• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quantity over Quality in the Reserves

Well i start my reserve BMQ this monday... Hope I don‘t run into too many people that have been described in this thread. I know there‘s always someone whose a total jack***, but I would like to think that must people have a good head on there shoulders who treats everyone with common respect.

I‘m one of the 16 year olds joining the reserves. But as soon as I get out of high school I‘m joining the reg force. I just figured that I should get started as soon as possible. Not only is it a good job, but I want to be in the army. And whether it be the regulars or the reserves I intend to be the most professional I can be.

Originally posted by Yeremenko:
[qb] It may not be as good as the regulars but at it‘s what I can do now. [/qb]
I wouldn‘t quite say ‘not as good as the regs‘...we just have different roles. It‘s almost like comparing apples and oranges. Besides being part of the CF, most reservists hold down civvy careers or are pursuing a higher education. Besides, many reservists do their bit by helping out on operations, both domestic and international...

But let‘s not get into this debate again, that comment just irked me a bit. :p

[qb] It may not be as good as the regulars but at it‘s what I can do now. And I intend to be the most professional I can be. [/qb]
Thats the best attitude to have and no one( reg or reserve) will be able to say a word if you‘re the best soldier you can be!

Good luck!

Slim

Originally posted by Enzo:
[qb] Greg - As I said, only one instance and it was back in ‘98. It‘s the way of things to recall the few negative moments and take the remaining positive ones for granted. As I also said, quite a few of those guys fit in well with us and that was fine. As I said at the beginning, I didn‘t want to disparage upon those guys.

I suppose its a matter of ones perspective. You earned your cap badge and are proud of the effort that required. The reg guys feel the same, but it takes awhile longer, so there‘s a sense of fulfillment along with that. Basically, it‘s a pissing contest I suppose.

End of the day, who cares. Its all training. If you are good at what you do, then revel in that. Just don‘t ever be a REMF like that fat ...

Cheers. [/qb]
true that then enzo, just wan‘t sure of what you meant there was all. I bet I know EXACTLY who you are talking about. that I know of, he‘s not in the unit anymore. really I can understand what you‘re saying though. I mean it‘s one thing to get the capbadge through the reserves, and another to get it in the regs. I‘ll be one of the few troops that‘s earned the RCR capbadge twice.
Greg

[qb] I‘m one of the 16 year olds joining the reserves. But as soon as I get out of high school I‘m joining the reg force. I just figured that I should get started as soon as possible. Not only is it a good job, but I want to be in the army. It may not be as good as the regulars but at it‘s what I can do now. And I intend to be the most professional I can be. [/qb]
I will say to you Young MAN! I salute you :salute:

I‘m 50 now and still serving in our Militia have been since 1976 and I have only 5 yrs left.

All‘s I can say is MAKE US PROUD!!

:cdn:

76? man you‘re just like my rsm. has had 41 years in (how I don‘t know probably joined up when he was 16).
you can litteraly say you‘ve got dirt on your boots that‘s younger then you lol
that‘s how I want to be, if my knees and back don‘t give out on me.
I don‘t see anything wrong with joinin up at 16. so long as you can keep up, aren‘t a bag of ****, and don‘t blade without reasoning, I more then welcome you.
Greg

I am in the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, and have never met nor heard of a 16 year old Master Corporal. You‘d better ask that young fellow to get his story straight.

Stu

He was full of it alright. No cadet will ever be promoted immediatly to the rank of Mcpl or Cpl...it just isn‘t done.

The rank of Mcpl is basically where the individual is incharge of a section or a call sign, etc.

He/she has the lives of the people in their section in their hands on the battle field/ op.

Who would be so stupid as to give that kind of responsibility to a 16 year old boy(sorry guys, but it‘s true).

If I had a snot nosed kid show up and be promoted like that...I‘d be gone right after the CO got a shot to the gut.

Regards

BTW...Mcpl is not a promotion...it‘s an appointment that can be taken away by the CO at anytime without cause. Just thought I‘d add that in ;)

Originally posted by Pte. Bloggins:
[qb]
[qb] It may not be as good as the regulars but at it‘s what I can do now. [/qb]
I wouldn‘t quite say ‘not as good as the regs‘...we just have different roles. It‘s almost like comparing apples and oranges. Besides being part of the CF, most reservists hold down civvy careers or are pursuing a higher education. Besides, many reservists do their bit by helping out on operations, both domestic and international...

But let‘s not get into this debate again, that comment just irked me a bit. :p [/qb]
I understand this and completely respect the reserves, otherwise I wouldn‘t join them. I didn‘t mean anything by this. The reservists are something other than a soldier and I admire this. I apologize for any misgivings. And thank you to Slim and Spr. Earl for the support. :)
(I did change my name so I‘m not talking for someone else).

