• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

QL3 course, what are these rumours?

Hey BD,
Thats just what I have heard threw the grapevine too!! I was just hoping for my QL3 course for October instead of waiting on PAT platoon until the new year.  I let you know what happens as I sart my BMQ in June.

Thanks,
Kawigirl  :cdn:

bdcasey916 said:
I know when I did my CC last year, about half my class did not their SQ.  I know that a few of them are actually doing pre-deployment training as we speak that still did not get their SQ.  Most of the new QL3 students that started yesterday were talking about that in the smoke pit this morning, when they would get their SQ fit into their training.  I am only quoting a rumor here, but I hear through the grapevine that SQ is being taken out of the training system, and the field training portion of BMQ was to be lengthened to include the basics of what SQ taught.  Remember, I said this is only a rumor that I heard through the grapevine. 

George Wallace said:
Heard no such rumours.  As far as I know, no one can progress on a Career Crse without completing BMQ and SQ.  Next we'll hear rumours of people being loaded on Career Crses without passing their Medicals at CFRCs.

BMQ's field portion was already lengthened, as Basic is 13 weeks now. (14 including week zero) That lengthening knocked SQ down to 4 weeks (from 10).

SQ is not a hard prerequisite for Med Tech's to do their QL3 trades training. It is a course we are "supposed" to have. However, a good chunk of my  QL3 course does not have SQ, as there wasn't time to do it before being loaded on our QL3's. We've been told once we're posted it's up to our units to see that we get it. That being said, I too personally know of a few medic's who have been doing their pre-deployment training and do not have SQ.

SQ is something us Med Techs should have, it's just not on the Must have list.  ( Although it should be).  I don't have mine and I know I missed out big time on some good training and weapons practice. But "ces la vie" as we say. 

Thanks for the information everyone,
I guess I will just wait and see. I don't mind doing the SQ, but I would rather get on with my training for my career then do my SQ. Please remember this is my opinion on the SQ course.

Thanks again,

Do your SQ course and get to know what the field environment is like and get the basic basic infantry skills down with your small arms. Do it, learn it, then do your career courses. It only makes sense since your first posting would most likely be a Fd Amb with an attach posting to a field unit somewhere. Do the basic stuff, get it out of the way.

Thanks Guys,
I was also wondering since I am so new to the CF and no question is a dumb question (right!), is the black uniform an everyday wear or just for doing "ride alongs". On base here I have seen both the CADPAT and the black uniform....

Thanks,

>:D

Black uniform?  If it is Black Coverals and no headdress, it is probably a "prisoner".  ;D

kawigirl said:
I was also wondering since I am so new to the CF and no question is a dumb question (right!), is the black uniform an everyday wear or just for doing "ride alongs". On base here I have seen both the CADPAT and the black uniform....

I believe the uniform you are talking about, is the civilian on-car uniform. You'll wear it out in BC while working on-car during the OJT portion of the paramedic course. It's purpose is to help you blend in while you're working with other civilian paramedic professionals. (vice wearing the Cadpat)

No, that Civilian On-Car uniform is also worn after JIBC when you are doing your yearly MCSP at your home unit.  No matter where you are in the country, emerg care is part of your MCSP package and you will be going on car, hence the creation of the on-car uniform

bdcasey916 said:
No, that Civilian On-Car uniform is also worn after JIBC when you are doing your yearly MCSP at your home unit.  No matter where you are in the country, emerg care is part of your MCSP package and you will be going on car, hence the creation of the on-car uniform

I realize that, I was just trying to make clear when you start wearing the on-car uniform, which will be at JIBC while working on-car.

My apologizies, I'm multitasking and didn't read it carefully enough

Our on car uniforms are black with reflective tape.  Similar to what most paramedics wear here in Ontario.  They are very professional looking, and received great reviews from our preceptors and other paramedics in BC.  We were the first class of JI Students to wear them.  Unfortunately you are not issued a belt to wear.  I would recommend purchasing a tactical duty belt, and fitting it out, with a mag lite holder, a glove holder ( must hold at least 2 latex/non-latex gloves), and a scissor pouch (I forget what they are actually called but it holds 1 scissor, 2 Hemostats, and some have a mag lite holder.) The duty belt is a back saver, and most paramedics in BC that I met wear them.  Easy to take off when you are in the station relaxing. 

Don't know how it'll play out wearing the belt when at a Unit though (Not an issue at mine). You'd have to check once getting posted, or ask if you know someone who's at one of the Field Ambs you'd be going to.

MedTech32 said:
Don't know how it'll play out wearing the belt when at a Unit though (Not an issue at mine). You'd have to check once getting posted, or ask if you know someone who's at one of the Field Ambs you'd be going to.

Great idea while working on-car.

Wear it around unit lines afterward, and be prepared to be called a loser.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Great idea while working on-car.

Wear it around unit lines afterward, and be prepared to be called a loser.

Yep, it'll look great when you're changing the oil on an MLVW.  ;)

;D Not exactly what I meant when I posted.  But after reading it this morning I can see why you probably think I'm a moronic gear hog. 

What I meant was that there was nobody in BC to tell us "No, do not wear that, it isn't issued".  As opposed to on base at a field unit (Where I'm sure there are lots of people to tell a no hook private).

MedTech32 said:
  What I meant was that there was nobody in BC to tell us "No, do not wear that, it isn't issued".  As opposed to on base at a field unit (Where I'm sure there are lots of people to tell a no hook private).

No, they won't tell you you can't wear it because it is not issued....They will call you a loser because it is pretty much useless wearing it around your lines.

And you'll look like an idiot.

I've been on the civy side for 10 years now, and I don't even wear the tactical belt 99% of the time.
No real need for it. Throw a pen and some gloves in your pocket. Scissors in the leg pocket maybe,
but there are sets of scissors in the bags and in the rig.

If you have a two piece tactical belt with the inner velcro belt, that inner is great with your combat pants.
Adjustable, no buckle and great when going through an airport.

I agree with you there old medic, but with the Military On-Car Uniforms, they are the exact same as the OPD's for the Military Police, they just have the reflective tape on them, so unfortunately the leg pockets are just cargo pockets and don't have the pre-formed slot to put scissors in.  I have a funny feeling someone would go to the ground to aid a patient and well they will need some trauma aid because they stabbed themselves in the leg with a pair of utility scissors  :eek:

You can always get a small holder that attaches to your combat belt for scissors, penlights, etc.  I know the cooks used to like them for holding their various paring knives.

SMMT

I agree you'd look like an idiot.  I gotta stop posting before my morning coffee.  my bad, Nuff said

bdcasey916:

I agree with you, I could see some poor smuck with the scissors in his cargo pocket kneeling/bending whatever and jabbin themselves in the leg, and leaving a nice bruise.  For our on car session just about everyone found a creative way to carry them on the belt.

But in the end it's all about personal preference.

Back