• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Bill good point.

Ok guys if possible try and use the quote function to capture the original question or at least include part of it ie"RSM" or "Baker Rifle" as a prelude to your post. I realise that some posts/questions are obvious but others are not, ands ometime it gets hot and heavy in here, which to quote a certain ex-con "is a good thing."

Campaign stars - how about......

1939 - 1945 Star (battle of Britain clasp)
Atlantic Star  (+air crew europe clasp)
Africa Star (Nrth Africa 42- 43 clasp )  (8th army OR 1st Army Clasp)
Air Crew Europe Star (Atlantic clasp)
Burma Star (Pacific clasps............
France & Germany Star (france & Germany clasp)
Italy Star
Pacific Star (Burma Clasp)
8 star medals with distinct ribbons
8 different clasps

Only one unit reached their D-Day objective on June 6, 1944. One unit out of all allied forces landing on the beaches on D-Day! What Canadian Regiment has the claim to this?

Only one unit reached their D-Day objective on June 6, 1944. One unit out of all allied forces landing on the beaches on D-Day! What Canadian Regiment has the claim to this?

That would be the the troop of tanks from "C" Squadron 1st Hussars commanded by Lt. McCormick who was supporting the Royal Winnipeg Rifles.

Geo's answer on Campaign stars is the one I was seeking.  It is interesting to note that only the Italy Star has no bar associated with it and only one bar per star could be worn.

This should be an easy one:

What was the name and rank of the German officer who surrendered Holland in WW2, where and when did the official surrender take place and who received that surrender?

The Instrument of Surrender was entered at Luneburg, Germany 4 May 1945 and became operative 5 May 1945.

Signed by below at 1830 hrs 4 May 45:

General Admiral Von Freidburg (signed first), then
Kinsel,
G. Wagner,
Poeeck,
Friedel

and was accepted by Field Marshall BL Montgomery.

Modified for: Can't spell 'general' today.

Army Vern, that's an impressive answer about the end of WW2,  but it has little to do with the surrender in Holland, which is the event that the question asks about.

Well sorry :-[ . I'm certainly no expert. I tried though!! I should phone and wake my Gramps up...he was there... maybe I can get him to talk about it finally.  :'(

Well sorry . I'm certainly no expert. I tried though!!

Army Vern, it is still a thorough answer, it's just the wrong question; perhaps putting that good effort to the Holland question will return the correct answer.

The Instrument of surrender was entered at Wageningen, Holland on 5th May 1945 in the Hotel de Wereld.

Although the surrender was agreed to at 2000hrs on 5th May 1945, no typewriter could be found and therefore the official document was not signed until the next day.

It was signed by General Von Blaskowitz and was accepted by the Canadian Corps Commander Lt General Charles Foulkes.  ;)

Which National Hockey League icon served as a prosecuting lawyer at the Nurenberg War Crimes trial of Kurt Meyer?

Boy that was quick, Armyvet.

Clarence Sutherland Campbell, MBE  (1905-1984) was TOS 1 Bn The Lincoln and Welland Regiment 15 Feb44. He served as President of the NHL 1946-1977.

armyvern said:
For whom is CFB Borden named and in which position did he serve?

Named after Sir Robert Borden (1894-1937) Prime Minister 1914-1918.

Re: Surrender in Holland.  Good answer Armyvern.  Oberst General (Colonel-General) Johannes Blaskowitz surrended to Canadian Lt. General Foulkes, GOC 1st Canadian Corps at Wageningen as stated.  :)

About Borden - Minister of Militia and Defence, Sir Frederick William Borden

redleafjumper said:
What was the first fixed-gun fighter plane?

Going with the Sopwith Camel here??  ???

And your Borden answer is correct: Minister of Militia and Defence, Sir Frederick William Borden who also just happened to be born in Cornwallis Nova Scotia!

Back