• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Put Leopards in Afghanistan stuff HERE

OK, that's it!  If ever you come to G'town and start dry humpin' the Cats, well, you'll be tossed, that's all I can say

VON,  Never on a first date. I'll behave myself, I promise  ;D

On a seriuos note, its nice to see some serious firepower being used over there. The shock effect of the Leo alone will be enough to send the taliban scurrying for cover like scared rabbits.

retiredgrunt45 said:
VON,  Never on a first date. I'll behave myself, I promise   ;D

VON, be careful...you know what cats in heat are like!!!  ;D

And you just KNEW this had to be coming from the media - shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act

Pricetag to send tanks to Afghanistan in the tens of millions: O'Connor
Canadian Press, 7 Nov 06
Article Link

OTTAWA (CP) - Canada's defence minister says it's costing taxpayers $189 million to send re-enforcements, including Leopard tanks, to Afghanistan to support Canadian troops.

Gordon O'Connor told a House of Commons committee Tuesday night that includes the cost of sending the tanks, a team of engineers and a counter-mortar unit. "That's transportation, plus what was necessary to get all the equipment up to standard for operations," said O'Connor in reply to questions from opposition MP's.

The military announced last summer that the 42-tonne Leopards would be deployed to Afghanistan.

Five of the 42-tonne monsters are already in operation with another 12 to be deployed in the next month.

Some military experts and others have expressed concern the Leopards could further alienate Afghans already suspicious of foreign troops.

During Tuesday's questioning, Opposition Leader Bill Graham questioned O'Connor on whether recent air strikes and the use of tanks against insurgents hiding in villages is interfering with the delivery of aid to the Afghan people.

"Are we concerned... that the use of tanks amongst the local population, and particularly the use of airpower, is such that it's destroying our capacity to reach out to the local population?" Graham asked.

But O'Connor was adamant that the tactics that NATO forces have used in Afghanistan are not out of line.

"It's quite appropriate for us to have tanks there," O'Connor said. "We're trying to reduce casualties."

"When these Taliban go into areas and fight from the equivalent of pill boxes that we don't have to send our infantry in to get them," he said. "We can use tank fire to take them out."

And the tactics of Canada's allies are also appropriate, O'Connor said, a reference to the air strikes that have accidentally killed dozens of Afghan civilians in recent weeks.

milnewstbay said:
And the tactics of Canada's allies are also appropriate, O'Connor said, a reference to the air strikes that have accidentally killed dozens of Afghan civilians in recent weeks.

[1] How about " airstrikes that have alledgedly killed...."?

[2]  Notice that part wasn't in quotes?.....so the reporter made the reference, not the speaker.

[3] Amazing how some of the the press will convict our military without hearings, trials or even first-hand information but, if this story is about the pervert who molested his kid live on the internet in front of a first-hand witness Police Officer, he is only an ' alledged' molester.

More shame on CP.

Anyone got any info on how the Leos are doing 'in theatre'? I've been sent a couple of photos showing them 'shooting and scooting' but I'm not sure if they're pukka or not. Looks too much like Suffield.

"Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes." Beast of War, 1988

Bruce - I have as many issues with you re:  CP as the next guy, but to be entirely fair....

NATO Compensates Relatives Of Dead Afghan Civilians
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1 Nov 06
Article Link

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan says it has paid compensation and handed out aid to civilians in Kandahar Province who were targeted by air strikes last week.  ISAF spokesman Major Luke Knittig said preliminary inquiries confirm 12 civilians were killed by the October 24 raid in the province's Panjwayi district ....

NATO Chief Apologizes For Killing Civilians In Afghanistan
Nasdaq news wire, 29 Oct 06
Article Link

NATO's top commander in Afghanistan has apologized for killing civilians during week long battles between NATO-led forces and the Taliban militia in Afghanistan .... Expressing deep regret over the civilians killings in the war torn country, US Gen. James L. Jones said at a news conference at Bagram, the largest US base in Afghanistan, that the death of a civilian "is something that causes anybody in uniform to lose a lot of sleep."  Taliban insurgents use civilian populations as shields, making it difficult to avoid civilian casualties, Jones said adding "sadly, in asymmetric warfare, when you're battling an insurgency, typically the insurgents do not play by the same rules that we would like to play by."

Now, why CP didn't bring up the highlighted part above, THAT's a good question.....

Apologies for the brief hijack - now back to your regularly scheduled Leopard lovin'  ;D

There is a video of the leo's being prepared for a convoy and then moving out.  You can find that here: Leos on the move

Pretty neat to see.

Pretty dam nice, I thought there was only 5 in theatre so far, but looks closer to 8 plus 2 ARV's

Colin P said:
Pretty dam nice, I thought there was only 5 in theatre so far, but looks closer to 8 plus 2 ARV's

Look closer more than just the ARV are there. The Badger AEV is also there and from the video at least 2 of them.

Hi all:
Quick question are the Leopard C2 outfited with the socalled MEXAS armour? If not what's the armour that the C2 have based on the photos?
Thanks!
xavier

xavier said:
Hi all:
Quick question are the Leopard C2 outfited with the socalled MEXAS armour? If not what's the armour that the C2 have based on the photos?
Thanks!
xavier

Thats classified  ;D

Colin P said:

All the tanks have left Edmonton.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
All the tanks have left Edmonton.
And in case anyone is wondering, it was on the news (television) recently, during a story about the last Edmonton crew to return.  A tag line was "just as the last of the leopards leaves for Afghanistan..."

Mud reece man:
Thanks. ;) It'll be nice to create a 1/35 scale dio of the C2 tank with MEXAS armour.... if that's what it is  :D

xavier

Hey as the name says...I am not a tanker.  They let me sit in one once....

once  ;)

Viewing that video one word comes to mind SWEET!!!!  Going to download it so I can watch it over and over and over..... ;D

rmacqueen said:
Viewing that video one word comes to mind SWEET!!!!  Going to download it so I can watch it over and over and over..... ;D

Just keep your clothes on.

Back