• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Platinum Jubilee

kratz

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The start of a year celebrating and acknowledging 70 years of dedication and the service of
HRM Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada and the Commonwealth.

Thank you for your service.

We raised the Platinum Jubilee flag at our place this morning. for the first time.PJ_Flagpole_photo_003_06Feb2022.png

Links to Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee Medal issued by provinces:
Alberta,
Nova Scotia, and
Saskatchewan

From a newsletter I received:

Nova Scotia and Saskatchewan have decided that their outstanding volunteers should be recognized as having emulated The Queen's more than 70 years of devotion to the well-being of others.

Filling the vacuum left by Ottawa's shameful refusal to issue a national Honour in the Canadian tradition - backed by multi-partisan support in the Commons as by Canadians from coast to coast to coast - the March 29 announcements by the provinces' Lieutenant Governors reflect the desire to see Platinum Jubilee celebrations - unique in history - to focus on generous service to others rather than merely holding a good party!

The Nova Scotia decision to award 5000 Medals was explained in a government release as follows: "A new commemorative medal has been created to mark the 70th anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the Throne....will be a tangible way for the province to honour The Queen’s service while also honouring the significant contributions and achievements made by residents." Premier Tim Houston stated that "Honouring the Queen’s historic legacy in this way provides an opportunity to meaningfully recognize those contributions, mark our many cultural ties to the monarchy and celebrate the call to service that is a hallmark of our way of life in Nova Scotia.”

7000 Jubilee Medals will be awarded in Saskatchewan. "Her Majesty has been an example of steadfast service to us all as Queen of Canada for 70 years," Premier Scott Moe said. "The Government of Saskatchewan is proud to have created this commemorative medal to recognize her reign and to acknowledge those in our province who continue to make Saskatchewan a great place to live, work and play."

WHICH PROVINCE MIGHT BE NEXT? The word on the path of loyalty suggests that at least one other Atlantic province is considering a Jubilee Medal; Ontario Premier Doug Ford is said to have promised to do so should his government win re-election. Readers living outside AB, SK and NS should encourage their Premiers, both directly and via their provincial Members, to follow the admirable example of their counterparts.

First I heard Manitoba has also issued a medal. Good catch.

It appears all the medals are standardised, with the only notable change, being the provincial emblem on the back.

Yep, 1000 province wide, with 8 going to each of the RCN, Army, and RCAF.

Yep, 1000 province wide, with 8 going to each of the RCN, Army, and RCAF.

GOFOs across Canada be like ...

GIF by Brett Eldredge

Out of curiousity, if these are provincial 'medals' would they be authorized to wear with DEUs?

After the mess that was the last batch, I shudder a bit at the 8 per element, so hope the answer is no.

Out of curiousity, if these are provincial 'medals' would they be authorized to wear with DEUs?

After the mess that was the last batch, I shudder a bit at the 8 per element, so hope the answer is no.

Maybe.

. . . Permission has been sought from the Office of the Governor General of Canada to have this medal included in the Order of Precedence with the other commemorative medals of the Canadian Honours System.

I contacted DHH for clarification. They are looking into it so until clarification comes thru a CANFORGEN you can only wear it on the day you are presented with the medal.

I contacted DHH for clarification. They are looking into it so until clarification comes thru a CANFORGEN you can only wear it on the day you are presented with the medal.

My understanding is that although these are provincial honours, they will likley be added to the Canadian Order of Precedence, similar to how the Alberta and Saskatchewan Centennial Medals were. That is, those CAF members that receive these provincial Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medals will be able to wear them in uniform along with other Canadian Honours (after the CD).

Can they be somewhere in the order of precedence where you accidentally stepped on one and it was stuck to your sole?

Back