• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about medals

It is my understanding that once the medal is gazetted, the recipients can wear the ribbon before the medal is actually presented.

I was told when I was awarded a Medal and had to await the ceremony, that as soon as it appears on the MPRR you are entitled to wear the ribbon.

BulletMagnet said:
...once the medal is gazetted, the recipients can wear the ribbon...
...as soon as it appears on the MPRR you are entitled to wear the ribbon.
The modern, electronic, version of gazetting.

Journeyman said:
The modern, electronic, version of gazetting.

Extra, Extra, read all about it! PeopleSoft has finally been updated with your personal details!

Beadwindow 7 said:
Extra, Extra, read all about it! PeopleSoft has finally been updated with your personal details!
  :facepalm:

~ahem~  ".....For some governments, publishing information in a gazette was, or is, a legal necessity by which official documents came into force and entered the public domain. In English, the transitive verb, to gazette, means 'to announce or publish in a gazette' -- especially where gazette refers to such a public journal or a newspaper of record." [Stolen from no-less autoritative a site than Wikipedia!  :nod: ]

Man, why do I feel like every post is a recruiting thread post? Is there a full moon?  ::)

Journeyman said:
Man, why do I feel like every post is a recruiting thread post? Is there a full moon?  ::)[/size]

Maybe it's just your day?

As far as the argument of sacrifice medals and GO's presenting them, Don't know the background, but I have been on parade where a member has received said medal from a LCol. Don't know if the member had already received it, and was presented it again for the benefit of the unit, but it has been done.

I was lucky. Got my GCS in the field, and the bar in an office. Less pomp and circ the better.

Beadwindow 7 said:
Got my GCS in the field, and the bar in an office. Less pomp and circ the better.
My turn -- maybe they've just seen you march?  :nana:

Journeyman said:
My turn -- maybe they've just seen you march?  :nana:

LOL. See! If you don't want to do something, just be bad at it!

Accepting that we only have one side of the story, it's still reasonable to think that 10 months is sufficient time to plan a parade.

Radchris said:
Im getting pissed, my Haiti medal and CD are sitting in the RSM's desk for a year now and the COC keeps saying they are waiting for a parade sometime in the future.
Anything I can do?

I have no suggestions, however CoC COULD plan a parade oh.....lets say weekly...to present things like medals, promotions, awards etc.

Niner can order a parade anytime he/she wants.

Jim Seggie said:
I have no suggestions, however CoC COULD plan a parade oh.....lets say weekly...to present things like medals, promotions, awards etc.

Niner can order a parade anytime he/she wants.

Yup. I'm thinking 15:45 (every\ any) Friday would work!  ;D

Recceguy and Jim, thanks that is my bad. I was wrong about the Col or higher. I was told that by my CoC when i got my SM, and the way that they described it seemed as if it were for all medals.

Again my apologies for the incorrect info.

Jimmy_D said:
Recceguy and Jim, thanks that is my bad. I was wrong about the Col or higher. I was told that by my CoC when i got my SM, and the way that they described it seemed as if it were for all medals.

Again my apologies for the incorrect info.

No sweat  :salute:

The practice of publishing awards does continue in the Canada Gazette. A national award, i.e. OC, ORMM or Bravery Award is Gazetted.

Rifleman62 said:
The practice of publishing awards does continue in the Canada Gazette. A national award, i.e. OC, ORMM or Bravery Award is Gazetted.

Once the award is gazetted, you may use the post nominals Ie ie MB
You may wear the ribbon with DEU but not the medal as the GG has to present the MB.

Jim Seggie said:
Once the award is gazetted, you may use the post nominals Ie ie MB
You may wear the ribbon with DEU but not the medal as the GG has to present the MB.

Actually, you can use the post-nominals as soon as you are informed (the letter from the GG's office tells you that).  Gazetting doesn't necessarily happen at the same time.  In fact, sometimes decorations are not even gazetted until after the insignia has been presented.

Pusser said:
Actually, you can use the post-nominals as soon as you are informed for (the letter from the GG's office tells you that).  Gazetting doesn't necessarily happen at the same time.  In fact, sometimes decorations are not even gazetted until after the insignia has been presented.

As Sgt Major Seggie is a "Sgt Major" and therefore automatically an SME in dress and deportment I'd go with him on this, especially in this case considering the post nominals he's entitled to. :2c:

Back