• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about Sonar and/or Sensor operators...

Anthony

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm just finishing my last year of high school, and have been trying to decide which military branch and career I'd like to shoot for. The ones that look the most interesting to me are the Navy's Electrical Sensor Operator, and the Sonar Operator. I basically wanted to know how math intensive these two trades are? I'm a good A-B student, but in the math arena it's more C+ish depending on the specific math subject. Would I be in over my head?

Also, what are these trades like in general? Are they fun? Rewarding? What do these guys do on a day-to-day basis?

This is my first post here so I hope it's ok, I did try to search for previous topics on this subject but couldn't seem to find anything.  Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Psssst its Naval Electronic Sensor Operator....most sensor trades do require a certain degree of math ability but unless you cannot add 2+2 then you should not have a problem. It never hurts to brush up on your math skills though.

aesop081 said:
Whats 2+2 ?

;D

Put in tems you would understand.
1 piece of bread plus another equals a peanutbutter sandwich. Something which I do belive you are far too farmilliar with.
2 pieces of bread Plus 2 pieces of bread equals 2 peanut butter sandwiches
3 Pieces of bread plus 3 pieces ............

mover1 said:
Put in tems you would understand.
1 piece of bread plus another equals a peanutbutter sandwich. Something which I do belive you are far too farmilliar with.
2 pieces of bread Plus 2 pieces of bread equals 2 peanut butter sandwiches
3 Pieces of bread plus 3 pieces ............

What if you cut your sandwich in quarters is it still one sandwich or 4? :D

Ex-Dragoon said:

back on topic gents...... :threat:

Ex-Dragoon said:

Really it depends on your PBTC ratio. (Peanut Butter toatsed crust)
IE if its an open faced piece of toast with peanut butter on it then its a sanwich.
If its cut into fours then its just one sanwich divided into quarters. A quareter being roughly .25 of a whole unit equalling one.
I do not want to confuse anyone one here, seeing that aesop don't even know what the 2+2 is.
SO I KEEP IT SIMPLE, and try not to equate fractions or confuse him. I know he thinks Dewey Decimal is a member of Run DMC and I want to keep his last bit of chilhood ignorance unscathed.

So for the record if it has 2 pieces of bread and peanut butter its a sandwich. No matter how large or how those individual bits are.

NESOP...

Nintendo Entertainment System Operator???

Or have I been mistaken all this time....

Yes, math is probably a good thing, especially your trigenometry for doing TMA, but you get calculators, and it's not so hard.  No calculus that I know of....I'm a Sonar Techie though, so I did get Calculus to deal with....not so much fun.

NS

Hi Anthony,

It would appear that all you received was sarcasm and ridicule as answers to your questions.   I will try my best to provide a reasonable response.   As a NESOP or SONAR OP you will be required to use some basic algebra.   Probably something around the grade X level.    SONAR OPs deal with underwater sound travel and all the physics involved in that environment while NES OPs look at UHF-SHF frequency transmissions and the above water environment.  

After your training in Esquimalt, you will be employed on a ship.   As a ordinary seaman, you will initially be tasked with seemingly sh*tty jobs doing cleaning stations (janitorial work), painting, studying the ship's layout, standing duty watches, and any job that comes your way.   This is the same throughout the CF for new folks.   Tuff it out!   It goes away.   You will be in the middle of an on the job training program where you will progress and upgrade to able seaman.  

When the ship fights, its the SONAR OPs, NCI OPs, and NES OPs that put the weight behind the offensive punches.   You will be thrilled while you are involved in an above or below water battle as you provide tactical information to your combat officer or tactical director.

Eventually, 4-5 years, you will be a supervisor and be training new SONAR OPs or NES OPs.   The Canadian Navy has a proud tradition.   I wish you well as you enter the service.

Good Luck!  

Well well. Sonar op here. I would like to say first off that SHF has it nailed down pretty good. We are always looking for fresh meat.... (joking) Eager young operators. This trade is a great trade with lots of opportunities. I was a member of the boarding party for 2 years and had a great deal of fun. I have had the opportunity to really get know alot of great people and work alongside some really smart ones. Like any trade Sonar op is what you make of it. If you put your best foot forward and show up to work on time and do a great job, you can go really far. Always remember that the first trade you pick doesn't not have to be your last one. :) Good luck and lets us know what you decide.

