• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question- is the WES headset compatible with the Skydex/Oregon Aero helmet kit?

brihard

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
So I just recently got a skydex kit, which I quite enjoy, but then it occured to me that I don't know how the Weapon Effect Simulator receivers attach to the helmet. I'm at CMTC for a couple weeks in August, and I need to find this out. Is the WES headset at all dependent on the issued helmet suspension to attach, or is it just cinched on the outside of the helmet like the old MILES gear? I had to modify my helmet cover and scrim to fit with the new kit; I have horrible visions of having to jury-rig a WES headband without getting caught...

Can anyone with WES experience and familiarity with the helmet pad kits tell me if I have a problem coming, or am I good to go?

G2G I think. I seen no problems with the system.  ;D

The headset was very adjustable, I don't think you'll have any issues. I just really wish it was wireless, stupid embellical cable kept getting stuck on my crew headset.

SuperSlug said:
The headset was very adjustable, I don't think you'll have any issues. I just really wish it was wireless, stupid embellical cable kept getting stuck on my crew headset.

I just need to know how it physically attaches to the helmet... As long as it's not plastic tabs like the helmet cover or scrim net I should be fine.

You will have no problem. The GPS antenna and six sensors are attached via a web type thinger that sits on your head like a 4 armed starfish, there are elastic and adjustable straps jobbies to keep it tight on your helmet. That is the word for word technical definition. ;)

Be advised, I once saw one kicking around that was incorporated into a regular helmet cover, in that case you might need some more velcro or duct tape or whatever it is you used to secure your helmet cover to your helmet. Although, it's unlikely you will have that kind of sensor.

The combat camera website has some high res pictures that show what it looks like:

<a href="http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_e.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=21102&site=combatcamera">Far View</a>

<a href="http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_e.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=21106&site=combatcamera">Close View</a>

I saw a lot of people on my last ex that didn't even put the WES receiver on their helmet, it was too restrictive of movement.  I had no issues when I did ply with it putting it on.. the only hiccup is when you use the NVGs with the gear on.

Had people like me... with the god gun... killing you Bzz... hehe.  ;D

Bzzliteyr said:
I saw a lot of people on my last ex that didn't even put the WES receiver on their helmet, it was too restrictive of movement.  I had no issues when I did ply with it putting it on.. the only hiccup is when you use the NVGs with the gear on.

...doesn't the WES emitter need a clear line of sight to the helmet receiver to function? Like, if you don't have your headset on, it won't shoot the laser, to prevent cheating?

The Headset is connected though it is strapped to the shoulder so it can still "see" the weapon.  I can't guarantee that the laser hits well but it does shoot...

Back