YoungSoldier: There are hundreds of reserve units in the CF, and I would be absolutely amazed if anyone could legitimately claim to have worked with most of them. Most people with 20 years in would have a hard time claiming that they even MET someone from every reserve unit in the CF, so pardon me if I take your posts with a grain of salt.

Certainly standards are different than they were 10 years ago. You can no longer insult someone by race, gender, etc., can‘t beat troops with a drill cane, and can‘t force them to do PT while you sit on the sidelines sipping tea. Yes, in many instances people attempt to abuse the regulations preventing harassment, but I believe that the standards are starting to swing back towards the center (where they belong). There are morale and attutude problems throughout the CF, both Reg and Reserve. Look at the guys who spend 2 years in Pat Platoon because they know how to abuse the MIR and chit systems.

In any case, morale and pride can‘t be instilled by talking to troops, nor can it be beat into them with a pace stick. The hardcore slackers; the ones who only show up once every 6 weeks to avoid the NES list, never go on exercise, and have a medical excuse every time there‘s work to be done aren‘t fooling anyone. The half arsed soldiers are known to pretty much everyone, are usually ostracized from their unit, and typically shape up or leave quickly.

Eventually we‘ll have to find a balance between human rights and unit cohesion and discipline. Until then, we‘re going to have to be patient.

Originally posted by Stu Hert:
[qb] I am in the Loyal Edmonton Regiment[/qb]
Wow, no one has ever admitted that here before. You get my vote for bravest man on the forum!

:D

I think that what some say about the Reserves is true, alot, not all but alot of reserves are not the best of soldiers but most of the time it is no fault of thier own. The training $$$$ in the Canadian forces is down right nasty. I was reg and am now a reserve and I can‘t even count the number of courses cancelled because of funding.
The courses are short but not because of the recruits not being able to handle it, but because there is no money. Every time we send troops to Afgan something like 20-25 reserve courses are cancelled. I did my basic and battle school in the regs and now I‘m in holding troop waiting for my qualifications to come through and let me tell you I could probally teach the f88king courses if they ever happen. And believe me when i say that I am going to lose it if they don‘t come in soon because going into holding is like finishing high school just to be told that you must repeat grade 8.

1. I don‘t like "blue on blue" exchanges, but that‘s just my personal viewpoint - it‘s a free country, and if you insist ... go right on ahead (more rations at the end of the day for the rest of us).

2. A fat piece of cr@p is a fat piece of cr@p, no matter whether Reg or Reserve (yup - I‘ve seen both, and neither is a pretty sight).

3. I just got back from Afghanistan, and I‘m extremely proud of what I saw - both Reg and Reserve doing a good job (and, yes - some fat pieces of cr@p, too) - however, at the end of the day, I saw more good things than bad things - thus, I‘m inclined to believe we must be doing something right (as an organisation ...).

4. Quality instruction/leadership is more than important - it‘s essential. If it‘s lacking, then do the best you can to replace/instill/create it yourself (reminds me of the expression: "Make a decision - lead, follow, or get out of my way!") Leadership by example isn‘t restricted to higher ranks - it‘s found at any and every rank level. Instead of complaining, or being part of the problem, be part of the solution - set an example, do your best, and sooner or later the higher-ups will notice (especially if you‘re outperforming your supposed "superiors" ...)

Here endeth the sermon (yah - it‘s late, I‘m grumpy, and I decided to vent - so what?)
P.S. (once upon a time, the Army had an "apprentice" program - thus, it was possible to enlist at a very young age - not so today. It‘s extremely unlikely the CF recruiting standards have changed while I was away, given the UN position on "child soldiers", thus there‘s no way I know of for a 16-year-old to be a MCpl in the Militia. Thus, in addition to being jsut a little boy, that kid is pathetic - I know the LER claim a relationship to the PPCLI, but ... he sounds like a two-bit poser if he‘s always wearing a Patricia t-shirt instead of LER ... but then again, I imagine that LER t-shirts are only available in MEN‘s sizes ...)

Touche Bossi!
Yes it all come‘s the quality of instruction!
As Napoleon said;There is no such thing as a bad soldier only bad General‘s.

Over my 28yrs I have been instructed by Korean Vet‘s who were very harsh when you F‘d up.
By The Pat‘s who did the same.
You learnt or you were punted!No,if‘s and‘s or but‘s!

But as Militia we must strive to beat the Reg.‘s on course just because they see us as Militia Plug‘s!

(at my age now I‘m proud of being called a Militia Plug because I‘ve forgotten more than they now now ;) :salute: :cdn: ) :D

Yonk‘s ago in the Wack when they had the M/Cpl Mess I was on my 6A Engineer Course.
A Reg Force Course which is close on 3 month‘s cramed into 6 week‘s!!!