I have a couple of questions which I have tried to find the answers to both at army.ca and dnd.ca but I have had no luck so Iam hoping someone might be able to help me out with this.

1) What are the watch hours and lengths of deployment for a new sonar op in general and also how long do you stay in your home port in between deployments?
2) What are the crew quarters like for NCM's
3) In your opinions what would the training you recieve as a sonar op be used for in the civ world? I really would like a career in the Navy but its always good to know your options.

Thank you.

ambex said:
I have a couple of questions which I have tried to find the answers to both at army.ca and dnd.ca but I have had no luck so Iam hoping someone might be able to help me out with this.

1) What are the watch hours and lengths of deployment for a new sonar op in general and also how long do you stay in your home port in between deployments?
2) What are the crew quarters like for NCM's
3) In your opinions what would the training you recieve as a sonar op be used for in the civ world? I really would like a career in the Navy but its always good to know your options.

Thank you.

Hi Ambex,

I'm an Acoustic Tech, not an operator, but I've got a few things in common, I share the same watch rotation (1/2, called "One in Two") and my quarters are equivelant. 

The watch rotation you'll stand will typically be 5 hours on, 5 off, 7 on 7 off, so 12 hours per day, split into a 5 and 7 hour shift.  The shifts will either go from 0800-1300 and 1800-0100  or from 0100-0800 and 1300-1800.  So basically, if you work the watch from 1 AM to 8 AM, you're off watch for a nap in the fore-noon, then back on for the afternoon, off from after dinner until you get up for your watch around midnight.

Things you'll do on watch will include operating the various acoustic sensors (the stuff I fix) as well as standing lookout watches and other positions when special parties are closed up.  You could end up tasked as an assistant loader on a .50 cal machine-gun crew (seen it) or a member of the boarding party, etc.  There's a lot of stuff there to do, and with 230 people on a ship, there's a lot of cross training and work.

Sleeping quarters.  Well, usually the SONARops are in 10 mess, which has bunks for about a dozen people I think.  (12-15?) Anyhow, you'll end up with a bunk and a locker, the bunk is big enough for me to fit comfortably (and I'm just shy of 6') and the locker has a surprising way of holding just about whatever you shove in it.  There's also room in the mess for hanging clothes (ie suit-bag) plus a couch and TV set with a DVD Player (and usually a game-cube that one of the guys brings in too.)  Roomy?  No.  Adequate?  Yup. 

As to your job options outside?  Well, if you stay in just 3 years and pull the pin, you limit your options.

NavyShooter

Good Day Ambex, So you want to join the Navy.
To anwser you questions
Sonar Operators Usually stand a 1 and 2 watch system. Which means that position are manned 24/7. So lets say the PORT Watch works 0730-1230(Morning Watch) The STARBOARD Watch works 1230-1730 (Afternoon Watch) PORT Wacth works 1730-0030(First Watch) and STARBOARD Watch works 0030-0730(Mids Watch). This is repeated day in adn day out until you go into to port. I know that probably seems pretty crazy. I know it did to me when i first heard it. It is actually not that bad.

Sleeping arangements very depending on what class of ship you get. I was on a CPF (Halifax Class), adn we slept 12 people to a mess. You have your own bunk and your own locker for your personal gear. You usually have people from the same trade in your mess.

As far as Civilian qualifications go, it all depends on what you do with your career. Don't expect to have any qualification for the outside world after 3 years of service. You spend a great deal of time learning about opceanography, this is your bread and butter. You will learn how to operate CPF sonar equipment. If you are truely interested in Oceanography I suggest you study hard while being a Sonar Op and you may get a posting to the Bedford Institue of Oceanography. There are many options.

I have been in for 5 years and have had lots fun. Been to lots of places. The time away from home will vary with the ship you are posted to. I have seen it all as far as time home.

So i closing if you want to become a Sonar Op for sure start getting into some sound theory now. Familerize yourself with the terms: HZ, Sound Speed, Period... things along those lines.

Good Luck and odn't hesitate to PM me and ask some more questions :)

Thank you for the responses, they cleared up the water so to speak as to what I can be expecting.

Back