• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about the language

lcl024

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everybody!  Sorry if this topic have  already been covered  but I could'nt find an answer to my question. I'm applying in the regular force as an Infanteer or combat Engineer  and I told my recruiter that I did'nt really  care if  they send me to an English unit since I consider my knowledge of my second language to be acceptable .His answer left me a little bit confused ,he told me that if I choose to go on an English course and then I fail because of a language barrier  I would be release from the Cf.

-I was wondering if  this was accurate ?? would 'nt they try to transfer me on a french course before  kicking me out?

-How much will the instructors understand and give me a chance to addapt during the first few weeks of BMQ?

I'm confident in my skills but you never know sometimes when you're Under pressure ... and I dont want to put a carrer at risk for that. So if anybody here have any story to share or answer to my question ..Feel free to share

Thanks .

I would believe that they want you to indicate your main language so they don't have to juggle you around if you are put on to a course given in a language you do not understand. And if you have indicated that you are fluent in the language and it turns out you do not understand enough, they just might see that as lying on your application thus rendering you terminated. Is your first language something other than english or french?? If so, then you might be ok if you are fluent enough in one or the other. Just my  :2c: If anyone else has other input, please advise.

lcl024 said:
Hi everybody!  Sorry if this topic have  already been covered  but I could'nt find an answer to my question. I'm applying in the regular force as an Infanteer or combat Engineer  and I told my recruiter that I did'nt really  care if  they send me to an English unit since I consider my knowledge of my second language to be acceptable .His answer left me a little bit confused ,he told me that if I choose to go on an English course and then I fail because of a language barrier  I would be release from the Cf.

-I was wondering if  this was accurate ?? would 'nt they try to transfer me on a french course before  kicking me out?

-How much will the instructors understand and give me a chance to addapt during the first few weeks of BMQ?

I'm confident in my skills but you never know sometimes when you're Under pressure ... and I dont want to put a carrer at risk for that. So if anybody here have any story to share or answer to my question ..Feel free to share

Thanks .

You should try posting your question in the Ask a CAF Recruiter thread. You'll probably get more of a response in there.

I signed up in French, got placed on a Francophone BMQ, got injured, got better, and had to wait for another Francophone BMQ. Since there are less of them, and I am fluently bilingual, I talked to my staff to see about transferring to an Anglophone platoon. They informed that unfortunately, without language testing (which they are not prepared to do at CFLRS) they could not in good conscience place me on an Anglophone platoon because my profile says I'm French. If I were to fail, I could claim it was due to language issues and that is something they want to avoid. I still wrote my memo requesting my transfer, which apparently was approved somewhere down the line as my QL3s were in English.
We had a guy on my platoon who was almost unilingual English, he could understand French but couldn't speak it. He was constantly being picked on by staff. He made it through, but just barely.
Most instructors are bilingual but they will tell you they don't have time to explain the instructions in multiple languages so get your act together.

Once you are done basic, then work on contacting the BPSO's office to get language testing done. Once you have proven you language ability, then you can take courses in any language.

Thanks for the answers! I've been offered an infanteer position since my original post and my bmq will be in french .my recruiter told me that I will probably be sent to the r22r  since i'm french so ...
Anyways thanks again for your time guys it was appreciated!

Cheers :subbies:

lcl024 said:
Thanks for the answers! I've been offered an infanteer position since my original post and my bmq will be in french .my recruiter told me that I will probably be sent to the r22r  since i'm french so ...
Anyways thanks again for your time guys it was appreciated!

Cheers :subbies:

Congratutions on your offer, when's your BMQ date?

Back