• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
What was the nick name of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and why in WW1?
Thought I start the quiz again. ;)

The Blue Puttees, because of their lack of material leading to scrounging, for the ankle-wrappings.

They were also called the "first 500"

d‘oh, beaten to the punch!

Don‘t you think question of the hour is a long time? :D

my excuse is I have 2 exams tomorrow, and this site is a great distraction from studying :(

ooh! (--Edit: And here I thought I was fast--)

A. The Blue Puttees

"The Newfoundland Regiment was raised from scratch and their uniforms were homespun. However, when the time came to make the puttee, the strip of cloth that goes around the soldier‘s calf like a legging, they could not find any more of the khaki broadcloth used for the uniforms. So, from some place, they scrounged blue broadcloth and from that they made the puttees. Hence the nickname of the Newfoundland Regiment, the Blue Puttees."
(from The War Amps: Canada‘s Military Heritage)

Sergeant-Major F.P. LeGrow? edit- only name I could find - but I‘m going to sleep now, happy hunting! :boring:

The first Sgt/Maj. when they first went over I should say.

They wear grey because of that 1812 battle under Winfried Scott, right? - it was the uniform of his soldiers.

Mr. Dorosh - the blue puttees during WWII were worn by the Glamour Boys - 48th Highlanders of Canada, the Dirty Four Dozen.

Well, I found the nominal roll for RNR online, and there are 6 RSM‘s on it:

338 RSM Galgay Nicholas Augustus
1385 RSM Gullicksen Ernest
404 RSM LeGrow Frederick P
51 RSM Patrick Neil
534 RSM Paver George
909 RSM Peckham Harry R

Since Neil Patrick has the lowest regimental number, he‘s probably the first.

http://ngb.chebucto.org/NFREG/index1.html

Originally posted by Kirkpatrick:
[qb] They wear grey because of that 1812 battle under Winfried Scott, right? - it was the uniform of his soldiers. [/qb]
Correct. The Battle of Chippawa in 1814. The Americans had run out of blue cloth, and had to issue uniforms made from grey cloth. It was the first victory in the war in which American regulars defeated British regulars. The West Point Cadet uniform is a reminder of this feat.

Follow up question. Why did the US regulars win that battle?

BTW right answer on the RSM of the RNLDR.

"brain warmed up" ...because the defenders were led by a foolish Irishman :(

Rial thought it was "nothing but a body of Buffalo militia!" because of their non-regulation clothing.

Scott then accomplished a series of tricky parade ground manoeuvres, while the British were halted by heavy artillary fire. Scott launched a bayonet charge, and it was over

:warstory:
However, the victorious Americans were halted shortly after at the Battle of Lundy‘s lane, the bloodiest on Canadian soil, with roughly 800 dead on both sides, and bringing new meaning to ‘friendly fire‘.

In WW2 how many Carrier Pigeons went into action?
Yup we used them! :eek:

Also what was one of the methods the Japanese used to destroy tanks in WW2? ;) :D

Don‘t know the bird question, but remember a long time ago being taught about the tank question. It wasn‘t normal protocol, but they used to dig a hole in the road, climb in with an aerial bomb or arty round and hammer. Get covered over and when a tank crossed over them they would detonate the bomb or artilley round with the hammer. Land borne Kamakazie! :eek: Even got an old pam around here somewhere with a cross cut drawing of the setup.

Originally posted by recceguy:
[qb] Don‘t know the bird question, but remember a long time ago being taught about the tank question. It wasn‘t normal protocol, but they used to dig a hole in the road, climb in with an aerial bomb or arty round and hammer. Get covered over and when a tank crossed over them they would detonate the bomb or artilley round with the hammer. Land borne Kamakazie! :eek: Even got an old pam around here somewhere with a cross cut drawing of the setup. [/qb]
Yup correct on the anti tank,nothing like a bang for your buck ;)

As to the birdies it was 56,000.

So where does the computer term "bug" come from?
Yes it‘s Military related.
Not own Military but still History. ;)

Back