• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Put Leopards in Afghanistan stuff HERE

well.... the Taliban have been trying like heck to figure out ways of disabling our Iltis, Gwagon, Nyala, Bison, LAV IIIs.....

I certainly expect, sometime soon, some TB will start stacking TM / TMK soviet era antitank mines one atop another just to see if Allah is willing.

Heads up!  Eyes wide open and look out, look out!

4 X more powerful than a 155mm fired by an M777???

maybe he meant 4 x more visible?

Well, to be a bit of a Cliff Claven, technically he's not wrong, the 105 on the Leo is meant for direct fire and the next weapon down in calibre being used regularly in the direct fire role is the 25mm. Mind you the M777 was used for a short time in a direct fire role before the "Cat" showed up, but that was an exception and is definitely not the main role of that gun.
Taking a guess here but I think it's safe to say the gunners are glad the Leo is in town too.

Hmmm....
when you have to depend on your 155s for direct fire support, you're so deep into doodoo that your prospects are significantly diminished.  and yes, the gunners should be happy not to be placed in that kind of Situation

geo said:
well.... the Taliban have been trying like heck to figure out ways of disabling our Iltis, Gwagon, Nyala, Bison, LAV IIIs.....
I certainly expect, sometime soon, some TB will start stacking TM / TMK soviet era antitank mines one atop another just to see if Allah is willing.

Well, this is really old news.  They had been doing that for years against the Russians, and we have found instances of it being done in the past.  One reason it may have been done lately with less stacked, or not stacked at all, would have been for economy.  If we continue to destroy ammo caches and interrupt resupply routes, then the threat should remain fairly low, but still not non-existant.  The possibility will always be there, and one we must remain conscious about.

George Wallace said:
Well, this is really old news.  They had been doing that for years against the Russians, and we have found instances of it being done in the past.  One reason it may have been done lately with less stacked, or not stacked at all, would have been for economy.  If we continue to destroy ammo caches and interrupt resupply routes, then the threat should remain fairly low, but still not non-existant.  The possibility will always be there, and one we must remain conscious about.
No doubt.  I would not be at all surprised if we see an increase in activity aimed at taking one out as a symbolic gesture.  But, at the same time, it could also help to force the TB to use up what they have, basically out spend them into oblivion.

geo said:

By the looks of some of the pictures, there are mine plows on some of the tanks, so if we use them or the dozer blade on the AEV; it should limit the chance of a mine strike.

just my 2 cents

NL_engineer said:
By the looks of some of the pictures, there are mine plows on some of the tanks, so if we use them or the dozer blade on the AEV; it should limit the chance of a mine strike.

just my 2 cents

Unfortunately that is not practical, and very time consuming, unless you have found a 'known' minefield.  We are talking about IED's and 'nuisance' mines.  They could be anywhere.

NL_engineer said:

just my 2 cents

If you told me to use my AEV to breach A/Tk mines, I would kindly tell you to take a gentle flying phaq at a rolling donut. Mech breaches are meant to be done by plows, rollers, and, God help us, aardvaark.  Horses for courses and all that.

Good video on link

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061203/afghan_tanks_061203/20061203?hub=TopStories

Cdn tanks fire in battle for 1st time in 50 years
MA'SUM GHAR, Afghanistan -- Canadian tanks fired their cannons in battle for the first time in half a century Sunday, replying to a Taliban rocket attack on their forward operating base.
The squadron of Leopard Tanks arrived at the base Saturday, rolling through the nearby village of Panjwaii with an impressive show of force for local citizens and the Taliban.
The Taliban obviously noticed. Two rebel rockets landed near the base at twilight Sunday, shattering the relative calm with a loud explosions. Canadian troops responded with two mortar bombs, the flash on the mountain top clearly visible from below in the fading light.
Then, at 5:10 p.m. local time, a Canadian tank fired its first shot in combat in five decades. It was followed by a second blast at the Taliban a few moments later, the boom of the 105-millimetre cannon echoing off the rocks.
"They know we're here ... (and) we think they're somewhat nervous of us,'' said Cpl. Andrew Baird, 23, of Parry Sound, Ont., who arrived with the squadron on Saturday. "I think it surprised them that we arrived and we're here now and we're here to stay.''
"The Taliban refer to the tanks as the superbeast. They used to refer to the Russian attacks as beasts and we're called the superbeasts now.''
The squadron made little attempt to hide its arrival and a few of the Leopards left on patrol to a local strongpoint early Sunday morning.
Their first target was an abandoned grape drying hut with metre-thick mud walls said to have the resiliency of bullet-proof armour.
But against the tank guns, the hut never had a chance.
A line of Leopards took turns firing rounds at the hut, the sound of the shots surprisingly quiet considering the damage that was being inflicted.
The shells punched holes through the mud walls and blew the roof off in a dramatic plume of smoke and dust.
Sunday's foray by the tanks was their first into a countryside dotted with marijuana fields and small villages. Canadian casualties have been high here due to attacks by suicide bombers. The arrival of the armoured giants is a morale boost for everyone.
"It does bring a few things to the table. The Battle Group is extremely well-equipped and prepared for their mission,'' said Maj. Trevor Cadieu, commander of B-Squadron.
"We're here to augment it with increased fire capability. We have the ability to reach out and touch up to several kilometres,'' he added.
The initial euphoria brought on by the arrival of the squadron subsided a little Sunday as members of the tank squadron settled into life at the camp and did maintenance on the vehicles after travelling the 70-kilometre route from Kandahar Airfield.
"The soldiers are extremely pumped,'' acknowledged Cadieu. "We're looking forward to the challenges that this operation is going to bring to the squadron and to the Battle Group.''
Cadieu declined to disclose the military's plans for the Leopards other than to say they would be "used as required.''
Members of the squadron were relieved to finally arrive in the Panjwaii district after waiting for a month in Kandahar. Cpl. Gerri-Anne Davidson, 24, of Penticton, B.C., a gunner, wasn't quite sure what to expect but knows the tanks arrival will make a difference.
"Being out here for the rest of the military that's out here, that's the thing,'' Davidson said. "People would say to me, so when are the tanks going to come out? They were all anxious to have the tanks come out here and give them a hand.''
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061203/afghan_tanks_061203/20061203?hub=TopStories

