• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Casing said:
Spr.Earl said:
Casing said:
What modern day group/organization can trace their lineage to WWII volunteer SeeBees?
The U.S.N's. Construction Batallions.

Not what I'm looking for. Think high profile.

I've tried a search but came up with Zilch.
Off the top of my head could it be the Civie side of the Corps Of Engineers?
As they deal with dams,levee's,bridges etc for the whole U.S.

Ok, the spelling may have thrown you off. I've seen it spelled both SeeBees and SeaBees.  So I double checked the spelling and it is actually SeaBees.  That should help.  Also, the Naval Construction Batallions essentially are the SeaBees.  So you are on the right track.  What came after the NCBs?

Ok Casing let me try.

During WWII The US Navy's UDT ( Under Water Demolition Teams) drew their volunteers from the SeaBees.

In the 1960's the UDTs provided the recruits for the US Navy's newest units , the Sea Air Land Sp ops teams or as we know them SEALs. So is that high profile enough, and what do I win? ;D

Heck, I was gonna toss SEALS into the air, merely because its what you think of when you hear "Navy" and "high profile"  ;D

I figure thats the right answer too.

Danjanou, you are correct!   Nice break down too.   Your reward is that you now get to pose a question, of course.    :salute:

Sorry, Kirkpatrick, you were just too slow.   ;D

Good one Casing,and theres me thinking on the construction side.

In what year was the designation "Royal" approved for the Army's schools? And which schools did it apply to at that time?

The earliest references that I've been able to find are for RMC and RCAS (Royal Canadian Artillery School). RMC was granted the title "Royal" by Queen Victoria in 1878, and according to the RCA website, the Schools of Gunnery in both Kingston and Quebec City were granted the title "Royal" by 1880.

I haven't been able to find any other historical references so far.

From General order 68 of 1927:

TITLE "ROYAL" -- PERMANENT SCHOOLS OF INSTRUCTION

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the title "Royal" being borne by the undermentioned Permanent Schools of Instruction at the places named, which schools will now bear the designations given below:--

School Location
"The Royal Canadian School of Cavalry" Toronto, Ont. [br]St. Johns, P.Q.[br]Winnipeg, Man. [br]Calgary, Alta.
"The Royal Canadian School of Artillery" Kingston, Ont.[br]Winnipeg, Man.[br]Halifax, N.S. [br]Esquimault, B.C.
"The Royal Canadian School of Military Engineering" Halifax, N.S.
"The Royal Canadian School of Signals" Camp Borden, Ont.
"The Royal Canadian School of Infantry" St. Johns, P.Q.
"The Royal Canadian School of Infantry and Machine Guns" London, Ont.[br]Toronto, Ont. [br]Quebec, P.Q.[br]Halifax, N.S. [br]Esquimault,B.C.[br]Winnipeg, Man.

H.Q. 313-9-56
P.C. 1472 of 4-8-27​

Bill Smy said:
Casing said:
Spr.Earl said:
What does the â Å“Dâ ? in D-Day stand for?

D for Day (of operation). In this case, June 6, 1944.

I had always been led to believe that the "D" stood for "Departure"

Found this explanation:

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/faq/ddaydef.htm

We've all been on military courses, some with Pass/Fail gradings, others with letter grades (A, B, C, F). But the Army doesn't use a "D" grade, and that omission was for a specific reason when letter gradings were standardized for Canadian Army courses. What was that reason?

In 1946, qualification ratings for Army courses were standardized by Canadian Army Routine Order 6687. In this order, the grades A, B, C, E and F were rated as "Outstanding", "Above Average", "Average", "Below Average" and "Failed", respectively. The use of the letter grade "D" was specifically omitted to ensure there would be no confusion with its former significance indicating a "Distinguished" pass.

What did the Fusiliers Mont Royal lose in 1944? When was it returned to them?

What Canadian regiment has the unique distinction of capturing an enemy regimental colour?

The 41st Regiment under the comand of Major General Sir Isaac Brock, Captured the colours of the 4th Regiment of the United States Infantry, durring the capture of Fort Detroit, August 16th, 1812.

Thats what I was going to say, but it was a British regiment stationed in Canada during the time period of the War of 1812.   Unless that counts.   Other than that, I'm stumped on both questions.   :-\

addition - I actually started searching french canadian sites late last night to find the answer, using my rudimentary french.  Its too hot here to sleep.  :evil:

yeah, I couldn't think of the Fusiliers Mont Royal question either, I am currently looking for the answer, but having no luck. I love google, but sometime, if you don't have the exact right wording, your SOL.

Kirkpatrick said:
Thats what I was going to say, but it was a British regiment stationed in Canada during the time period of the War of 1812.   Unless that counts.   Other than that, I'm stumped on both questions.   :-\

addition - I actually started searching french canadian sites late last night to find the answer, using my rudimentary french.   Its too hot here to sleep.   :evil:

As I said "Canadian" regiment.  :cdn: Right war. Wrong General and wrong battle. And the engagement was on Upper Canada soil.

Back