We are in the mess studying and helping each othe out on bridge classification or some other subject
When uncalled comment‘s were made from certain Reg.Force M/Cpl.‘s in the Mess about Militia Plug‘s etc.

It whent on and they picked on the young guy!!

I lost it!!

Hey we are here to learn,if you can‘t give us the grace of learning why should we bother!!

All of a sudden one of them questioned my T.I.
(Time In)

DOH!!! WRONG QUESTION!!!!!!

Me;HEY **** HEAD I‘VE SERVED WITH 3FD SQN BEFORE IT BECAME 1 C.E.R.!!

Who the F are you to question me! and what‘s your problem?
We are here to learn but with your attitude why should we bother!!

The mess whent quiet!
After me pointing out my T.I. in trhe Wack.

Then they started sucking up,and the funny thing was one of them was a cook(Spanky) who came from Pet. knew my brother who was in Pet as a Zipper Head at the time.

After that we had our own table‘s to study and some of the Reg‘s even came over to help and give advice.

Yes we reservist‘s do go through **** when dealing with the Reg.‘s.

Do as I have alway‘s done say ;I‘m here to learn,teach me if I screw up let me know!!

You won‘t go wrong.

I‘m in the Air Reserves, and I‘ve worked 6 1/2 of my 7 years in on Class B or C. I‘ve been on tour, and all of my courses have been done with the Reg Force. I‘m proud to be a reservist, but it makes me sick when I go away and all I get is negative stories from Reg force guys who have worked with reservists. I‘m sick of hearing about weekend BMQs and PLQs, and the reserve officer I saw who was so fat that she had to have a patch sewn into the back of her combats doesn‘t help my opinion either. There are a lot of good people out there, but the fact that CFRC turns away qualified people who would make great soldiers and picks up these kids who have no respect or sense of duty is dragging the whole system down. 16 years old and a MCpl eh? Well I‘ve seen 20 years old but he didn‘t earn that rank and there isn‘t a person out there that would respect that rank. Maybe the militia would do better to follow the air reserves example and start doing proper courses. There‘s no way I‘m trusting someone with a 6 weekend BMQ overseas :p

Flame me if you must, and yes I know that not all militia are bad. There are a lot that are great, but the good ones need to straighten out the bad.

Chimo

If I‘m not mistaken, the length of a BMQ is 24 days followed by a 10 day army qualification course. Then followed by the trade course. The total amount of training days for the PTE (r) to become a PTE (t) is 60 to 70 days. Then if that person wishes to serve overseas, they normally must have at least one year in the reserves(there may be exceptions). So don‘t worry Feral you will never serve a tour overseas with one!!!
But I know what you mean and I really do sympathize with you all. As I am one of the fatties have always been able to do well and not be a sack of **** , it irks me to see people like that and they should get c&P then the boot.

Well even so, why do the regs do longer BMQs? I think that no matter what, the courses should all be up to the reg standard, and there is no reason why they can‘t be intermixed. We need people, especially now, but those people need to be properly trained. I‘ve always been proud of being Canadian, especially as a service member. I hear stories about how the PPCLI outperformed the US forces in Afghanistan, how our boys and girls consistently perform well in the international fighter competitions, and how the CF always does well in other international competitions like Silver Flag. We may not have the equipment or the funding of a lot of countries, but we‘ve always made up with for it with good training and good people. Is it so hard to train the militia to a reg force standard? Maybe I‘m missing something but I don‘t think it‘s too much to ask.

Chimo..

I‘m always hearing how much canadian soldiers out perform american ones. While the few times i‘ve worked with american soldiers i wasn‘t always impressed with the quality of the soldiers present, at platoon level, the same can often be said about some of ours. They have a lot of combat and operational experience, we don‘t. I‘m sure a lot of what you here is standard we are better than them, my course was harder than your course, the courses today are so much easier then when I went through basic training etc..
You don‘t see many fat over weight american combat arms soldiers do you?
In my opinion on an individual level were usually exposed to more training and because of the lack of man power, our guys are cross trained a lot more. In physical fitness, fire support, logistics, combat team stuff (the list goes on) they blow us away.

Why can‘t reserves be trained to the level of the reg force during their basic training? Time. They can put their guys on a basic training course for 3 months and then send them away for 4 months or even a year. When you train reservsts you have to take into consideration their work and school. Guys in school, the main body of reserves, can only trainw hen they have time off school, ie the summer. We have to cram as much training as possible into 6 or 7 weeks (whatever). These guys are having so much information thrown at them that half the stuff doesnt sink in and their not exposed to military life as long as their reg force counter parts are. It‘s all about the time available.

Back