One comment: AWESOME

Kat Stevens said:
If you told me to use my AEV to breach A/Tk mines, I would kindly tell you to take a gentle flying phaq at a rolling donut. Mech breaches are meant to be done by plows, rollers, and, God help us, aardvaark.  Horses for courses and all that.

Point taken, they never went into Mech Breach on my 3's or 5's (they briefly touched on the mine plow and roller, what they were and different parts)

It does an ex-tankers heart good to see that we finally have people at the top (ex tanker too!) that have the gonads to make the decisions that count. Its great to see we are finally using the firepower to backup the extraordinary effort of our guys (and gals) over there. They deserve all of the support we can give them...especially that 105mm!! Just wish I was still part of team. Good Luck Zipperheads!! :salute: :cdn: :salute:

Piper said:
All this news about the Leopards and such gives a wee little OCDT like me wood.

Here's to hoping my request to transfer to armoured gets approved.
The man has seen the light, praise be. ;D

After going through this thread what able minded young digger doesnt want to chase the first black hat he or she see's and steal it off them?

Theres a poem over here from the Vietnam war which is still true today, the relevent bit being (and i cant remember the actual poem), that they used to call Armoured Koala bears because you couldnt take them oversea's and you couldnt shoot them. With the world as it is now, armoured is the only way to go!
Through the mud and blood to the glory beyond!
Bold & Swift!

When the Taliban uses their experience in IED, and the old stockpiles of anti-armour left from hunting Russian armour, they are going to take a crack at the Leo.  Most of the armour they killed during the occupation was light armour (BMP, BDRM, etc), and the Soviet main battle tanks they killed were not in the same protective class as the Leopard.  Granted the Soviet main gun was a nasty piece of kit in middle distances, and its main armour belt was respectable, but its tendency to kill its crews when breached hearkened back to WWII armour. 
The Canadian press may have a field day when or if the first Leo gets "killed", but the Taliban will have a long hard look at the crew disembarking from the stricken tank, the recovery vehicle towing back to base, and realize that both tank and crew will be back for round two.  Attempting to hunt the big cats calls for both more equipment and more trained cadre from old Timmy, and thus puts irreplaceable resources out where we can hit them.  Bottom line, this puts a big ace up our sleeve, while inviting the Taliban to raise.  Call or fold, the Taliban either lose their stockpiles and training cadre, or all credibility with the footsoldiers, either one serves our purposes.

What the other side is being fed....

3 NATO Tanks Destroyed, 20 NATO Troops Killed in Afghanistan
Publication time: Today at 15:48 Djokhar time
Article Link

A  Mujahid of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan Taliban, named  M. Daud, performed a sacrificing attack inside a building of a foreign NGO in the 5th district of the city of Kandahar near Sharkat Meewa today on Wednesday , December 6, 2006 ,at 7 am local time, when puppet Afghani soldiers and foreign troops  gathered there. The action resulted in killing of all  Afghani and 10 foreign soldiers.

The Mujahideen of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan Taliban beat off an attack and defeated NATO troops in the Ahshet Droop area of the Garmseer district in the Helmand province on Tuesday, December 5, 2006,  when foreign troops intended to penetrate into the Muhahideen-controlled area.

The firefight continued for 10 hours. 10 NATO soldiers killed and 3 NATO tanks were destroyed. The destroyed tanks could be seen in the area.Two Mujahideen were also martyred and 4 others were wounded in the firefight.

The Mujahideen of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan Taliban armed  with  heavy and small  weapons  attacked an Afghani mercenary soldiers\'s post in the Pashi Khor area of the Pattan district in the Paktia province late Tuesday, December 5, 2006,burning a quarter of the building.  Eyewitnesses said 2 puppet soldiers had been killed and 3 others had been wounded in the action. The Mujahideen suffered  no casualties, Alemarah reported.
More on link

Mike: Edited to fix tags

All of the posts from the "Dutch Blog photo" onward were moved out of view pending a review. They may or may not be back.

ALL: Regardless of your particular source of knowledge, please remember that we don't want to post information regarding "events" in-theatre until that information has been "officially" released by the CF. Thanks

Panzers in the sandbox.....

Pretty 'eh?

Regards

server-13.jpg

server.jpg

server-1.jpg

I'm surprised that they are still using the old PLGRS instead of the DAGR over there.

I know this probably shouldnt go here but just quickly because the C6 on the top photo has made me wonder again, was there ever any consideration from the CF of using the MG3 on the Leo's? It seems like everyone else but the Canadians use it on the Leopards. I'm sure they would have let you create a silly name for it too, maybe C10!  :p

Back