of calls to government agencies go unanswered: Auditor General

https://globalnews.ca/news/5249257/calls-to-government-auditor-general/

Good2Golf

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
dapaterson said:
...or, if you're some IT systems, you promise personnel savings, deliver a reduced solution late, but cut the personnel who should have been leading the transformation effort per your original schedule so you can claim an early RoI, and then wrap up millions over budget with a system that's fine on the shop floor, but not so good in deployed, austere locations with limited bandwidth.

You mean like using a software module intended for a widget factory to manage a complex, highly mobile system, like an aircraft? ???

mariomike

Army.ca Legend
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Saw this in another forum:
A civilian is someone who is not a member of the Fire Service, Police or Armed Forces.
Merriam - Webster.
Also in my service in the police and as a firefighter both groups did not define themselves as civilians.
I would say practically all uniformed members are citizens, but are not civilians.
Then the question becomes how do you look at civilian vs uniformed when it comes to Class A / Volunteer FF / Aux Police. Civilian? Uniformed?
Ya, I've not seen a definition or distinction that would be universal; it needs context. Up until a number of years ago, OPP 'civilians' were represented by the broad public service employees union. Once they were brought into the fold, there is still a separate MOU for each. They are convenience words; the 'uniform' agreement covers members that work in plain clothes and some 'civilian' members wear a uniform. Even the 'sworn' descriptor doesn't work since there are special constables who are sworn.
Right. Words of convenience used in contract negotiations.

"Non-uniform" aka "civilian" negotiate in two-tiers: "Unit" and "City-wide".

"Uniformed" need only negotiate at the single-tier "Unit" level.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
.... and then we forget how to do the simplest, old school, customer service things right, like answering the phone :)

Millions of calls to government agencies go unanswered: Auditor General

My office was one of the few that answered the phone and we had a culture of never passing the buck, so if we could not help the person, we gave another number that should help and told them to call back if that didn`t work. A lot of people were frankly amazed a human picked up. To many people in government think they are to important to answer the public when they call, well they are not.

My old boss told me when i started working a desk:

1. Spend the money like it`s coming out of your pocket

2. Think of everything you hate about government and don`t do it

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
My office was one of the few that answered the phone and we had a culture of never passing the buck, so if we could not help the person, we gave another number that should help and told them to call back if that didn`t work. A lot of people were frankly amazed a human picked up. To many people in government think they are to important to answer the public when they call, well they are not.

My old boss told me when i started working a desk:

1. Spend the money like it`s coming out of your pocket

2. Think of everything you hate about government and don`t do it

Thankfully most of my public sector clients think the same.

I had a meeting with a senior executive client in one of the ministries recently. He mentioned that he tried to 'turn off' the installation of a (now obsolete) Cadillac teleconferencing system for all the meeting spaces in his ministry. COVID has driven everyone to online so why bother, right?

He ended up having to pay anyways, and the system doesn't even work properly after it was installed.

His comments were along the lines of 'think of what we could have done to actually help people in this Province with that kind of money instead of pouring it down the drain.'