• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Put Leopards in Afghanistan stuff HERE

geo said:
Will you look at the size of the shiny new couplers used to secure em in the C17s.....

Over 90lbs each... the pins had to be machined to fit the mounting points...indicative of the effort it has taken to get the tanks to theatre.

A sight that brings tears to my eyes.

I never thought to see the Panzers in a theatre of war...And my old regt have been the ones to take them. :salute:

Now the taliban will find out what happens when they take on a tank with Canadian gunners inside! :tsktsk:

Stay safe, hatches down!

Why is it that we are not taking the time to put a coat of arid paint on vehicles before they leave Canada?

Clankety-clank, Goddamn it's a tank.

Rock on, Strats. Give 'em hell.

MCG said:
Why is it that we are not taking the time to put a coat of arid paint on vehicles before they leave Canada?

Easy:

1.  They'll get dusty enough in theatre that being tan will soon be irrelevant.

2.  In the desert there isn't much point in camming a 40T plus tank

and

3.  They've been going flat out performing essential maintenence and modifications in an effort to meet some very ambitious timelines.  Painting is pretty low down on the priority list, especially considering how few vehicles in theatre are tan right now...

My question really applied to all vehicles (not just the leopards) that are going over (including replacement & vehicle rotations).  Incrementally getting things brown.

The tan & green CARC paints also have environmentally specific traits in the non-visible spectrums, so this is not just about changing the obvious vehicle colour.

Oh, I know, MCG, but grinding and spraying CARC paint requires a LOT of preparation and specialized equipment.  That takes time - time we didn't have...

Still, a big well done to all the techs and troops that put this all together and made it happen...No small accomplishment, given the high maint schedule that those things require. :salute: :cdn:

Slim

mover1 said:
I would have loved to see pictures on how it was chained down. THat stuff excites me more than just a tank on a tarmac by a huge plane.

I found some pictures of a leopard being prepared for flight
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123028739

061007-F-6882G-286.jpg

061007-F-6882G-328.jpg

edit for spelling

HOLY CRAP SINCE WHEN DID BEN AFFLECK BECOME A LOADMASTER

I think that that is interesting to say the least on how they moved them over. tying it down must have been a *****.  But then I suppose there was ample space in the C-17 to move around in vice a Herc.

When they did the armour upgrades did they do anything to the floor of the Leopard?

*(When chaining down loads on a Herc usually there are certain areas whichare very tight like the wheel well. I was never implying that a Leo could go into a Herc that is silly.)

Wow, click on the "Download Full Image" links once you are in the article.  They are a nice high res, rare to see online.

Full res links are below:

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/061007-F-6882G-327.jpg
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/061007-F-6882G-286.jpg
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/061007-F-6882G-328.jpg

Great shots of the additional side armour.  Looks like I'll have to re-do my 1/16 Leopard Model now... heh.

I found this on the Strathcona site.  I guess they found a way to bring their gravy boats ;) (with all apologies to my Strathcona friends out there) :
"Strathcona soldiers have a reputation of making themselves comfortable in any environment. "

von Garvin said:
I found this on the Strathcona site.  I guess they found a way to bring their gravy boats ;) (with all apologies to my Strathcona friends out there) :
"Strathcona soldiers have a reputation of making themselves comfortable in any environment. "

Any fool can be uncomfortable ;D

Is it true that some of the upgrades on the Leo included bigger hatches?
Since CADPAT came out do they make special tanker ones in Spandex?

mover1 said:
Is it true that some of the upgrades on the Leo included bigger hatches?
Since CADPAT came out do they make special tanker ones in Spandex?
Not bigger hatches, but the crewmen do get butter.  And it's not for eating ;D

As for CADPAT spandex *shudder*.  I'm just waiting for it to show up at the Oromocto Mall!!!!!

Back